Travel Warning for Mexico

blackfoot

We do not cruise to Mexico -- we fly and stay there for a week or so at a time. We typically fly into Cancun and stay in a nearby town or Puerto Vallarta and stay in Nuevo Vallarta. While not overly concerned about the alerts, we may just skip PV for this next few months and fly into Cancun. As has been said, it is a large (and very beautiful) country!

We do not cruise to Mexico -- we fly and stay there for a week or so at a time. We typically fly into Cancun and stay in a nearby town or Puerto Vallarta and stay in Nuevo Vallarta. While not overly concerned about the alerts, we may just skip PV for this next few months and fly into Cancun. As has been said, it is a large (and very beautiful) country!

I agree it is a beautiful and interesting country. Have nice stay in Cancun.

We just booked our tickets to PVR for another nice very long stay in winter.

Honestly, I live in Guadalajara and my friends and I have been planning a trip to PV probably the weekend after next. Heck, the military went in and shot up a meth kingpin's house just a few blocks away from my house a few weeks ago, and yet I still feel safe here. If you don't feel comfortable, don't go because you won't have fun anyways and if you do go, just be smart.

My experience here has been that Mexicans are, for the most part, very friendly and courteous. Learn some "survival Spanish" at the very least. My family was very concerned about me coming here, especially when an advisory was issued for my crossing point that all US citizens should stay indoors etc. But you just have to travel safe and smart.

• 2 weeks later...

I've visited Mexico about 8-9 times in the past decade (my Wife is originally from Mexico), including Mexico City, several resorts, and a road trip to Copper Canyon. At no time did I feel unsafe, except for maybe one crazy taxi ride.

But we can't bury our heads in the sand and ignore the fact that Mexico is no longer a safe country. Its murder rate of 0.13 per 1000 is 3x the rate in the 0.043 per 1000 in the U.S. (source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). While that is no doubt concentrated in border towns, not resorts, the reality is that the country as a whole is more dangerous than the U.S.

We have a Mexican Riveria cruise booked this November, and I must confess to some concern as the situation in Mexico deteriorates. Like many here, I trust that Carnival would cancel port calls if things got too bad. And I know intellectually that Acapulco is an order of magnitude safer than Juarez, and perhaps even safer than Colorado Springs, where I live.

But there are a lot of great places outside of Mexico that I want to visit, so there's no time like the present. With a young family, I'm more inclined over the next couple of years to visit those other places, and return to Mexico once things there settle down.

Cheers, Carl.

In the 18 years I've lived here in PV, the only really rude people I've met were all US Citizens.:p

I love to sit outside at the restaurant in San Felipe and pick out the local people from those visiting from the U.S. Guess which is the family with a teenager holding his sisters hand casually walking as a group and the teenager with his pants below the crack strutting like a banty rooster totally ignoring anyone but himself?

In the 18 years I've lived here in PV, the only really rude people I've met were all US Citizens.:p

LOL, it's true! We were going to go to PV today with some friends but we decided to wait until the end of the semester when we can spend a guilt free week there. The students in the group have a major test on Monday that they want to spend the long weekend studying for. We'll go out tonight for a study break and to experience the fiesta for Independence Day. Woot!!!! I hope you have fun this week!

LOL. We should explain that JR is a well-known character in PV and we have it on good authority that he is actually a pretty nice guy when he and his horses are sober. We would also note that JR is a Canadian and we all understand that they are always perfect (when sober) :)

Hank

And the rudest people I saw were from Europe on our trip a few years back. I was amazed at how many people would push my friend in a wheel chair out of the way to get on the elevator when they were perfectly capable of taking the stairs....There are rude people in every country and it just so happens that they ruin it for the rest of us.

I've visited Mexico about 8-9 times in the past decade (my Wife is originally from Mexico), including Mexico City, several resorts, and a road trip to Copper Canyon. At no time did I feel unsafe, except for maybe one crazy taxi ride.

But we can't bury our heads in the sand and ignore the fact that Mexico is no longer a safe country. Its murder rate of 0.13 per 1000 is 3x the rate in the 0.043 per 1000 in the U.S. (source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). While that is no doubt concentrated in border towns, not resorts, the reality is that the country as a whole is more dangerous than the U.S.

We have a Mexican Riveria cruise booked this November, and I must confess to some concern as the situation in Mexico deteriorates. Like many here, I trust that Carnival would cancel port calls if things got too bad. And I know intellectually that Acapulco is an order of magnitude safer than Juarez, and perhaps even safer than Colorado Springs, where I live.

But there are a lot of great places outside of Mexico that I want to visit, so there's no time like the present. With a young family, I'm more inclined over the next couple of years to visit those other places, and return to Mexico once things there settle down.

Cheers, Carl.

Hi is it really a consern. I'm wondering if it is safe to take a taxi to beaches or melecon?:confused:

Hi is it really a consern. I'm wondering if it is safe to take a taxi to beaches or melecon?:confused:

It is perfectly safe to take a taxi to the Malecon or beaches.....sheez, I am a 5'7 130 pound female and *I* walk all over PV my myself and sometimes in the dark :eek:

Just use common sense.....I don't want dark deserted streets anywhere, I don't walk dark deserted beaches anywhere, I don't accept drinks from strangers in a bar, LOL I actually don't go to bars by myself BUT I do feel safer in PV then I do ....say Vancouver BC :)

It is perfectly safe to take a taxi to the Malecon or beaches.....sheez, I am a 5'7 130 pound female and *I* walk all over PV my myself and sometimes in the dark :eek:

Just use common sense.....I don't want dark deserted streets anywhere, I don't walk dark deserted beaches anywhere, I don't accept drinks from strangers in a bar, LOL I actually don't go to bars by myself BUT I do feel safer in PV then I do ....say Vancouver BC :)

I rather walk the streets in Puerto vallarta then in Amsterdam at night. Of course always use your commonsense and indeed donot walk deserted streets and leave valuables you donot need on board.

Cabs are registered and have a big number on their doors, most cabdrivers speak some english and are very friendly. Check the price before you board.

Also bustravel is safe and can be fun.

Mexico has its problems, but, so far, PV has managed to stay out of the fray. We live there for 2 months a year and never fear for our safety (I often take walks late at night). The taxis are fine although you might want to save some money and just grab a bus into town. You can take any of the buses that have "Centro" written on their window (they usually paint it on the windshield) and you simply pay the driver (I think its 6.5 pesos or about 50 cents). The buses are fun and very safe except for the pedestrians who get in their way :) If you do want to take a bus just walk out of the marina and as you face Walmart you want to turn to your right. There is a gas station right on the corner and the buses stop at that corner. To get a bus back to the ship simply walk inland from the water one block from the street on which you were dropped (this is a one way street facing back towards the port) and take any bus that has "Walmart" or "Sams" painted on its window. Just get off when you are at the port (which is on your left side).

Hank

After giving the idea of cruising to Mexico this winter a great deal of thought; I just cancelled the cruise we booked for January 2011. I will go somewhere else warm that does not have the travel warnings that Mexico has at this time( states and cities the cruise line visits). I am just not comfortable traveling there because of the extremely violent targeted crime.

I will give Mexico consideration again for a winter vacation after the US State Department indicates it is safe for American tourists to travel there.

After giving the idea of cruising to Mexico this winter a great deal of thought; I just cancelled the cruise we booked for January 2011. I will go somewhere else warm that does not have the travel warnings that Mexico has at this time( states and cities the cruise line visits). I am just not comfortable traveling there because of the extremely violent targeted crime.

I will give Mexico consideration again for a winter vacation after the US State Department indicates it is safe for American tourists to travel there.

Where have you read ANY warnings regarding and of the cruise ports? I have not seen one. It is statements like yours that are not based on fact that are blowing this whole thing out of porportion. Please provide a link to the warning you have read regarding "states and cities the cruise line visits"

Where have you read ANY warnings regarding and of the cruise ports? I have not seen one. It is statements like yours that are not based on fact that are blowing this whole thing out of porportion. Please provide a link to the warning you have read regarding "states and cities the cruise line visits"

I think this is what they are referring to.......

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_4755.html

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs...ityUpdate.html

I think this is what they are referring to.......

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_4755.html

First link had no warnings regarding cruise ports and second link did not work.

On the PV TA thread we started a drinking game anytime someone came on with yet another...OMG PV /safety......???

We need to start one here.....

I"ll have a Cazadore Margarita on the rocks.

I followed the first link and there were some comments made concerning Acapulco. Then I clicked on a link within this article and this is what I found. I can understand why some folks may be concerned and if they chose not to travel to Mexico that is a personal choice.

I have a cruise booked on the Splendor for January and there is 8 in our group. We have no plans to cancel. I believe people need to make safe decisions at all times. I just spent the last 3 years living and working in Orlando as a nurse. The amount of crime there is unbelievable.

Know Before You Go

The following cities and areas are some traditional destinations in Mexico for travelers on Spring Break. While other resort areas may not be as well-known for this type of travel, the advice contained here still applies:

Acapulco : Drug-related violence has been increasing in Acapulco. Although this violence is not targeted at foreign residents or tourists, U.S. citizens in these areas should be vigilant in their personal safety.

Avoid swimming outside the bay area. Several American citizens have died while swimming in rough surf at the Revolcadero Beach near Acapulco.

Cabo San Lucas: Beaches on the Pacific side of the Baja California Peninsula at Cabo San Lucas are dangerous due to rip tides and rogue waves; hazardous beaches in this area are clearly marked in English and Spanish.

Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel: Cancun is a fairly large city, approaching 500,000 inhabitants, with increasing reports of crime. Crimes against the person, such as rape, commonly but not exclusively occur at night or in the early morning hours, and often involve alcohol and the nightclub environment. Therefore, it is important to travel in pairs or groups, be aware of surroundings, and take general precautions. To protect against property crimes, valuables should be left in a safe place or not brought at all. If you are a victim of a crime, immediately notify the U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun, Playa del Carmen or Cozumel or the U.S. Consulate in Merida at the telephone numbers provided below.

If you rent a moped or other vehicle in Cancun, it is advisable to purchase third-party insurance, as the insurance offered on some credit cards will not cover you in Mexico. Should you have an accident or cause damage to the vehicle, you may be required to pay the full amount of any repairs, in cash, as determined by the rental agency, or face arrest.

In Cancun, there is often a very strong undertow along the beach from the Hyatt Regency all the way south to Club Med. Already this season, several U.S. citizens have drowned when overwhelmed by ocean conditions. In Cozumel, several drownings and near-drownings have been reported on the east coast, particularly in the Playa San Martin-Chen Rio area.

Matamoros: The Mexican border cities of Matamoros and Nuevo Progresso are located 30 to 45 minutes south of the major Spring Break destination of South Padre Island, Texas. Travelers to the Mexican border should be especially aware of safety and security concerns due to increased violence in recent years between rival drug trafficking gangs competing for control of narcotics smuggling routes. While it is unlikely that American visitors would get caught up in this violence, travelers should exercise common-sense precautions such as visiting only the well-traveled business and tourism areas of border towns during daylight and early-evening hours.

Mazatlan : While the beach town of Mazatlan is a relatively safe place to visit, travelers should use common sense and exercise normal precautions when visiting an unfamiliar location. Avoid walking the streets alone after dark, when petty crimes are much more common. Beaches can have very strong undertows and rogue waves. Swimmers should obey warning signs placed along the beaches which indicate dangerous ocean conditions.

Nogales/Sonora: Puerto Peñasco, a.k.a. “Rocky Point,” is located in northern Sonora, 60 miles from the U.S. border, and is accessible by car. The majority of accidents that occur at this Spring Break destination are caused by individuals driving under the influence of alcohol. Travelers should exercise particular caution on unpaved roads, especially in beach areas.

Oaxaca City: There have been ongoing demonstrations and protests in Oaxaca City due to civil unrest since June 2006. Several groups have engaged in violent demonstrations in Oaxaca City, which resulted in the death of an American citizen in October 2006. Prior to traveling to Oaxaca City, U.S. citizens should monitor the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City’s web site, http://mexico.usembassy.gov/mexico/citizen_services.html, as well as http://travel.state.gov for the most up to date Safety and Security information. U.S. citizens should avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by the Mexican authorities. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation.

Oaxaca (coastal): There have been a number of drownings along the beaches of the southern coast of Oaxaca, namely Zipolite Beach. Professional lifeguard training has contributed to a drop in fatalities, but swimmers are advised that currents can quickly become treacherous, even for accomplished swimmers.

Tijuana : Tijuana has one of the busiest land border crossings in the world. The beach towns of Rosarito and Ensenada also attract a large number of tourists. Drinking alcoholic beverages excessively on a public street is prohibited.

Tijuana boasts a large number of pharmacies; to buy any controlled medication (e.g. Valium, Vicodin, Placidyl, Morphine, Demorol, and Ativan, etc), a prescription from a Mexican federally registered physician is required. Possession of controlled medications without a Mexican doctor's prescription is a serious crime and can lead to arrest. The prescription must have a seal and serial number. Under no other circumstances should an individual purchase prescription medicines.

On the PV TA thread we started a drinking game anytime someone came on with yet another...OMG PV /safety......???

Oh well. Maybe they'll come back and post the link.

I will have a Mango-Margarita...many not just one, but more since we again booked our winterstay in PVR.

Archived