Changing Ships Outside of Final Payment

Camlott

Did a search on this and could only find posts that were a few years old.

I am still outside my final payment date and am considering changing ships. I found a coveted cabin on another ship for less than what I am paying now.

I'm pretty sure this is possible since I know I can still cancel the cruise, just wanted to make sure of any policy changes etc.

Now... I have to figure out how to convince American Airlines to let me buy a more expensive ticket without charging me an additional $300 in change fees!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: (Anyone know if that's possible either?) Otherwise this is going to be a tough sell on the boss. :D

I am still outside my final payment date and am considering changing ships. I found a coveted cabin on another ship for less than what I am paying now.

I'm pretty sure this is possible since I know I can still cancel the cruise, just wanted to make sure of any policy changes etc.

Now... I have to figure out how to convince American Airlines to let me buy a more expensive ticket without charging me an additional $300 in change fees!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: (Anyone know if that's possible either?) Otherwise this is going to be a tough sell on the boss. :D

As long as you are still outside of final payment, you can always cancel your cruise without penalty. You can then book another which is more to your liking.

As long as you are still outside of final payment, you can always cancel your cruise without penalty. You can then book another which is more to your liking.

Do not cancel your initial cruise reservation simply transfer the original reservation to the new ship. If you have any perks from RCI such as reduced deposit, OBC, etc on the original reservation and you cancel you will loose the incentives. If you transfer the reservation to another ship the incentives transfer also.

Do not cancel your initial cruise reservation simply transfer the original reservation to the new ship. If you have any perks from RCI such as reduced deposit, OBC, etc on the original reservation and you cancel you will loose the incentives. If you transfer the reservation to another ship the incentives transfer also.

Most of those things are from Wow sales which can't be transferred.

Assuming you have the deposit money, you can always book both cruises. Then, work on the airline. If you get a good airline deal -- if the airline does not charge you an arm and a leg -- then cancel the first cruise. Otherwise, cancel the new cruise. Of course, you have to cancel before final payment date. Now, this is not transferring your old cruise to the new cruise. This is booking it brand new. So you would lose any onboard ship credits from the first cruise should you take the new cruise.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hadn't even considered just doing a separate booking to secure the room, then working with the airline. We don't have and OBC or other perks, so we wouldn't lose anything by doing this.

Seems like a lost cause though to get American to waive or even reduce the change fees after the research I have been doing this morning. :mad:

This is true. I just did it yesterday. Booked Freedom during the WOW sale and switched to Oasis. I lost my OBC and had to pay more on the down payment.

Good news is that we're on Oasis for only $285 more!! :D

Most of those things are from Wow sales which can't be transferred.

I tried transferring a reservation today. Two reps told me that I could keep my onboard booking credit ($100) but I could not transfer the 2-category balcony upgrade (it was a shipboard promotion). Is this correct?

I tried transferring a reservation today. Two reps told me that I could keep my onboard booking credit ($100) but I could not transfer the 2-category balcony upgrade (it was a shipboard promotion). Is this correct?

I also had that happen. I did loose the cat. upgrade but kept the OBC and the deposit amount did not change.

EDIT...I just checked one of the reservations I transfered and guess what? It looks like they did not transfer the OBC to the new sail date. I will give them a call and try to verify.

Double edit...Seems the one that I kept the same sail date and only changed cabin cats on still has the OBC.

I also had that happen. I did loose the cat. upgrade but kept the OBC and the deposit amount did not change.

EDIT...I just checked one of the reservations I transfered and guess what? It looks like they did not transfer the OBC to the new sail date. I will give them a call and try to verify.

Double edit...Seems the one that I kept the same sail date and only changed cabin cats on still has the OBC.

I was changing ship and sail dates. They told me I could keep the obc or get the balcony discount (same amount), but lose the balcony upgrade. I am surprised they won't transfer both as it wasn't a WOW or a ship-specific promotion.

you MIGHT be able to get the airline to not charge you since you are buying a more expensive ticket...BUT i wouldn't count on it.....you never know. i had to change a ticket on delta 3 times, but i only wound up paying ONE change fee...for some reason, the 1st rep noted something in the reservation to please not charge the change fee again....:confused::p

Doesn't hurt to ask...but again, i wouldn't count on it..........

Archived