Which western port for Mayan Ruins?

bender031177

We're doing the western itinerary on the Dream in Jan (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya) and my MIL and FIL want to see Mayan Ruins. We did the Carnival Tour to Tulum from Cozumel last year and it was awesome but I think there's another excursion they want in Cozumel.

Which port has the best and are they really missing out if they don't go to Tulum?

We're doing the western itinerary on the Dream in Jan (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya) and my MIL and FIL want to see Mayan Ruins. We did the Carnival Tour to Tulum from Cozumel last year and it was awesome but I think there's another excursion they want in Cozumel.

Which port has the best and are they really missing out if they don't go to Tulum?

While I have not been to Tulum, a happy compromise might be Chachobeen in Costa Maya. I understand that much more of Tulum is excavated, but we really enjoyed Chachobeen. There are two pluses - it is only an hour from the port via air conditioned bus and a nice half day trip which gives you time to shop in the market at the port or relax at the pool or beach. There isn't much else at Costa Maya - but it was a nice stop.

I really didnt want to do the Chachobean tour in Costa Maya( wasnt interested in ruins ), but went along with it because the others I was travelling with wanted to do it. I was outvoted! And I am glad that I was! It was a great tour, very informative. I cant compare though to other tours because it is to date the only Mayan ruins tour I have done. But I can recommend it.:)

Thanks very much for the reviews of the ruins in Costa Maya. Anyone been to both? That would be the best alternative because we have other activities in mind for each of the other 3 ports. May have to compromise on something...

The first Mayan ruin we visited was Chachobean in Costa Maya. I have since visited Altun Ha in Belize and Tulum from Cozumel.

Chachobean is partially excuvated. It sits in the jungle. The ride in about an hour or so from the port. There are 2 really nice structures. You can climb a small wall/steep stairs to a plateau on the top to view the area. I was very impressed.

Altun Ha in Belize is a little farther from the port - probably 2 hours or so over very bumpy roads. It is a much bigger area than Costa Maya with a lot more ruins. You can climb the tallest structure via a staircase that has been built on the back side. It is very steep, but we made it to the top. The view was great.

In comparing both those to Tulum. Tulum is beautiful, overlooking the ocean. The structures are a little more preserved at the other sites. Tulum's structures are worn from the salt air and storms. I think your relatives would be happy going to either of these, whatever works with your schedule.

There are some great ruins at Xuantunich in Belize - about a mile from the Guatemaln border. It is an all day excursion. If you have not been to Tulum it is must see. If you want to go to Chichen Itza the closest port is Progresso on the North coast of the Yucatan. It is also a good port for Uxmal. Ecstasy out of Galvston stops at Progresso.

Hi,

I agree with Debj14 about Xunantunich. In total, it is a 7 hour excursion but well worth the time. Climbing to the top of "El Castillo" was something I will not forget. I am afraid of heights and the ledge going around the rear of the pyramid, but I made myself do it. The view is wonderful, and if you can imagine yourself in another time, you can feel the ghosts of the Mayan ancestors all around.

Lee

Xunantunich! There's not much to do in Belize near the port and no real beaches without going to one of the barrier islands, so this is a great place to do the ruins. The view from the top of the largest structure is phenomenal-

100_8561.jpg

We did Chacchoben in Costa Maya and it was really cool. It's about an hour ride on an air conditioned bus. They give you a little goodie bag with Mexican treats when you get on the bus. After you're done with the ruins, they have soda and Mexican beer for you.

Here's a few pictures if you're interested.

26746_10100210801678593_5230340_59742381_2024579_n.jpg

26746_10100210801888173_5230340_59742410_1686405_n.jpg

26746_10100210802771403_5230340_59742548_1607006_n.jpg

I have only done Tulum and this was an exhausting trip, but I am glad I went.

Would love to see other ruins, but DH is not too excited about going to ANY ruins, so may not get to another ruin site.

Enjoy your cruise!

In Costa Maya, we went to Chacchoben in 2007 with David and Ivan (The Native Choice). We did their "Mayan Experience" tour, which takes you to the ruins, then to the modern-day village of Chacchoben for lunch with a Mayan family. Absolutely one of the best excursions we've taken. I have photos at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD (Chacchoben photos start at page 3).

We were just looking tonight at our Xuantanitch photos and all of a sudden, here it is in this thread.

We enjoyed the visit very much. It was an NCL tour with a stop off for lunch. I do not know whether it is offered through cruise lines any more.

We both felt it was well worth the long bus ride however.

A question for anybody who's seen two or more (especially history buffs): is it worth visiting more than one?

We like to get our feet in the sand, but I suspect we'll have used up our urges for that at Roatan and Nassau (both part of our itinerary).

With what look like nice Mayan ruin excursions in Cozumel, Costa, and Belize, I'm contemplating booking two. Great and unique places, or should we expect them to be rather similar experiences?

In Costa Maya, we went to Chacchoben in 2007 with David and Ivan (The Native Choice). We did their "Mayan Experience" tour, which takes you to the ruins, then to the modern-day village of Chacchoben for lunch with a Mayan family. Absolutely one of the best excursions we've taken. I have photos at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD (Chacchoben photos start at page 3).

Another vote here for David and Ivan. One of the best tours we've ever done - Ivan is fascinating. I could have spent a week talking to him. They weren't doing the lunch part when we did our tour in 2006, but I am doing this one if we are ever back in Costa Maya again!

In Belize, my favorite is Xuantunich!!! It is AMAZING! The climb is thrilling and awesome :D I am so glad our family did this on our recent Dream cruise.

We have gone to Altun Ha - and that is a nice one too. We did the Rio Wallace on the return. These ruins are smaller and less impressive than the ones at Xuantunich.

I have not gotten to Tulum yet, but will do that next April when we are in Cozumel.

I've been to Altun ha, and twice to Xunantunich...

My vote is also Xunantunich. It's WAY more impressive then Altun Ha.

Carnival's excursion stops for lunch (Chicken, Rice and beans, plantains) which was REALLY great! DH got a Belikin (Belizean beer) at lunch for $2. It was just a really great day and I absolutely recommend it!

I've been to Altun ha, and twice to Xunantunich...

My vote is also Xunantunich. It's WAY more impressive then Altun Ha.

Carnival's excursion stops for lunch (Chicken, Rice and beans, plantains) which was REALLY great! DH got a Belikin (Belizean beer) at lunch for $2. It was just a really great day and I absolutely recommend it!

I agree it's impressive. But it's such a LOOONGGGGG day. Any delays and you're barely making the last tender. Same with the ruins in Costa Maya. Altun Ha can be done with time to spare.

We did Chacchoben back in 2002 out of Costa Maya, way back when the port was first being opened up and developed (there was nothing at the port then but a pool and a few shops, and lots of trees). We loved that tour, having visited Chacchoben and another ruin (which sadly I cannot remember at the time) The ruins themselves were interesting, and the view from the top of them was quite amazing.

We also did Tulum, and at the time we were not able to enter the ruins or climb them to see the view. Has that changed in the past 8 years? (It also was a downpour while there, so hard to get the full effect, was rather nice having it right by the beach though)

I agree it's impressive. But it's such a LOOONGGGGG day. Any delays and you're barely making the last tender. Same with the ruins in Costa Maya. Altun Ha can be done with time to spare.

Altun Ha for us then! We've never seen ruins, so, I think this will be fine for the 4 of us.

I'm so glad I found this thread. We want to see ruins on our Dream cruise in Feb. I am leaning toward doing it in Belize but can't decide on whether to do Altun Ha or Xunantunich. Anyone who has done these know how long to get to each of these ruins from port?

Xunantunich! There's not much to do in Belize near the port and no real beaches without going to one of the barrier islands, so this is a great place to do the ruins. The view from the top of the largest structure is phenomenal-

100_8561.jpg

Awww, the memories this picture brings back...that was one of the best days I've ever spent! Long, but sooooo worth it if you're into the Mayan culture. And the lunch they feed you is very very good. If ever I make it back to Belize, you can bet I'll make the long trek to Xunantunich again. :)

I did Tulum during the same cruise, the day after Xunantunich....and wasn't so impressed (although am glad that I went). Tooo many tourists!

Thanks, Dear23, we were torn in a decision, now Xunantunich it is. Hope I can make the climb up but if not I will hand my camera to my sister so she can take shots for both of us. ( I hate heights) Is it scary making the climb?:eek:

We've been to visit three ruins so far: Tuluum, Chachoben and Kuhunlich. The first was a tour through carnival and the latter two were both handled by native Choice in Costa Maya.

What is interesting to note is that the cultural and hisorical perspective is entirely different at all three sites. Tuluum is magnificent for the extensive excavations that reveal many of the temples. Chachoben is more rustic with several temple mounds barely unearthed and a few others fully uncovered and extraordinary all the same. Kohunlich has the most amazing "masks" carved into the temple. Some of the original pigment dye actually still remains from the original plasterwork done centuries before.

The biggest random quality will come from your guides. The better the guide, the better the overall experience. While Tuluum was nice to see, the size of the group made asking questions harder and the guide was forced to corral visitors as much as describe what we were seeing.

We had David show us around Chachoben and Enedina lead us through Kuhunlich. Both of them were a veritable font of information, both about the culture of the Mayan people as well as offering insight into traditional medicines and the local flora and fauna. It came as a surprise to us to learn that the ritual sacrifices were not simple acts of revenge against enemies. Indeed, it was considered an honor to die to appease the gods on your city's behalf. It was also one of the few ways to better your social standing with regards to your caste.

Archived