Getting in Shape for Cruise...what's your plan?

5326jan

Hi All, we're cruising in Europe next year and I know for sure that we'll be visiting several sites that require climbing a lot of stairs. The Monestaries in Meteora, Greece for instance! I know that I need to get into shape in order to get to the top ...with some dignity left. :rolleyes:

The problem is that I HATE exercise!!! I'd rather lick the floor than get on a stairmaster! :( I plan to start walking as soon as it cools off enough. Anyone have a workout routine that is fun? I think I can go to the mall and walk on bad days in the winter and climb the stairs there without drawing too much attention to myself. I'm 57 and slightly overweight. I've already joined ww to take care of the extra weight. HELP!!

I walk 4 miles most every day. (That I can, I work alot)

WW will help you a ton in getting in better shape. Thats a great start. Then you just gotta keep a moving. I too hate the treadmill. So I walk. But I need more than just walking to focus on other areas too. I mix it up ALOT. I also give myself a challenge with a deadline, that way I will get it done and not just quit. I need variety. I also did a search on the internet to see what is out there to spark my interest.

I have done the military basic training program and boy did that get me back in shape quick. Well, I think it was an 11 or 16 week program. LOL

I love yoga and pilates and those really help with the stretching and if you have a bad back.

I try to focus on things I like to do and stick with that. I am thinking now of starting a spin class and also find a dvd for the Barre Method.

I count points. I usually start getting really serious about WW about six months before my cruise. Keeps me from having to lose the weight quickly. I have about a 10-12 pound swing in my weight, with the lowest always hitting on day one of the cruise!

I count points. I usually start getting really serious about WW about six months before my cruise. Keeps me from having to lose the weight quickly. I have about a 10-12 pound swing in my weight, with the lowest always hitting on day one of the cruise!

On my last cruise I was back on the upswing in my weight and I had purchased my new clothes at my low point. It stinks to have new clothes that don't fit well. :rolleyes: Now that I'm back at WW I hope to stop the yoyo dieting.

Walking will surely have to be my exercise plan. It's free, it's convenient, and you can do it any time of the day. I live near the beach, so I can always head to the boardwalk if I get sick of the neighborhood walks.

I've lost 75 pounds on WW recently. I'm 60.

I also HATE exercise. To me, the concept of fun exercise (other than downhill skiing, which I love) is an oxymoron. I hate getting sweaty and out of breath, both required for cardio exercise to be effective.

That being said, sometimes I walk, I have a weight lifting routine, and I have recently purchased a set of exercise tapes because I like the flexibility and convenience of exercising at home, rather than driving to a gym. It also seems to help me to have someone telling me what to do.

Good luck!

On my last cruise I was back on the upswing in my weight and I had purchased my new clothes at my low point. It stinks to have new clothes that don't fit well. :rolleyes: Now that I'm back at WW I hope to stop the yoyo dieting.

Walking will surely have to be my exercise plan. It's free, it's convenient, and you can do it any time of the day. I live near the beach, so I can always head to the boardwalk if I get sick of the neighborhood walks.

Ahh...to live in a warm climate. I hope to someday relocate to the southeast! But for now, I'm in New England. I always cruise during the winter months (to escape!), so walking is a tough one.

I've lost 75 pounds on WW recently. I'm 60.

I also HATE exercise. To me, the concept of fun exercise (other than downhill skiing, which I love) is an oxymoron. I hate getting sweaty and out of breath, both required for cardio exercise to be effective.

That being said, sometimes I walk, I have a weight lifting routine, and I have recently purchased a set of exercise tapes because I like the flexibility and convenience of exercising at home, rather than driving to a gym. It also seems to help me to have someone telling me what to do.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have about 25lbs to lose. Which I have lost over and over again about 20 times! One of these times I hope it sticks! :o It sure does get harder as I get older.

I have tapes (dvd's), it does help, but it's still so boring! Wii is a good idea. My DH does it, but I haven't caught on to the "fun" part yet.

Military boot camp would be effective! I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that, but it is offered here.

Walking will probably be a good start. Once I start getting into the habit of exercising, I can move up to the others.

I lost 4 pounds this week, so I'm off to a good start!

WW is a great start. I lost 60 lb and the only exercise I did was walking and bicycle riding. The great thing about walking is you already know how to do it and you can do it anywhere.

I suggest investing in a good pedometer. I have Omron that works great in my pocket or even in a purse. Then track your steps/miles. Figure out how many miles you will be going from port to port. Then walk that many. You will be surprised how quickly you will be able to make that goal.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Last summer we did the eastern Med. Between the heat,salt,food and tons of walking, my feet were swollen that i could barely wear flip flops. The long plane ride home was truly painful! We leave for the Western Med. in six weeks and I am determined to not have a repeat!! I just turned 50 in April. I started Nutrisystem on July 5.This past Monday I stated WW just for a food change, I've lost 20 pounds.

Shopril, just ordered a pedometer. It will keep me honest. Great suggestion!

Clackey, You are very tolerant. If my DH offered up such an ultimatim, I would be cruising alone! :eek:

kadey, I tried Nutrisystem once too. The malitol was not agreeable with my digestive system. :(

Congrats to all who have a plan and have made it successful for you. You all inspire me! Tomorrow is Sept 1. My cruise is Sept 4, 2011. That's 368 days to get it together!

I just joined a sports club in order to work out to lose weight. I have about thirty pounds to lose. I have been going three times a week for a few weeks now and jogging two miles on the treadmill (apparently im in the minority here for loving the treadmill).

Im also using the pulley machines and free weights to build a little more muscle to burn even more calories. I have about six months left until I cruise, I just need to keep up this routine that long and im sure it will make a huge difference.

I have learned to like my treadmill. I put it in front of my T.V. So now if I wanna watch T.V., I must walk. Lol. Actually after the first couple minutes, I enjoy it. I'm getting my boob-tube fix and my exercise. Now I just have to keep as focused on what I'm eating. But I'm doing good. Down 16 lbs this month. I am determined to be in better shape for this cruise than I was on the last one!

[

Anyone have a workout routine that is fun?

After our last cruise dh said he was going to get rid of his "pot". We went on the SB Diet and found it really sustainable. Lots of veggies (half the plate), less meat, much less starch. He has lost 40 lbs and I, 20. I was not overweight to start as our insurance pays for gym membership and I had been going regularly for at least 2 years. I hate the tread mill but use the eliptical trainer for 7 minutes and then do abs and some weights. Just do it! We enjoy having company and are just basically eating less. Last night we had our nephew over and made Irish soda bread and cold cucumber soup. Also we had a half chicken thigh marinated in Chinese sauce and grilled on the smoker. Finished up with strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. That was much more than we usually eat. On the ship we fill our plate with salad at lunch, try a few bites of other things and enjoy a regular dinner.

walk about 4 miles a day...I wear a pedometer, always park in the farthest available parking spot, & I ride my bike to & from work ( about 11 miles each way.) Never take an elevator; always stairs or walk up the escalator... dh & I also walk to dinner most nights. Our regualr diet is low carb.

I lift one or two pound weights in reps of 50 with each arm. About 20 of these spaced out over three weeks before cruise allows me the proper flexibility and stamina to heft mulitple beer bottles and drink glasses for the duration of the sailing. LOL

I lift one or two pound weights in reps of 50 with each arm. About 20 of these spaced out over three weeks before cruise allows me the proper flexibility and stamina to heft mulitple beer bottles and drink glasses for the duration of the sailing. LOL

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now there's a plan I could stick to!:D

[

Anyone have a workout routine that is fun?

Try Zumba (dancing exercises to Latin beats) or Hooping (hula hoop exercises). Both are lots of fun. The hour goes by really quickly. You do sweat because you exercise but because it is so much fun you don't realise how hard you are actually working.

I was doing Leslie Sansone's walk at home program. I need to start again. She has 15 minute, 30 and 45 minute walks. You burn calories and it boosts your metabolism among other benefits.You can get the dvd from the library or just purchase it. If you have Comcast cable her program is on demand.

Hi All, we're cruising in Europe next year and I know for sure that we'll be visiting several sites that require climbing a lot of stairs. The Monestaries in Meteora, Greece for instance! I know that I need to get into shape in order to get to the top ...with some dignity left. :rolleyes:

The problem is that I HATE exercise!!! I'd rather lick the floor than get on a stairmaster! :( I plan to start walking as soon as it cools off enough. Anyone have a workout routine that is fun? I think I can go to the mall and walk on bad days in the winter and climb the stairs there without drawing too much attention to myself. I'm 57 and slightly overweight. I've already joined ww to take care of the extra weight. HELP!!

PILATES.

It's good for all-over toning and strengthening and the best part is that there are A ZILLION exercises. While it's best to start with an instructor to get the basics down, a good dvd or book can get you rolling.

You can do it anywhere. And you see results very quickly as exercises become easier over time.

I like going to the gym, but stairmaster scares me. I'll put treadmill on steep incline instead.

Swimming is also a wonderful conditioning exercise, but walking is a great way to start. be sure to stretch and wear the right shoes and try to avoid concrete. asphalt is less jarring.

Good luck!

I want to lose about 20 pounds for my cruise in Dec.

Resolutions:

1. I will give up soda.

2. I will use my WiiFit every morning to weigh myself and to complete yoga exercises because it really does make me feel better throughout the day.

3. I will also use the treadmill in the evening. I will put my treadmill in front of the TV and put in a 30 min or 1 hour DVD (however much time I have). That will trick me into believing that I am having a little bit of fun.

Hopefully, these drastic measures will work. If not, oh well, I will still be cruising....

I followed someone's advice about getting a pedometer. I'm surprised by how motivating it is! The first day I walked about 7500 steps, my goal is 10,000. The next day we had Hurricane Earl, so I didn't get to go out much, but I managed to get about 3500 working in the house. Yesterday I tried very hard and got to 9500. I found myself parking further out in the parking lot, walking the circumference of stores to get what I needed instead of short cuts. This is one activity where efficiency does not pay off. It's fun and coupled with WW, I'll see progress. Thanks for all the suggestions and good luck to those who are working on their next "cruise bodies"!;)

Archived