In the Steakhouse....can I....

imaboo

So I was just talking with DH. I was explaining to him that he could order multiple plates containing lobster on elegant nights in the MDR (he loves lobster - lol). He then asks me, "so can I order extra lobster in the Steakhouse?". I didn't have an answer for him. Those of you who have eaten in the steakhouse - is extra lobster an option?

We ate in the steakhouse twice on our last cruise -- and while it's true that you can't order multiple entrees, the portions are MUCH bigger for all of the courses. I'm a 200+ pound bodybuilder and I could barely finish my meal.

LOL - I read your post to hubby. He laughed and said "Well that should be sufficient then"

*giggle*

The food is plentiful and delicious. Knowing Carnival as I do you could probably order double and triple everything and they might send it out. We are fully satisfied and joyous after our Steakhouse meal. To me it's a little crass. Enjoy the experience.

To me it's a little crass.

I agree, it is a little crass. I mean, if you went to a regular restaurant, you wouldn't be able to ask for more without paying extra. He asked and I didn't know the answer for sure - now I do :)

LOL - I read your post to hubby. He laughed and said "Well that should be sufficient then"

*giggle*

He will definitely get plenty to eat -- they start by giving you a great assortment of breads with a variety of interesting butters and tampenades and an "amuse bouche" courtesy of the chef. I had a large bowl of AMAZING lobster bisque, a big caesar salad tossed tableside, a 24-oz porterhouse with mushrooms, creamed spinach and wasabi mashed potatoes, ALL THREE sauces for the steak and a ridiculously large slice of the citrus cheesecake. Add to that all of the food my wife ordered but couldn't finish and I waddled out of the restaurant like the prize-winning Porksville Porkette!

Absolutely fantastic food and exceptional service.

He will definitely get plenty to eat -- they start by giving you a great assortment of breads with a variety of interesting butters and tampenades and an "amuse bouche" courtesy of the chef. I had a large bowl of AMAZING lobster bisque, a big caesar salad tossed tableside, a 24-oz porterhouse with mushrooms, creamed spinach and wasabi mashed potatoes, ALL THREE sauces for the steak and a ridiculously large slice of the citrus cheesecake. Add to that all of the food my wife ordered but couldn't finish and I waddled out of the restaurant like the prize-winning Porksville Porkette!

Absolutely fantastic food and exceptional service.

Mmmmm - I love lobster bisque! I am looking forward to the experience now more than ever. DH's response - "Wow, that's astounding"

Thank you for your input CalmCruiserNC.

I agree, it is a little crass. I mean, if you went to a regular restaurant, you wouldn't be able to ask for more without paying extra. He asked and I didn't know the answer for sure - now I do :)

I like to see that you agree. In the MDR, the double order is way less crass IMO, as long as you don't over do it. To me surf and turf is cool. Ordering 4 shrimp cocktail is piggish. You and he will LOVE the Steakhouse. We now go twice.

I like to see that you agree. In the MDR, the double order is way less crass IMO, as long as you don't over do it. To me surf and turf is cool. Ordering 4 shrimp cocktail is piggish. You and he will LOVE the Steakhouse. We now go twice.

After reading the menu link posted by kujobie, I think we will probably go twice too. If not by his choice, then by mine - lol. I can see many things I love to eat on the menu. I believe this is not going to be a "weight-loss" experience - lmao.

One last note -- the steakhouses do get booked to capacity quite often, so be sure to make your reservations online ASAP -- and remember that you can cancel without penalty 24 hours prior to your reservation time in case you change your mind.

Yup - we're booked for one night already. I'm thinking of passing up the 2nd elegant night for the steakhouse as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

After reading the menu link posted by kujobie, I think we will probably go twice too. If not by his choice, then by mine - lol. I can see many things I love to eat on the menu. I believe this is not going to be a "weight-loss" experience - lmao.

When you do go make sure to order the chocolate sampler if you are a chocolate lover - it is to die for. The lamb is also awesome. It is one of the few places that have done my steak blue rare to perfection. Oh, I envy you - enjoy

One last note -- the steakhouses do get booked to capacity quite often, so be sure to make your reservations online ASAP -- and remember that you can cancel without penalty 24 hours prior to your reservation time in case you change your mind.

I don't believe this to be true. We usually go once or twice each cruise and have always been able to get the day and time we wanted. And usually there are empty tables when we are there. I suppose every cruise is different and there may be busy times, but we've never experienced that. We're booking online for our upcoming cruise, but only because it's convenient, so we don't have to worry about it when we board.

I don't believe this to be true. We usually go once or twice each cruise and have always been able to get the day and time we wanted. And usually there are empty tables when we are there. I suppose every cruise is different and there may be busy times, but we've never experienced that. We're booking online for our upcoming cruise, but only because it's convenient, so we don't have to worry about it when we board.

I brought it up because we were told the steakhouse was completely booked when we tried to eat there a third time on our Splendor cruise, so I wanted the OP to be safe rather than sorry. It's easier to make reservations and then cancel them if necessary than gamble that there might be no opportunity available.

we would LOVE to try the steakhouse for our upcoming cruise, but would like to go on the nights that the MDR is serving something that we could live without. lol!! Is there a way to find out the menu at the MDR for the week when you first board the ship? There's always something i like in the MDR, but obviously, on some nights, i like the choices better than others. Thanks!

we would LOVE to try the steakhouse for our upcoming cruise, but would like to go on the nights that the MDR is serving something that we could live without. lol!! Is there a way to find out the menu at the MDR for the week when you first board the ship? There's always something i like in the MDR, but obviously, on some nights, i like the choices better than others. Thanks!

I came across this link in another thread a few weeks ago. My understanding is that the menu is pretty standard on all ships. I'm approaching my first cruise so I can't confirm this.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DinnerDesserts_master.html

I came across this link in another thread a few weeks ago. My understanding is that the menu is pretty standard on all ships. I'm approaching my first cruise so I can't confirm this.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DinnerDesserts_master.html

That one seems to not be coming up so you can try this one

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/Menus_D_1-7.htm

So I was just talking with DH. I was explaining to him that he could order multiple plates containing lobster on elegant nights in the MDR (he loves lobster - lol). He then asks me, "so can I order extra lobster in the Steakhouse?". I didn't have an answer for him. Those of you who have eaten in the steakhouse - is extra lobster an option?

Just remember, even in the Steakhouse the lobster tail is Rock/Caribbean Lobster, not Maine. The only Maine Lobster is in the Lobster Ravioli they offer.

My wife and I always go talk to the Maitre D' when we board and ask to see the menu for the week so we can decide which night to eat in the Steakhouse. On more than one occasion, the Maitre D' gave us his suggestion on which night to go.

Just remember, even in the Steakhouse the lobster tail is Rock/Caribbean Lobster, not Maine. The only Maine Lobster is in the Lobster Ravioli they offer.

Mr Heald disagrees with you:

MrPete Asked:

John….Please respond.

What kind of lobster is served in the Steakhouse? Is it different if it’s served as an entree or part of the surf and turf?

Specifically, is it cold water/warm water, Maine or otherwise, depending on the dish?

Thanks!

John Says:

Hello MrPete

The Chef tells me we serve cold water Maine lobster for all the dishes at the Steakhouse. I have never had it because I can’t say “no” to the Porterhouse.

Best wishes

John

Archived