Why can't the Lines post a REAL price.

We have had the fortune of cruising for over 45 years and have enjoyed every cruise on every line we have been on from Carnival (with the kids,) to Regent and SilverSea.

During all the years we have been, "on the water" we have yet to either pay published fares or to meet anyone who has.

We are about to book a cruise for next year and we are looking at our favorite line's brochure. Comparing the "Full Brochure Fares" and the "Special Offer" with "free air," (remember nothing is "free" on a cruise.) the differences are amazing, to say the least. Eg $9798 FBF vs $3699 inc air SO.

My pet "gripe" with all the lines is, why can't you publish "realistic" prices and then hold them. The "Published Fares" are meaningless.

Maybe someone from the industry will see this and attempt to explain the psychology of their pricing policies.:o:o:o

Great question but at least the internet has made things very easy. Years ago we used to get on the phone to at least 5 or 6 TAs to do some price shopping and get real prices. These days we can check 5 or 6 TAs on-line in a few minutes and get exact prices as well as specific cabin availability. As to the price pages in brochures, we think those price pages are good for dog poop and not much else!

Hank

When brochures are printed... they are done so far in advance that published fares are rarely available and have possibly increased and many times decreased. It is no different than picking up a brochure for an AI land package, autombile brochure, etc..... It is basically "Eye Candy" and if you see something you like, it's time to shop for the best deal you are comfortable with ! :)

PS... to expect to see a published fare being "realistic" and be held ??? Supply and demand dictates the current pricing and there are tons of rate codes that are a possibility for a lowest fare that come and go at the blink of an eye.... i.e. military rates, sr. fares, resident fares, past passenger fares, educator fares, civil service fares, interline fares..... so many possibilities that there is no way any rates published will be accurate all the time nor can be expected to be held.

It's just like hotels....if you look at the back of the room door, it will show the "rack rate"...and it's seldom, if ever, close to what rates are quoted to you! It's called "covering their butts", so they CAN charge that much, if they want to!

• 3 weeks later...
I booked the last cruise online and planned to do the same for the next one, direct from the Carnival website. If I called in, would I get a better rate than what's online?

It actually can be the contrary. Several major on-line TAs offer a slight discount for those that book on-line and we know of at least one large agency that posts the on-line price right next to the call-in price. For obvious reasons the agencies (and cruise lines) save money when you do things on-line and some pass this along to the customer.

Hank

It actually can be the contrary. Several major on-line TAs offer a slight discount for those that book on-line and we know of at least one large agency that posts the on-line price right next to the call-in price. For obvious reasons the agencies (and cruise lines) save money when you do things on-line and some pass this along to the customer.

Hank

If one were to book from an online TA would he or she be able to use a future cruise certificate? I've used websites such as what you mention to book hotels, flights and rental cars, is there any danger using one to book a cruise?

Archived