Pre-Cruise Lodging - LAX or San Pedro

I object 2

We're flying in to LA the day before our 14 day RT/Hawaii cruise and need advice on lodging. We're thinking of staying at the Marriott/LAX. We'd appreciate any comments from CC's who have stayed there...positives/negatives. Our logic is to avoid rush hour traffic. We thought we'd stay close to the airport Friday and arrange transport to the Pier on Saturday....less traffic? Or is it better to stay in San Pedro?

Thanks for all responses.

We're flying in to LA the day before our 14 day RT/Hawaii cruise and need advice on lodging. We're thinking of staying at the Marriott/LAX. We'd appreciate any comments from CC's who have stayed there...positives/negatives. Our logic is to avoid rush hour traffic. We thought we'd stay close to the airport Friday and arrange transport to the Pier on Saturday....less traffic? Or is it better to stay in San Pedro?

As a native Angeleno, I would recommend staying at an airport hotel only if you have an early flight the next day out of LAX. We stayed at the LAX Marriott back in 1995, right after our honeymoon because we did have an early flight to Honolulu the next day. But once our limo got us there from our reception, we were stuck unless we wanted to get a taxi to go get some food (we ended up eating buffalo wings -- about the only thing left on the room service menu that they had that night -- and the complimentary fruit basket that they gave us for being honeymooners).

About the only places near the airport are strip malls (take that term literally).

Don't know what time you are arriving at the airport, but after getting your baggage, etc., you may want to go to the shuttle area and catch the Super shuttle (or other shuttle service; you can pre-reserve if you want, but there should be several there even late at night) over to the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza hotels in San Pedro. No matter what the traffic, you won't be charge any extra for the time involved in driving you there and you'll be close to the port. You can even walk over to a restaurant at night. Those hotels provide a free shuttle to the port of LA the morning of your cruise.

Princess has a pre-cruise package at the LAX Marriott that includes transfer to the ship. For one night's stay, it's a no-fuss, no-muss option. Several years ago, it was $69/pp/night. You put your tags on your bags in the morning and leave them in your room. While you are at breakfast, they are picked up and taken to the service area of the hotel. When your bus is called, you are led to the service area where you identify your bags and they are put on the bus. When the bus arrives at the port, you stay on the bus until all the luggage is unloaded and taken away. (No tip needed.) You check in and board with your carry-on. If you want to relax and not be bothered schlepping your luggage, this is a good option.

If that is not available, I'd recommend taking SuperShuttle to a hotel in San Pedro. Many stay at the Crowne Plaza. Your travel will be done with and you can wake up in the morning to the sight of your ship. They offer a free shuttle to the pier.

I live in San Pedro and I think that it is a better bet than LAX. It is quieter, cheaper and does have options for shopping (wine - "Off the Vine" Trader Joe's) good restaraunts and much more relaxing with no flights constantly going over. There is no real shopping area by LAX and some of the neighborhoods near there are not very good. The Crown Plaza and the Doubletree both have decent prices on line and both have free shuttles to the ship. The Crowne Plaza is closer to the pier and if you are up early enough you can see the ship come in. The Doubletree is in a marina area and not on the direct channel but very nice.

Traffic on the 405 coming from the airport is not good even on Saturday or Sunday, also your transport is likely to be a bus which will wait to fill up. I recommend you go online and arrange for "Supershuttle" to pick you up at the airport and deliver you to your chosen hotel. Their prices are good and it is not a full bus. This way you will be able to board the ship at your convenience. Even though I live 1.2 miles up the hill I board the ship as early as possible to sign up for Chef's Table, etc. The San Pedro terminal is usually very efficient and you could be on board by 11:30 ot 12:00 even if you are not elite. Please feel free to ask questions and I will check back on this thread.

If you are arriving late or departing really early and have absolutely nothing to do planned then LAX would be OK. However, there is absolutely nothing to to do there without a car or some means of transportation. (Even the "gentleman's club" that another poster mentioned has been torn down .. not that I noticed).I would concur that San Pedro or Long Beach might be a better bet.

I am struggling with this also.

I have stayed in San Pedro 2x and IMO - it is nothing special and there is very little out there.

I have also stayed at the LAX Marriott 2x and it is a typical, clean Marriott airport hotel with very little nearby. I have this reserved for my next cruise and it is $128 for 2 people I think (not sure if that includes taxes or not). I have booked tours from their concerige desk and enjoyed it.

I need to make up my mind soon as I have final payment in a few weeks.

The San Pedro Crowne Plaza and Doubletree Hotels are easy to get on Priceline. Go to name your own bid, San Pedro area (only), 3 stars, and bid $65. There's a 90% chance you'll get your hotel at that price. Either hotel is nice and have shuttles to the ship. Remember there are taxes added to the $65, just like any hotel has.

I am struggling with this also.

I have stayed in San Pedro 2x and IMO - it is nothing special and there is very little out there.

I have also stayed at the LAX Marriott 2x and it is a typical, clean Marriott airport hotel with very little nearby. I have this reserved for my next cruise and it is $128 for 2 people I think (not sure if that includes taxes or not). I have booked tours from their concerige desk and enjoyed it.

I need to make up my mind soon as I have final payment in a few weeks.

You're right, there isn't much to do in San Pedro but it is better than staying at LAX.

Call me silly, but, I actuall look forward to staying in San Pedro AND at the Marriott at LAX. You don't need a car to go out for a nice pre-cruise dinner in San Pedro, everything is close-by. Also, the pool at the Marriott is very nice for a day of lounging and eating Carl's Junior fast food (somthing I selcom allow myself) or a nice big burrito from the local Mexican restaurant.

The San Pedro Crowne Plaza and Doubletree Hotels are easy to get on Priceline. Go to name your own bid, San Pedro area (only), 3 stars, and bid $65. There's a 90% chance you'll get your hotel at that price. Either hotel is nice and have shuttles to the ship. Remember there are taxes added to the $65, just like any hotel has.

PLEASE NOTE: I've just checked San Pedro on Priceline's site and biddingfortravel.com and you should bid 3.5 stars for Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in San Pedro. Priceline shows a 3 star which they call upscale on the site now, and a 3.5 stars which they call upscale plus. This is something I haven't seen before.

That's 3.5 stars, folks!

We stayed at the Marriott once - nice hotel - but nothing to do anywhere near the hotel - and you hear the planes taking off 24 hours a day - NOT at all relaxing.

Stayed at the Marriot pre cruise last May. We arrived in LAX around 6 pm and were met by two Princess representative. They walked us to the curb where we boarded a hotel shuttle which also dropped off passengers at another hotel. The Marriot is a nice clean hotel with a restaurant, a steakhouse and a sports bar. There's nothing to see or do around the hotel but there is a local liquor store about a 10 minute walk away. We picked up some bottles of wine. Our room was very quiet maybe because it wasn't facing the airport. The next morning we sign in with the Princess representative and board a bus to the pier. We had to bring our own luggage to the bus but the next time you see them will be in front of your cabin. One other thing, I had a very good eggs benedict breakfast at the hotels restaurant.

I'd just do what works out best for you in terms of time. If you want to stay near LAX, you can get 4-star hotels for $70 or under through Hotwire or Priceline. Not much to do, for sure, but if you're just going to stay at the hotel, that's not a problem. All of the hotels have restaurants (not much in the way of non-hotel eateries within walking distance except for Carls Jr. and In-N-Out Burgers). I've stayed at the Holiday Inn, Hilton, Sheraton Gateway and Radisson near LAX and have not been bothered by airport noise. I am not familiar with the San Pedro hotels. Getting to San Pedro from LAX shouldn't be too difficult unless you do it during run hour (especially 7-9 a.m., and 4:30-7:30 p.m., more or less).

There is a Avia hotel I want to try. Is it expensive to get to the San Pedro port from Long Beach-any transportation services for a group?

The Avia concierge Melissa set me up with a limo from ObiOne transportation for $35. They were fantastic! Email link for her is on the Avia website.

Archived