Midship Vs Aft

I have this cabin (corner aft) booked for a cruise to Hawaii and wondered if anyone had stayed in this aft room and if there was shade on part of the balcony. I love aft cabins but I can't sit in the sun so I need an overhang. I also wondered if it was noisy since it is under the gym. Thanks for your help.

Just booked an aft corner balcony on Enchantment for our Thanksgiving cruise, and can't wait to fall asleep to the sound of the wake. Motion usually doesn't bother us, but I'm hoping the seas (coming out of Baltimore) aren't TOO rough...

Merion Mom

Great pics of deck 6 corner aft, never seen that view of the "grey" from that perspective. I don't think I would want that view even with my desire for the corner.

Tim

The crazy thing is that on Freedom class ships, the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE is mid-Deck 6 aft! That's the view that the most expensive suite on the ship has!

The crazy thing is that on Freedom class ships, the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE is mid-Deck 6 aft! That's the view that the most expensive suite on the ship has!

You are correct and I would like to add the fact that EVERYONE on deck 7 can look into your balcony WITHOUT even trying.

If I paid that much for a cabin you better bet I want some reasonable privacy!

Tim

Has anyone stayed in this room? I need to know if it is covered at least partially since I cannot sit in the sun. I need to have shade at all times. Thanks. The pictures don't help answer this question.

I can see the forward of the ship having motion (up and down) and less so as you go back. But why would the back have more motion than center of the ship?

Think of the ship as a teeter totter, the ends move more than the center as it goes over the swells.

I have this cabin (corner aft) booked for a cruise to Hawaii and wondered if anyone had stayed in this aft room and if there was shade on part of the balcony. I love aft cabins but I can't sit in the sun so I need an overhang. I also wondered if it was noisy since it is under the gym. Thanks for your help.

Yes, there's some overhang, so you should be fine - DH can't take sun either but manages on that balcony. The cabin is actually under the spa (the gym is on Deck 10), and there's no noise from above.:) If there's a late night crew party on the crew deck (Deck 4 or 5), you may hear that.

I will say that the center aft (8590, I think) is almost completely covered - the coverage gets better as you move to the middle.

Between the center aft cabin and the corner one - knowing that I want to sit in the shade in my chaise - which one would you take - critterchick? I need the cover to go out far enough so I am in the shade since I can't sit in the sun at all - I just burn and end up with sun poisoning which is not fun. For some reason the pictures made it appear that there was very little overhang in this room - 8088 and I know if I give it up it will be gone in one second. Also if there are two center aft rooms - would you take one on deck 7 or stick with deck 8. We don't care about the room - just the balcony and any noise. Thank so much for you help.

Between the center aft cabin and the corner one - knowing that I want to sit in the shade in my chaise - which one would you take - critterchick? I need the cover to go out far enough so I am in the shade since I can't sit in the sun at all - I just burn and end up with sun poisoning which is not fun. For some reason the pictures made it appear that there was very little overhang in this room - 8088 and I know if I give it up it will be gone in one second. Also if there are two center aft rooms - would you take one on deck 7 or stick with deck 8. We don't care about the room - just the balcony and any noise. Thank so much for you help.

Given your need for shade, I'd take the center aft cabin. The balcony is the size of the cabin, so you have enough space for ballroom dance lessons out there, LOL. And you'll have a terrific panoramic view that 8088 doesn't have, although you will lose the clear view to portside. We have 8588 on an upcoming cruise, but if the center aft JS comes up, we may switch over. We'll see.

The Deck 7 cabin will be a D-1 or D-2 regular balcony, while Deck 8 is a JS. We've sailed in both and, although we greatly prefer the JS, the D is very nice - on Vision (Rhapsody's twin sister), you get a full sofa, but you don't get the extra sitting chairs. And the bathroom has a shower instead of a shower/tub combo, which was fine for us - I don't need a tub. And the balcony is narrower - there's still plenty of room for a couple of loungers, though. And of course you get one less cruise credit.

As many have said, it is a personal preference aft vs. mid ship.

The aft cabins have a great view and not much traffic around the cabin. It is a long walk espcially on some ships with aft elevators. There is more motion at the back. My husband has a bad back and he said he was constantly checking his balance and was in a lot of pain.

The views of the wave are soothing and beautiful. I did not care for all the stuff (ship supports) in the view line and everyone can see you on your balcony. Maybe the corner is different, but at the back, we were exposed.

The mid-ship hump is also very nice expecially if you have the center of the hump, great views. Take binoculars and you can watch the bridge with the are docking on your side. The motion is less and the wall to all the venues is shorter, but there is more traffic outside your room.

Definitely pros and cons to both. Personally I would choose a mid-ship hump.

I've only cruised on CCL, so I've never heard the term "hump" before. What kind of cabin is this?

For the record, we are mid-ship only people. I'll actually pay MORE to get mid-ship vs. aft or forward.

If you look at the side of the ship about midship, there is a bump or "hump" where the cabins stick out farther. Some people like the cabins in this area since you can see the entire length of the ship if you have a center hump. They are near elevators making them more convenient.

We just sailed on our first Royal ship ..and our first aft.

Really, we don't think it was too bad. We sailed on Carnival one year FWD and it was rough ..and it was AWFUL. Our cruise was a bit rocky, blame tropical depression 16 and it still wasn't as bad as that AFT cruise ..lol

Archived