spa hard sell

grandmacruise

I didn't realize that Elemis products are used on Princess!

When I asked several months ago which products (shampoo, bath gel, lotion) are in your cabin, I was told that they were some other cheap brand. Does anyone know? I don't want to schlep all this in my luggage if Elemis is available.

Or are these products just available in the spa?

How is the spa besides the hard sell? Do they have a day pass for the jacuzzi and steam rooms?

Elemis is only in the spa. Personally, I like the eucalyptus products that are in the cabins. Also, I believe that you can just show up for the steam rooms. I always tell myself that I'll use the steam rooms and then just never have the time. :p

And on the subject of the hard sell, I once got a pedicure (my first one... and since it included a nice foot massage, my feet have never felt better!) on the Sapphire Princess and passed on the products, but did say that I'd think about it. Well, a couple of days later, there was a message on our cabin phone "reminding" me of their product specials... needless to say, I passed...

The first couple of Princess cruises I took there was a hard sell. The next couple I just told them upfront I wasn't interested in any of their products. I also didn't fill out many of the questions on their paperwork that didn't apply to my massage. The last time on the Royal she didn't even mention products and I didn't say anything to her prior to the treatment.

I guess it depends on the spa personnel. I booked a "Spa Day Special" on CB, and I got the best haircut and color I've ever had. It included a mini facial, makeup, etc., and never once did the stylist ask me to purchase anything.

On other Princess cruises, I've bought services, and when asked about purchasing product, just said I didn't need it at that time, and nothing further was said.

However, on Carnival one time when I told them I didn't want any products after a facial, the employee went so far as to say something along the lines of, "Well, I've tried to improve your skin, but since you're not going to use our products, this was all for nothing." Needless to say, I didn't go back for any other services, and still irritates me now if I let it.

I guess it depends on the spa personnel. I booked a "Spa Day Special" on CB, and I got the best haircut and color I've ever had. It included a mini facial, makeup, etc., and never once did the stylist ask me to purchase anything.

On other Princess cruises, I've bought services, and when asked about purchasing product, just said I didn't need it at that time, and nothing further was said.

However, on Carnival one time when I told them I didn't want any products after a facial, the employee went so far as to say something along the lines of, "Well, I've tried to improve your skin, but since you're not going to use our products, this was all for nothing." Needless to say, I didn't go back for any other services, and still irritates me now if I let it.

That was pretty nervy of the employee!:eek: Did you make a report to the Spa Manager or the Purser?

My girlfriend and I just finished our first cruise on the Diamond Princess. She booked a spa "special" and liked the treatment but it was nearly ruined by what she referred to as the "infomercial" during and at the end of her massage.

Turned what should have been a relaxing massage into less than that.

I didn't consider it a hard sell. They started to ask and I said thank you so much for your treatment but I'm not interested in purchasing additional products and that was the end of that.

I tend to agree with you. It really wasn't a hard sell but I felt bad saying no so I bought two of the four products they suggested and the stuff is expensive too! But I'm kind of whimpy that way. :o

I've found the pushiest sales folks give the best massages.

In fact, the only massage I've gotten which was sub-par from Steiner on any line was the one where the woman didn't even ask me to buy anything...or even tell me what she used on me.

I'd recommend simply saying no thank you at the end, and reporting any pushiness to the spa manager if you find it to be that big of a problem. Telling them ahead of time you're not going to buy, or writing on your form "not interested in products", is likely to make them put forth less effort during your treatment... just sayin'. (Put yourself in their shoes... are you going to try harder to please a customer who tells you they won't make further commission off you no matter what...?)

Thanks. I was hoping it was different on Princess. They are presistant but I don't give in. It really does ruin a wonderful treatment. If writing "NOT INTERESTED IN PRODUCTS" on the form works I'll give it a try ... or perhaps I'll skip the spa treatment and use the money for relaxing in the Sanctuary..:rolleyes:

Several years ago, Princess tried to run their own spa on one or two ships (I think it may have been Sapphire and Diamond but can't remember). Everyone raved about the service and there were very few complaints. Several months later after hearing all these good things about it, Princess ended it and signed with Steiners for the entire fleet.

------------

I found this press release:

Steiner to operate all Princess spas

6/1/2005

Steiner Leisure Ltd. renewed its spa management agreement with Princess

Cruises, including the addition of the Caribbean Princess, Sapphire Princess

and P&O Australia ships.

In a test case, Princess had operated the Lotus Spas on the Caribbean

Princess and Sapphire Princess in-house since the introductions of the two

ships last year. The spas offered significantly different products and

services through partnerships with the French Phytomer skin product line,

Carita of Paris for haircare and CreativeSpa for nails.

Under the new agreement, Steiner said the vessels would be divided into

three classes, with the renewal for Princess extending three years, the

Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess for four years and the P&O

Australia ships for five years. The agreement covers spa and massage

services, hairdressing, beauty treatments and fitness programs on the

existing fleets of Princess and P&O Australia, a total of 16 ships, as well

as the newbuilds Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess II, delivering in

2006 and '07, plus any additional new ships announced by Princess through

December 2006.

Steiner Leisure president and ceo Leonard Fluxman said the company is 'very

excited' about the contract renewal and Princess's decision to include the

vessels it had previously operated in-house. 'We are also looking forward to

assisting Princess in the further development of its exclusive Lotus Spa

program, providing high quality spa services to their passengers,' he added.

Several years ago, Princess tried to run their own spa on one or two ships (I think it may have been Sapphire and Diamond but can't remember). Everyone raved about the service and there were very few complaints. Several months later after hearing all these good things about it, Princess ended it and signed with Steiners for the entire fleet.

------------

I found this press release:

Steiner to operate all Princess spas

6/1/2005

Steiner Leisure Ltd. renewed its spa management agreement with Princess

Cruises, including the addition of the Caribbean Princess, Sapphire Princess

and P&O Australia ships.

In a test case, Princess had operated the Lotus Spas on the Caribbean

Princess and Sapphire Princess in-house since the introductions of the two

ships last year. The spas offered significantly different products and

services through partnerships with the French Phytomer skin product line,

Carita of Paris for haircare and CreativeSpa for nails.

Under the new agreement, Steiner said the vessels would be divided into

three classes, with the renewal for Princess extending three years, the

Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess for four years and the P&O

Australia ships for five years. The agreement covers spa and massage

services, hairdressing, beauty treatments and fitness programs on the

existing fleets of Princess and P&O Australia, a total of 16 ships, as well

as the newbuilds Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess II, delivering in

2006 and '07, plus any additional new ships announced by Princess through

December 2006.

Steiner Leisure president and ceo Leonard Fluxman said the company is 'very

excited' about the contract renewal and Princess's decision to include the

vessels it had previously operated in-house. 'We are also looking forward to

assisting Princess in the further development of its exclusive Lotus Spa

program, providing high quality spa services to their passengers,' he added.

Well that is unfortunate!

I wonder why Princess decided to go with Steiner for all of the ships, if the two in-house spas were so highly rated by guests...

If its not broke, don't fix it!

Well that is unfortunate!

I wonder why Princess decided to go with Steiner for all of the ships, if the two in-house spas were so highly rated by guests...

If its not broke, don't fix it!

My hair stylist used to be the salon manager for Steiner onboard a cruise ship. Then, he went to work with Jose Eber about 15 years ago and is still with them today. He said he had to completely re-learn how to cut hair the "right" way. ;) He frequently goes to seminars and re-trains in Paris and the stories he tells me of life on the ship are pretty interesting. He said he would never go back to Steiner and their way of doing business. So, from an insider, I don't think it's the best company.

That was pretty nervy of the employee!:eek: Did you make a report to the Spa Manager or the Purser?

Tracie,

I didn't, but should have. I did however warn everyone else in our group what to expect if and when they booked spa services, so at least they'd be prepared for the pitch.

The very best massage I ever had began in perfect peace and peace and tranquility was maintained all throughout the procedure. I left in peace also. I was offered herbal tea first, then sent into a small sitting room to change into a fluffy robe, soft music in the background. When the massage began the masseuse placed a warm towel around my face when I was on my back,, and cool compresses on my eyes. There was no chatter. The whole procedure ended with cool fruit slices and more herbal tea ,, in an open seating area that had a roaring fire going,, and that only robed guests were admitted to. this was not on a cruise ship,, but it cost less then any massage I have seen offered on a cruise ship.

At no point did anyone push any product.

This is what I expect and want from a spa service like a massage.

I had my hair done on a ship once for formal night ,, years ago, it was poorly done, and way over priced, plus the hard sell for some cheap hair assesories. I have never gone back to a ships salons.

I get my mani pedi done at home. They do it better ,and cheaper.

Elemis products are available on line at much cheaper prices with free shipping! Just say no.

I saw the products on amazon but they were the same price. Where did you see them cheaper?

Tracie,

I didn't, but should have. I did however warn everyone else in our group what to expect if and when they booked spa services, so at least they'd be prepared for the pitch.

I wish I was aware of the salespitch so I could have prepared myself to say no beforehand. At least I'll know the next time.

I didn't consider it a hard sell. They started to ask and I said thank you so much for your treatment but I'm not interested in purchasing additional products and that was the end of that.

I agree. If you seem to show any interest just to be polite they figure they have a chance to make a sale. If you tell them up front that you are not interested and don't want a sales pitch they will stop. I've never had a problem if I'm upfront with them at the beginning.

YES, you get the hard sell! I'm afraid I'm not so tenacious - I gave up before they did!

I really don't like the hard sell, and find it frustrating that they don't take no for an answer. I used to treat myself to a massage on every cruise, but I don't do that anymore - the hard sell kinda ruins it for me! Too bad - it was always so relaxing, but I left annoyed, so it didn't seem worth it.

I hear ya! I hesitate to get any treatment(which are always about double the price as on land) because of the hard sell. I know they want to sell products, but I think they would get more customers getting spa treatments, if the customers didn't have to worry about the sales pitch at the end of the treatment.

I got a "special price" massage and facial at one of the Art Auctions. When I went for the treatments, which were very nice, I got the hard sell (she actually had a table set up with all the products and actually did the informercial thing. All the products "presented" were going to cost in excess of $400! I did purchase one of the products and then wrote the tip on the receipt. Of course, I hadn't yet gotten my glasses back from the girl, and didn't notice that the tip was already on there.

When I got back to my cabin and noticed that I tipped, very generously I might add, TWICE, I called the spa and complained. I was so annoyed, I ended up not only having the double tip taken off, but I returned the product I bought.

If, in the future, I do get a spa treatment, I will indeed, make a note on the pre treatment paper work that I am not interested in any products, and I will certainly put my darn glasses back on before I tip and sign the check!

I saw the products on amazon but they were the same price. Where did you see them cheaper?

quote]

I have used one or two of the Elemis and La Therapie products (although not originally from a cruise line) and if I reorder, I get it at timetospa.com

There are ALWAYS 20% off and free shipping promotions. So, if you do find you like a product on board, you can think about it for the rest of the cruise and if when you get home, still think it's worth the high cost, just go online and get it and save some money and some space in your luggage! :)

Just wanted to give everyone a little bit of insight to the "hard sell"... I've never worked nor been associated with Steiner in any way or form so I can only make speculations based on my own experiences as a former employee of the spa industry.

Spa companies make the majority of their profit not from treatments, but from their products. Hence, the aggressive pressure they put on their employees to make sales at the end of each treatment. A percentage of the treatment typically gets paid towards the employee as their commission whereas the majority of what they would make on an item-sell gets to be pocketed by the spa.

Sure, the spa can stand to make perhaps (eg) $60 out of a $100 massage, but if they have to pay the therapist $40 anyways then the employee might as well try to make them an additional $400 in product sales right? (Keeping in mind that the people usually responsible for making these decisions have usually never worked in the spa setting themselves and may have no idea how invasive this approach is).

Anyhoo... I'm just trying to say that it's not always the employee's prerogative to ruin the relaxing experience... they're just doing their job (of course, there's always a bad apple in every basket). I would bet a majority of them look forward to the sales pitch about as much as their clientele does. Like much of you do anyways, a smile and a firm but polite "No, I'm not interested, but thank you." is often all that's required for the end of the hard sell. Threatening their tip just seems a bit mean.

But by all means... if a spa employee is being unnecessarily pushy or rude please let management know!

My 2 cents... er.... many cents :o

Archived