Rhine or Elbe river cruise?

genetii

Has anyone taken the Viking Elegant Elbe cruise? I am trying to decide between it and a Rhine, Main, Moselle cruise. I have had 2 cruises with Avalon (Globus) and 2 with Uniworld. I definitely prefer Uniworld. Could anyone who has traveled with both Viking and Uniworld give me their comparison of them? Thanks. Genetii

I have only take the 4 hour Rhine cruise from Rudsheim, but I lived in Germany for four years, and have seen every major historical site and city worth visiting in Southern Germany, and many in the North.

I my opinon, you need to evaluate the cities that you would be visiting. Check out some guide books for what these cities offer. Many great cities in Germany are on or close to the Rhine or Elbe, but not all. Cologne is worth seeing mainly for its cathedral. A Rhine cruise that includes Amsterdam would be great. Frankfurt is not really that great a tourist stop. Hamberg is on the Elbe, and interesting, but there is much to see in Southern Germany that you will not see on a river cruise. Munich, Garmisch, Rothenberg on the Taber, Dinkelsbuhel (the romantic road), Salzberg, Austria, are special. Also, Strausberg, France. You might catch Berlin on the Elbe cruise, which would be special.

Genetii, the Elbe River cruise starts in Berlin (Potsdam) and ends in the Czech Republic near Prague. It is extremely rich in history of WWII and the "Cold War" stopping in such cities as Dresden whose magnificence and history will leave you breathless. This itinerary is very different from the castle-rich Rhine River or the storybook villages of the Moselle River. I would not recommend Elegant Elbe for first-time cruisers, but it is one of the most memorable trips I ever took. Steve

When we took our Ebe trip, we had already been on a few other river crises. Like Steve, we really liked our trip on the Elbe. Viking is the only line cruising the Elbe, so no comparing to do. The boat is smaler, so can spoil you when you go on those new 190+ pax boats that Viking now builds. If you want to do the Rhine there are companies with smaller boats around 150 pax. Good luck. River cruising is addicting. Pat

We have signed up to go in 2011. Will do the pre-trip of a few days in Poland (Krakow and Warsaw) and then spend a couple of days in Prague before we board the ship. The actual cruise itself starts with the two days in Prague, then the cruise, and ends with two days in Hamburg (or the reverse). It does include a day in Berlin, Dresden, Wittenberg, Schwerin. Only a 7 day cruise. GCT has bought a ship and is re-furbishing it to a 90 passenger ship and will use it as the River Allegro on the Elbe. I think it is on the GCT website now. I have not been back to Berlin since the Wall came down and DH has never been so we are really looking forward to our time there. DH has never been to Poland or East Germany, he is in for a real "treat".

Thanks everyone for the information on the Elbe cruise. The itinerary is what interests me but I have never taken Viking before and would still like some sort of comparison between them, Avalon and Uniworld from someone with firsthand experience.

Viking is fine. We were very comfortable on the Clara Schumann and the staff was great. I think we tend to worry too much about cruise lines. You can have a great or lousy trip on any of them. If you have the right attitude, a great itinerary (such as the Elbe), and some flexibility, you will have a meaningful and comfortable trip on any cruise line. However, since you asked, I can vouch for Viking, at least on the Elegant Elbe trip.

Archived