Need car rental agency in Monaco opened on Sunday

caroak

Sundays are a real problem in the south of France and Monte Carlo. However, there is a Hertz agency open on Sunday mornings until about 1 pm. It is possible to rent from them in the morning and drop the car after hours.

Hank

I called Auto Europe again and was told by a different agent that Europcar, Avis and Hertz are opened Sunday mornings for a pick-up but, unfortunately, the don't offer an after hours drop-off in Monte Carlo. Our only alternative would be to drop off a Europcar at Nice train station which is not the ideal situation because we would then have to get ourselves back to Monte Carlo. We would prefer a taxi but I'm sure it would be an expensive trip. As for the train back, I believe it's a long walk to the pier from the Monte Carlo train station if a taxi is not available. Not sure about the bus situation. Any suggestions would be great.

I called Auto Europe again and was told by a different agent that Europcar, Avis and Hertz are opened Sunday mornings for a pick-up but, unfortunately, the don't offer an after hours drop-off in Monte Carlo. Our only alternative would be to drop off a Europcar at Nice train station which is not the ideal situation because we would then have to get ourselves back to Monte Carlo. We would prefer a taxi but I'm sure it would be an expensive trip. As for the train back, I believe it's a long walk to the pier from the Monte Carlo train station if a taxi is not available. Not sure about the bus situation. Any suggestions would be great.

We are big fans of AutoEurope, although were not aware they would even talk to anyone about rentals of less then 3 days. However, AutoEurope is not always correct when it comes to getting this type of info (such as after hours drops). We are not positive about whether the Hertz office would allow an afterhours drop (most Hertz offices routinely allow this procedure) and have our doubts because of the parking situation near their office. But, if we were planning a day similar to yours we would contact that specific Hertz office directly (you can call Hertz and they will assist) to see if the manager will make arrangements. We have had lots of success over the years doing this kind of thing (we once convinced the local Europcar manager in Livorno to deliver us a car to the port on a holiday when they were closed). Most of the rental car offices in Italy are franchises and they will often make their own policies.

Hank

I knew about Auto Europe's three day rental policy. We need the car in May and they don't have the rates yet but in March the three day rental was almost the same as a one day although I'm sure the rates will be higher in May. I will try calling Hertz because their website quotes one day rentals in Monte Carlo but need to find out about the drop-off situation directly from them.

I thought cruising would be less planning than a land trip but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case especially with our port intensive itinerary -- 10 days with not sea days which is actually what we prefer.

I knew about Auto Europe's three day rental policy.

I thought cruising would be less planning than a land trip but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case especially with our port intensive itinerary -- 10 days with not sea days which is actually what we prefer.

This really makes me smile. A majority of my 6000+ posts have been on the Med boards trying to help folks who want to do some independent planning. We also do a lot of self-driving trips throughout Europe and sometimes think these are actually easier to plan since we only need to reserve our car (a few clicks on the mouse) and our hotels (a few more clicks on the mouse). Not having to be concerned with being back to the ship means we usually do not even bother with an itinerary and simply do whatever feels right at the time. But many cruise passengers want to cram as much as possible into port days and this does take a lot of planning.

Hank

Hank, I agree with you although this year's land trip was very ambitious with multi-country and multi-city visits but it was definitely worth the effort.

I called Hertz directly and they said they do, in fact, have an after hours drop-off in Monte Carlo along with a one day rental for 70.40 euros. What a bargain and saves us having to take a private tour for mega $$$'s! Can you explain what you meant by their Monte Carlo parking situation for an after hours drop-off? We have friends that will be staying in Monte Carlo next week and I'm going to ask them to try and check it out for us.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Archived