Make-up for the middle aged.... help!?!

5326jan

I used to be able to go to the drug store, pick up a bottle of Cover Girl and be very happy with the results. Now (age 57), anything I try either lumps up or slides around. I don't feel that I get enough coverage with Bare Minerals, and the like, to cover sun damage and liquid or cream foundation sinks into pours, wrinkles, etc. (And I don't have that many wrinkles yet!:p)

I happened to surf by QVC last weekend when someone named Mally was on and she was very convincingly applying make-up to someone around my age. I wonder how much is the "magic of tv", or if it is the miracle she made it out to be. So much can be affected by good lighting! :rolleyes:

Would love some recommendations! Light skin, tend to be dry, with a few "freckles" which are the only downside of growing up at the beach.

I used to be able to go to the drug store, pick up a bottle of Cover Girl and be very happy with the results. Now (age 57), anything I try either lumps up or slides around. I don't feel that I get enough coverage with Bare Minerals, and the like, to cover sun damage and liquid or cream foundation sinks into pours, wrinkles, etc. (And I don't have that many wrinkles yet!:p)

I happened to surf by QVC last weekend when someone named Mally was on and she was very convincingly applying make-up to someone around my age. I wonder how much is the "magic of tv", or if it is the miracle she made it out to be. So much can be affected by good lighting! :rolleyes:

Would love some recommendations! Light skin, tend to be dry, with a few "freckles" which are the only downside of growing up at the beach.

I'm just a bit younger, and found my magic in Bare Mineral make up a few years ago. There are now a lot of mineral make ups around, you can even buy at your local WalMart

Just make sure they don't have any talc, state they are pure minerals. Talc and such settle in even fine lines. When applying, use a swirl onto a good facial brush, then swirl on your face. Layer, don't try to do it all in one swirl. It should hide your freckles well, it hides my sun spots great! Lasts a long time too

I like a liquid foundation, with a quick dusting of translucent powder to "set" it. I use Maybeline "Dream Mousse"..goes on easy and is formulated for "older" skin! Covers well, without looking thick!

i been recently using that one and like how it goes on.:)

i was tired of trying all the ones bought on tv and went back to the drugstore brands and am happier with the results...there are so many out there to choose from you just have to try some and find one that works for you...GOOD Luck...oh and when you do...go right back and buy a few more before they "change" it or discontinue your color...i hate that:p:(

Another Bare Minerals fan! You can get as much coverage as you want by simply going over your face a second or even a third time. Just make sure you use a tiny, tiny amount at a time, just a little sprinkle in the lid. A small amount goes a long, long ways. If you aren't seeing enough coverage maybe you are not using the correct color? I use the bisque for my under eye circles with the concealer brush and then my base color with the kubuki (full coverage) brush. I only go over my face once and then wipe off the excesss with a cotton pad so that it really looks natural.

I am 47 and my skin has never looked better!

I guess I need to give Bare Escentuals another try. Maybe I need a different brush.

I do use the bisque concealer, but it only stays on for a couple of hours. I would carry some with me to freshen my face, but it's awfully messy! Eye make-up I don't have a problem with. It's the concealer and foundation that seems to disappear after a short time. I use the BE primer with it too!

I am not a fan bare minerals and sheer cover the bismuth in it makes my face cakey and break out because your skin doesn't breathe. I use a cheaper version physician's formula I use translucent for my fair skin-no breakouts and my skin breathes. When doing any type of mineral make up ALWAYS put moisturizer on first then apply.

Hi there

I bought Mally concealer off QVC in the UK a couple of months, it took a couple of attempts to get right and now I'm very happy with it, not tried the foundation so can't comment. Clarins or Lancome foundations I find work well, then finish off with Dior powder.

With all products, use a little at a time and build up very gradually until you get the finish you desire.

Bobbi Brown for all eye shadows, long-wear gel eyeliners. L'Oreal for mascara. Lancome cream to powder Luminesse SPF 18 for foundation. Bobbi Brown pot rouges for cheeks (use cream not powder blush after age 50). Smashbox primer. Retin-A to keep wrinkles away.

The bismuth in Bare Minerals wrecked havoc with my face.

Try Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. I use it with a transparent powder over it. I also use their Smooth undereye cover (apply over foundation, not under, or it will go into lines). A dept. store should be able to find your correct color and give you a free sample to try at home a few times.

Perhaps the OP should try using a primer under foundation. I don't wear foundation frequently, usually just a bit of translucent powder.

I watch those QVC shows mostly to observe selling tactics of the hosts. Since I also work retail, it's interesting how they point out the most inane features of their products, but people like to be "sold" and they have such a captive audience. I do apply those same tactics while in the store at times, it does work.

But when I do use a foundation, I apply a primer over my moisturizer, allowing each layer a few minutes to dry. The primer has a silicone in it, some are called "spackle" it smoothes the skin to allow a more even coverage. I then apply foundation with a sponge, I wet the sponge then squeeze out most of the moisture with a towel. I wet the sponge first as it will absorb more foundation if it is dry, wasting much of it. A sponge gives me a smoother application than with fingers and doesn't look cakey at all.

I've had horrible results with mineral powder foundation. The Bare Essentuals inflamed my skin to the point it took 2 days before the redness subsided. Some of us do have extremely sensitive skin, which is why I avoid foundation most of the time.

My daughter and I have had some good chuckles over the makeup sold on TV, how they keep applying over and over and over again on the same models. I wonder if their skin isn't raw by the end of the infomercial.

I love bare minerals and like someone else said, perhaps you don't have the right color or you're not using enough? I always finish it off with the mineral veil for a nice matte look.

To carry in my purse or when i'm in a hurry though, I use Lancome Dual Finish. Love, love, LOVE that stuff!

Here's another suggestion -- Balance 'N Brighten by Laura Geller. QVC sells it, but she also has her own website. The best way I can describe it is a "baked powder" that gets applied with a brush. It really evens out the skin tone.

Most people can use the regular shade, but if you're REALLY light it also comes in "fair".

You have all given me some great suggestions!

I agree about the QVC selling tactics. It's a little like brainwashing! I had a friend that was addicted to it and spent them into bankruptcy. Very sad. After all that, she lost her husband and used up the life insurance money on more QVC stuff. BUT...She always looked perfect, with the right outfits, jewelry, accessories and makeup.

I've found the key is using a good primer before applying your makeup. (I like Smash Box Photo Finish Color Correcting)

I'm a big Bare Escentuals fan too. The correct brush is a must with BE. My favorite brush is the Full Flawless Face for the best coverage. For concealer, I like MAC as they have the best coverage I've found. Apply the concealer with a concealer brush, blending the edges in before applying your mineral foundation. If one foundation color doesn't work, you can always blend 2 shades together.

My mother has really bad roseacea and has had a lot of luck with Clinique foundation. For a liquid or creme foundation, apply it in a thin layer with a foundation brush, then finishing it with a light dusting of translusent powder works really well for her. If it "sinks into pours, wrinkles, etc." you may have to much foundation on, or it needs to be set.

I've found the key is using a good primer before applying your makeup. (I like Smash Box Photo Finish Color Correcting)

I'm a big Bare Escentuals fan too. The correct brush is a must with BE. My favorite brush is the Full Flawless Face for the best coverage. For concealer, I like MAC as they have the best coverage I've found. Apply the concealer with a concealer brush, blending the edges in before applying your mineral foundation. If one foundation color doesn't work, you can always blend 2 shades together.

My mother has really bad roseacea and has had a lot of luck with Clinique foundation. For a liquid or creme foundation, apply it in a thin layer with a foundation brush, then finishing it with a light dusting of translusent powder works really well for her. If it "sinks into pours, wrinkles, etc." you may have to much foundation on, or it needs to be set.

I used to use Clinique and stopped when we lived in Florida and it "melted" off all the time. Maybe I'll try it again now that I'm back in Virginia and see if it will work.

Thanks for yor suggestions!

Just this morning I did a search online to find out what colors I need with grey hair. I stopped wearing makeup once I let my hair grow out grey and stopped coloring because I just did not look good at all. Interesting, what I found out was the following:

eyeshowdow-pewter and lavender

lips-pinks and apricots

brow pencil - dark blonde

Powder-mineral powder with illumination

blush-I decided on a soft peachy/pinkish color-the article did not recommend any

This article was based on the Jamie Lee Curtis look.

Basically, less is more and hits of color are the way to go - I don't know, anyway, I went to the Avon website and placed my order. I wanted to test a less expensive way before I invested in the more higher end products. Who knows if the Avon products work well I will save money

I've not had good luck with Avon makeup, it just doesn't last the day and wears off so fast. It is cheap, but throwing it into the trash is more wasteful than anything else I can think of.

But then, they didn't build a huge business with unhappy customers, so it's probably a case of it works better for a whole lot more people than me.

My favorite eye shadow is Chanel. It's expensive so I don't purchase it often. I find as my skin is aging, dry powders just don't work so well, the Chanel shadow has a softer feel to it, the pigment rich, it stays on all day. I use less of it than I do other brands, so it's like other quality items, the value is there since the product goes further than others do. It's just the initial cash outlay that stings ;)

I have never used Avon, so I will let you know once I have tried it. I've bought a lot of high end items in my life that I did end up tossing, mostly because they made me break out. I figure if I try the Avon colors ($20) and they work I then know that I need to purchase. I don't care for makeup artists at the department store counters. They push more to buy things you don't need than the cruise lines. I have always worn Estee Lauder products until the grey hair, I just did not look right. I love their mascara.

I use Clinique because I'm sensitive to perfume and I have rosacea. I tried mineral makeups but my eyes and skin didn't like them.

I use the balanced makeup with a translucent powder to finish. You can put the foundation on light or heavy depending on what you need. In summer I just wear their tinted spf moisturizer called Almost Makeup plus powder on the t-zone.

Keep in mind that when you buy drugstore makeup you should always take it near a window to check the color against your skin. Because drugstores have flourescent lighting, makeup companies tint the colors to look good in the store, and they may look very different in natural light. Department store counters generally have more natural light.

Find a local Avon rep through the website and get some samples to try. They have a new liquid mineral foundation I love, good coverage and nice finish. I confess I am an Avon rep (35 years+) but I love the products. I have very sensitive skin and many products (including the expensive ones) end up giving me a rash so I stick with what works for me. I actually carry the samples when I travel to save packing space for other things.

I am not a fan bare minerals and sheer cover the bismuth in it makes my face cakey and break out because your skin doesn't breathe. I use a cheaper version physician's formula I use translucent for my fair skin-no breakouts and my skin breathes. When doing any type of mineral make up ALWAYS put moisturizer on first then apply.

I used to use Bare Minerals, then I found afterglow cosmetics - http://www.afterglowcosmetics.com I switched to this because I couldn't have any gluten in my make-up... and It has NO bismuth!! No Talc, no soy, no parabens, no nanos. Mostly organic materials. I really like the lipsticks, they make your lips feel so good.

This make-up looks good on all ages, and I am middle-aged, and both my daughters use it and love it!

This is my perfect combination too! I have to dry my hair while my primer sets before applying the rest. (I like Bobbi Brown concealer) If you wait for the silicone to set - it provides an excellent canvas!

Let us know how you make out with Avon. I find that I am using them more and more...many because of price and their products are improving I have always used Lancome, Elizabeth Arden and Mac. For instance the eye primer is not as good as Mac but it works perfectly fine and is $10 Cdn instead of $18..With some of Lancome's face cream now over

$100 a jar ...I am thinking twice

Archived