In the Steakhouse....can I....

imaboo

Mr Heald disagrees with you:

MrPete Asked:

John….Please respond.

What kind of lobster is served in the Steakhouse? Is it different if it’s served as an entree or part of the surf and turf?

Specifically, is it cold water/warm water, Maine or otherwise, depending on the dish?

Thanks!

John Says:

Hello MrPete

The Chef tells me we serve cold water Maine lobster for all the dishes at the Steakhouse. I have never had it because I can’t say “no” to the Porterhouse.

Best wishes

John

I disagree with him, at least the last time I was at the steakhouse, in May. They wheeled out all the options, and the lobster tail was clearly a rock lobster, its easy to tell the difference. The other big tip off is NO CLAWS! IF your lobster comes with claws, its a Maine. If it's just a mottled tail, it's Rock.

I came across this link in another thread a few weeks ago. My understanding is that the menu is pretty standard on all ships. I'm approaching my first cruise so I can't confirm this.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DinnerDesserts_master.html

I thought the same thing and booked the Steakhouse according to a menu online (knowing I was taking a chance) the menu was different on the night we booked but it all worked out. The food was good but I do not think we will book it again.

On our NCL cruise last year we could order 2nd's of anything at their specialty restaurants so DH tried to order 2 of something at the Steakhouse on the Dream and was told he could do this BUT it would take the place of his appetizer or vice versa :(

Just remember, even in the Steakhouse the lobster tail is Rock/Caribbean Lobster, not Maine. The only Maine Lobster is in the Lobster Ravioli they offer.
Sorry but you are mistaken. The Lobster in the Steakhouse IS from Maine - both the Maitre D' and Executive Chef at the Nouveau Steakhouse on Spirit confirmed this to me.

Normally, we go to the Steakhouse on the second Cruise Elegant night in the MDR. On our Alaskan cruise that we just got back from, we went on Saturday night (after our incredible day in Juneau). We always book while on board, and we have never been turned away.

Sorry but you are mistaken. The Lobster in the Steakhouse IS from Maine - both the Maitre D' and Executive Chef at the Nouveau Steakhouse on Spirit confirmed this to me.

They can confirm it all you want. They even had 'maine' loster tail on the menu in the MDR, we asked the waiter if it really was, since we are from maine and my family owns a seafood company. He said, oh yes, it is carribbean tail after all. Most folks just don't know the difference.

The tail in the steakhouse is carribbean as well, although it is HUGE. Listen people, if it's a Maine lobster, it's gonna have claws. Otherwise, its a nice, flashfrozen, carribean lobster tail. If you look at the shell, you can tell. It's a much lighter color with mottled black.

So, because you didn't have claws in your lobster ravioli, you deduced the lobster was from Maine?

Again, I'll listen to the messaih before I listen to you.

No, I am not sure if it is Maine or not. The MD in the steakhouse mearly told me that the only Maine lobster they had was the meat in the Ravioli. Which would make sense, because picked meat is easier to freeze and transport.

Come on Mr. P, I know you've been to plenty of nice restaurants and gotten a nice big, red, Maine lobster with claws and little legs and the whole 9 yards. That's just not the same as you're going to get on a cruise, it's gonna be a flashfrozen carribbean lobster tail. 95% of Maine lobster are shipped live and whole, because they can get a premium price that way. Most of the rest are culls and are picked out for meat. Almost all frozen lobster tails (except the expensive ones you see on QVC) are carribbean lobster. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think the meat is still pretty good. Just a little stronger flavor and a little chewy.

No, I am not sure if it is Maine or not. The MD in the steakhouse mearly told me that the only Maine lobster they had was the meat in the Ravioli. Which would make sense, because picked meat is easier to freeze and transport.

Come on Mr. P, I know you've been to plenty of nice restaurants and gotten a nice big, red, Maine lobster with claws and little legs and the whole 9 yards. That's just not the same as you're going to get on a cruise, it's gonna be a flashfrozen carribbean lobster tail. 95% of Maine lobster are shipped live and whole, because they can get a premium price that way. Most of the rest are culls and are picked out for meat. Almost all frozen lobster tails (except the expensive ones you see on QVC) are carribbean lobster. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think the meat is still pretty good. Just a little stronger flavor and a little chewy.

Actually, I've only had lobster once, at least 25 years ago.

It was looking at me.

But I couldn't tell a Portuguese lobster from a cardboard one.

Actually, I've only had lobster once, at least 25 years ago.

It was looking at me.

But I couldn't tell a Portuguese lobster from a cardboard one.

Oh come on Mr. P, you're getting me all fired up for no reason?! Alright, you got me that time.:)

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for a small moment but....

CalmCruiserNC

I had to tell you I absolutely love your personality and attitude that comes across in your posting. :)

Although not a 200+ Lb body builder, my DH is a 65 year old body builder and can eat like an entire horse team and he would definetely agree with what you said..

Hope we can cruise with you and your DW someday.

He will definitely get plenty to eat -- they start by giving you a great assortment of breads with a variety of interesting butters and tampenades and an "amuse bouche" courtesy of the chef. I had a large bowl of AMAZING lobster bisque, a big caesar salad tossed tableside, a 24-oz porterhouse with mushrooms, creamed spinach and wasabi mashed potatoes, ALL THREE sauces for the steak and a ridiculously large slice of the citrus cheesecake. Add to that all of the food my wife ordered but couldn't finish and I waddled out of the restaurant like the prize-winning Porksville Porkette!

Absolutely fantastic food and exceptional service.

Hee! No problem. It went off topic quite a few posts ago. No biggie though. I got my question answered. Thanks everyone. :D

I've never cruised before..

what's the difference between the Steakhouse and the formal dining night?

where can i find prices on the steakhouse dining ?...

and why would people pay to eat in the steakhouse if they can order almost the same things on the formal dining?

and why would people pay to eat in the steakhouse if they can order almost the same things on the formal dining?

Steakhouse is open every night (while formal night is only once or twice a cruise depending on how long the cruise is and is in the MDR). It's reservations only though. It's $30 buck extra a head charged on your room account. The difference is that the food is reportedly superior to anything served in the MDR. Not all ships have steakhouses.

Basically, it's individualized service, cooked exactly to order, in a fine dining setting, all while serving superior cuts of meat.

Steakhouse is open every night (while formal night is only once or twice a cruise depending on how long the cruise is and is in the MDR). It's reservations only though. It's $30 buck extra a head charged on your room account. The difference is that the food is reportedly superior to anything served in the MDR. Not all ships have steakhouses.

thanks for the reply

the price is $30 no matter what you order?

that's not bad at all...

does this include appetizers, starters, desserts and drinks?

thanks for the reply

the price is $30 no matter what you order?

that's not bad at all...

does this include appetizers, starters, desserts and drinks?

Not alcohol, but the rest. It's a nice experience, somewhere on the level (depending on who you ask) of a Flemming's/P. Luger's/Ruth Chris type steakhouse. I consider it worth the extra $, and do it usually one night per cruise.

and how do you know how many nights are formal dining nights and which days?++

i mean, im sailing september 11th and i would like to book the steakhouse dining now, online...

but i would rather have steakhouse on the days that we don't have formal dining night

CalmCruiserNC

I had to tell you I absolutely love your personality and attitude that comes across in your posting. :)

Although not a 200+ Lb body builder, my DH is a 65 year old body builder and can eat like an entire horse team and he would definetely agree with what you said..

Hope we can cruise with you and your DW someday.

Thank you so much for your kind words -- they are truly appreciated! Please let your DH know that I can only hope to still call myself a bodybuilder when I reach 65!

Archived