Have taxes increased again today???

I just checked prices for our February Freedom cruise and noticed there was no change in the price of our cruise (I'm always looking for drops as we booked ES) but noticed taxes went up considerably. I think about

$20 or $25 per person! This is the second increase in taxes we have seen since we booked in February.

I just checked prices for our February Freedom cruise and noticed there was no change in the price of our cruise (I'm always looking for drops as we booked ES) but noticed taxes went up considerably. I think about

$20 or $25 per person! This is the second increase in taxes we have seen since we booked in February.

Carnival can charge you (once booked) for added increased in the Govt Fees and Taxes, but their claim is that they will not charge for increases and will refund decreases - all to be settled-up just before or shortly after sailaway. Just checked our 12 Feb 2011 Freedom and they did go up some $30+ for 2 persons!!! ken

I was thinking that we were likely locked in to the taxes in effect when we booked BUT if there is a price drop and we apply for the difference in a price adjustment or OBC the increased taxes will be factored in then.

The ES Price Adjustments are independent of Govt Fees and Taxes. These are not normally adjusted/finalized until sailaway, unless you actually change the booking in some manner. ken

Our 1/22/11 cruise has gone up $30.03 each in taxes since we booked last Feb.

Carnival can charge you (once booked) for added increased in the Govt Fees and Taxes, but their claim is that they will not charge for increases and will refund decreases - all to be settled-up just before or shortly after sailaway. Just checked our 12 Feb 2011 Freedom and they did go up some $30+ for 2 persons!!! ken

Iv never once heard this is true ... how did you find this out?? When mine increased, I let my TA talk me into paying the extra.

Do you have a link, or is this just because someone wasnt charged extra who posted or you talked to someone?

I was thinking that we were likely locked in to the taxes in effect when we booked BUT if there is a price drop and we apply for the difference in a price adjustment or OBC the increased taxes will be factored in then.

I have never seen anything to support this in Carnival's policy. Only your price is locked in.

Iv never once heard this is true ... how did you find this out?? When mine increased, I let my TA talk me into paying the extra.

Do you have a link, or is this just because someone wasnt charged extra who posted or you talked to someone?

I actually have this in a response from Carnival on the subject (for what that's weorth) - I'll try to find the response! Ken

Perhaps I am confused, but am I to understand if I am paid in full for my January cruise and taxes increase between now and then...am I expected to pay additional???? Never been an issue in the past so I am really wondering.

Do you have a link, or is this just because someone wasnt charged extra who posted or you talked to someone? Fire

*Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines and for your patience. We have received your e-mail message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

*We hope that the following information will clarify our answer in regards to your email. As your detailed review of your cruise documents and ticket contract indicates, government fees and taxes are indeed subject to change without notice. In some instances, there is actually an increase in government fees and taxes after full deposit or full payment has been placed on a booking. As you pointed out in item 7(a) on the Ticket Contract, we are not obligated to protect your government fees and taxes in that instance and could legitimately charge the higher amount. However, we understand that you agreed to pay a certain amount at the time of booking and therefore do not adjust your taxes and fees if they increase, unless you choose to upgrade your reservation and taxes and fees are higher at that time.*

*Your concern here is that current government fees and taxes are lower than what you agreed to pay when you booked your cruise. As you can see, taxes and fees do fluctuate, but in those instances where they decrease, the change is not made to the reservation until the Thursday prior to the sailing. This guarantees all passengers pay the latest and correct government fees and taxes. As noted in the Cruise Documents, when they are lower than what you originally paid, the difference is provided to you as an onboard credit. If they have increased, as a courtesy to our customers, we do not charge you the difference.*

from Carnival Guest solutions

ken

Perhaps I am confused, but am I to understand if I am paid in full for my January cruise and taxes increase between now and then...am I expected to pay additional???? Never been an issue in the past so I am really wondering.

I have also paid in full for our late November cruise on the Ecstasy. I wonder if I will have to pay more in taxes? I guess I better check.

Hey - another question: How do I join the

"Official Trailer Trash Vacation Club"?

I

*We hope that the following information will clarify our answer in regards to your email. As your detailed review of your cruise documents and ticket contract indicates, government fees and taxes are indeed subject to change without notice. In some instances, there is actually an increase in government fees and taxes after full deposit or full payment has been placed on a booking. As you pointed out in item 7(a) on the Ticket Contract, we are not obligated to protect your government fees and taxes in that instance and could legitimately charge the higher amount. However, we understand that you agreed to pay a certain amount at the time of booking and therefore do not adjust your taxes and fees if they increase, unless you choose to upgrade your reservation and taxes and fees are higher at that time.*

from Carnival Guest solutions

ken

Ken, maybe it was because I asked for a price drop. They subtracted the higher taxes and fees and only gave me the difference.

So, either Carnival did not abide by this OR if you change anything on the booking, including a price drop....this rule doesnt hold??

I know I paid the increased taxes and fees.

Ken, maybe it was because I asked for a price drop. They subtracted the higher taxes and fees and only gave me the difference.

So, either Carnival did not abide by this OR if you change anything on the booking, including a price drop....this rule doesnt hold??

I know I paid the increased taxes and fees.

I spoke with them about this. They would charge the modified taxes if you were adding another person, that type of thing - not for a Price Drop. Also, the ES price adjustment is stated as being independent of the Govt Fees and Taxes. I'm thinking that you found someone that didn't apply the Policy - we know that happens probably every day!

ken

I did have a price drop a few months ago on my Feb. 26 Freedom cruise.

I applied for a price reduction and received it, however the taxes had gone up since my original booking and on my adjusted confirmation the higher tax was reflected (which ate up most of the price drop).

I'm assuming by this, that if you apply for a price drop it is considered "upgrading your reservation" and you will get charged the new tax rate. If there happens to be another price drop, I think I will call my PVP to clarify before applying for it.

Do you think it will make a difference if you pay your cruise off in full early?

I did have a price drop a few months ago on my Feb. 26 Freedom cruise.

I applied for a price reduction and received it, however the taxes had gone up since my original booking and on my adjusted confirmation the higher tax was reflected (which ate up most of the price drop).

I'm assuming by this, that if you apply for a price drop it is considered "upgrading your reservation" and you will get charged the new tax rate. If there happens to be another price drop, I think I will call my PVP to clarify before applying for it.

Do you think it will make a difference if you pay your cruise off in full early?

Ken, did you see this .... so Im not the only one charged the new higher taxes and fees when they went up.

My taxes went down? :confused: I know it was a total of $1303 for the both of us when I booked and now it's $1291? Weird? The price per person hasn't changed...I checked.

Do a SEARCH for your cruise/category - the right border should show the "Govt Fees and Taxes" which you can compare to your original booking. ken

I just went & looked as I was curious for our Oct. cruise. They had been down about $8 pp from what we had paid with our booking & they are now up a total of $20 since yesterday. Sounds like for the most part, it was across the board in a way.

Archived