What Can Happen When you Have a Disregard for Time on a Cruise Ship

MrPete

I read that original thread. What I don't get is how they act like it's not their responsibility to know what time it was on the ship. We're going on our first cruise this fall and I've learned a lot from this site including the fact the ship's time is not necessarily what it is ashore. Everyone wants to blame someone for their irresponsibility. This couple really wasn't prepared. They weren't carrying copies of their passports or id's and bc's so they couldn't prove they were us citizens. They also gave themselves little time to get back to the ship even if the time was correct. They didn't look at his watch til they were on their way back, etc. They also wanted to blame the guy at the resort who told them the truth about what time it was, it just wasn't ship time. He can't be held responsible for not knowing what time it is on every ship. It's a good example for the rest of us on what not to do.

If I read it correctly he is in the travel industry since he was missing his ATA travel agent card. DUH shouldn't he have known better.

Lesson wear your own watch.

And the OP stated it was their *sixth* cruise. They definitely should have known better.

Absolutely NO sympathy here..... I don't think there has been a time that before sailing we didn't hear people being paged due to missing the ship. It is pretty funny to hear the cheers and boo's from people as they watch the tenders ferry out the late arrivals.

I know it was stupid on their part but it's not like any of us has never done anything stupid before :D

Sometimes being away...especially if you are cruising...makes something happen to your brain. I think inhaling the smell of the ocean melts your brain actually...that's what makes vacation time so good...you are spending (if you are lucky) most of the time, out of your mind...literally. :p

so, OK, those two were VERY out of their minds...but, ship happens.

That's why I buy insurance!!!! :D

Would travel insurance cover the extra cost?

Being Canadian most cruise lines take our passports but I always carry a copy in the tote bag I always take with me off the ship.

This fact always amazes me. I, for the life of me, can't understand why the cruise lines "hold" someone's passport.

It would seem when going ashore, this is the time that most paxs would most likely have the need to prove they are Canadian or American. In just this instance, a passport would prove invaluable. I don't get it. :eek:

I also don't understand, why another ship of the same cruise line (NCL Dream), didn't go out of their way to help these paxs out. They could have verified cabin numbers, identification, etc. and helped to make arrangements for these people to, at least, get to their port of embarkation ! :(

The missing personal property? Am I to assume that if and when the cruiseline sends someone to my cabin, an officer or steward, to pack my bags for me, that they are going to steal me blind ? Must be my age, I just don't get it ! ! :confused:

I don't think that is the "connection" that the insurance policy refers to. I believe it refers to a connecting flight on a leg of an itinerary. Missing the sailing time of the ship you are on while visiting a port would be a grey area.

Has anyone ever been on a cruise where the ship changes the time to reflect local time? I never have.

Not to defend their actions because I do agree that they are responsible for their own misfortune, I do think that the NCL Dream could have helped them a little more.

This scenario makes a good argument for getting a passport AND taking it with you off the ship. While all of us think we would never miss a ship, unforeseen circumstances do arise. Medical issues while in port, unexpected traffic, bad taxi drivers, etc. If they had their passports the story would not have been as bad.

Stupidity is rarely a "covered event" on travel insurance policies.

tef...stupidity is basically why we have to have any insurance, whether it is our own, or someone else's stupidity...that's what always gets us people in trouble!!!

Most accidents of any kind are caused by stupidity..your auto and home owners cover accidents caused by stupidity all the time!! :D

My signature below is why insurance companies do so well.........

tef...stupidity is basically why we have to have any insurance, whether it is our own, or someone else's stupidity...that's what always gets us people in trouble!!!

Most accidents of any kind are caused by stupidity..your auto and home owners cover accidents caused by stupidity all the time!! :D

My signature below is why insurance companies do so well.........

Ok, let me rephrase:

Contributory negligence is rarely a covered event. :p

Ok, let me rephrase:

Contributory negligence is rarely a covered event. :p

ok--ok!! :p

I don't know much about that kind of coverage...wouldn't the insurance have covered at least some of their added expenses???

Does anyone know if there are policies out there that DO cover 'contributory negligence'? ;) I, for one, know that although I am very anal about getting back to the ship on time, I have been known to be totally brain-dead on occasion and not above really screwing something up!! :D

Has anyone ever been on a cruise where the ship changes the time to reflect local time? I never have.

YES!!!

When you cross the actual time zone lines, you will change your clocks. I changed twice sailing from LA to Mazatlan (SP?), which actually covers two time zone changes, to the obvious; a cruise from Ensenada to Hawaii (I forget how many that was).

Its funny you say that Zeno because when I sailed on the Sun, they kept Miami (ship)time. We went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico (2 ports).

I personally had to ask and get clarification because the announcements couldn't be heard in our stateroom and I'm half deaf as it is anyway (rock concerts, loud car stereo and sound teching for a band does that to you!) They didn't make much notice of it when I was on board to the point where it was obvious but me being a worry-wort asked the cruise director and the excursion manager anyway (always get someone to corroporate your answer!)

Unless you are in a place where you can actually picture spending the night, people should always plan on getting to the ship at least an hour before it is ready to set sail, OR go on a ship sponsored excursion. We were late getting back to the pier in Grand Cayman, luckilly we were on a Carnival excursion, but had we been on our own, we would have made sure to get back in time.

"I know it was stupid on their part but it's not like any of us has never done anything stupid before

Sometimes being away...especially if you are cruising...makes something happen to your brain. I think inhaling the smell of the ocean melts your brain actually...that's what makes vacation time so good...you are spending (if you are lucky) most of the time, out of your mind...literally."

I can certainly understand (and even to a certain degree sympathize) with them for missing the ship.... BUT to have the nerve to come to a cruise-related bulletin-board and complain about how it was everyone ELSES FAULT????????????

Archived