What about the Coral Cuts?

pacaduli

I am going to expect to get scraped by coral, so how is a coral cut/scrape treated? Dos the PG offer first aide for this, or should passengers pack their own little kit?

Any ideas how likely a coral cut is to get infected?

~~Carol

I dove 4 times, we snorkeled for hours on end before the cruise during our 5 days in Moorea and we snorkeled on a number of excursions without any coral cuts. One of our divers did rub up against something, probably a jellyfish, and she had some interesting hives develop on her leg. They were quickly treated with a good was and then vinegar. The dive team is very experienced in these minor "injuries".

We were told that the drift snorkel can be quite challenging and many who had done this before spread the word that they would not advise doing this.

• 4 weeks later...

We were told that the drift snorkel can be quite challenging and many who had done this before spread the word that they would not advise doing this.

Here is an excerpt from our Tahiti 2009 trip story:

Before going to this private island, we took another drift snorkeling excursion. Again, the emphasis was the word “drift”. The description in the literature is as follows: “You will disembark the boat for a walk across a small uninhabited islet. After reaching the other side, you will commence your snorkeling session. The guide will lead you as the current carries you through the shallow lagoon on the way back to the boat”.

Well, that was the way it was supposed to be. As the water was forced between the two islets, it picked up speed! It was like being shot out of a fire hose! There was a main channel that was mostly free of coral, and some narrower side channels.

I missed the instruction to kick hard and get to the main channel, so I had to negotiate one of the side channels filled with coral. We were moving so fast that taking pictures of anything was out of the question. I managed to negotiate the channel with some minor coral rash, which got treated later on the island. Kathy was in the main channel, but still had to dodge through the gaps in the coral. Finally, she rolled over on her back (she floats like a cork), and let the current carry her back to the boat.

When we got back to the boat, our guide commented that it was the swiftest he had seen the water run in the 10 years he had been doing the tour-Thanks a lot!

Kathy's comments: "Drift Snorkeling.... now doesn't that sound placid and serene? Wrong. For those of us old enough to remember "E ticket" rides, this was it, or a better description might be...white water rafting without the benefit of a boat or paddles. Looking at fish was out of the question because both of us were traveling much too fast, and the fish had the agility I lacked in avoiding the coral with hair splitting decisions. With our senior citizen status, I'm proud we did this and lived to tell the tale....would I ever do it again? Not a chance.

Several years ago, we went snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. We were very cautious about not touching any coral. After a wonderful time in the ocean, my DH returned to the vessel & was surprised to see that his shin was very scraped & bloody. Apparently he felt no pain & didn't even know that he had grazed coral. The staff on-board cleaned him up with antiseptic (which did sting) and he was good to go. But the scrapes & cuts took quite a long time to heal completely.

We've also done drift snorkeling on Belize. The coral garden was very shallow & it was virtually impossible to avoid being swept into coral beds. We both got minor scrapes as we tried to navigate thru it. We'll probably pass on any drift snorkels in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many types of coral and it's best to avoid contact with any of it. Snorkelers are less likely to encounter fire coral but if you do you will know it. Having said that, if you notice abrasions from coral you should wash it and, as was mentioned, apply vinegar. Coral dies when touched, or so they say, and to keep the reefs healthy you should look, photograph and enjoy! Divers should perfect their buoyancy skills so as to not go crashing into coral as I saw them doing in May on the Jean Michele Cousteau resort dive from the Paul Gauguin.

I've never been cut or grazed. Drift snorkeling or snorkeling over coral heads you have to be careful, and yes, the coral is very delicate and you must not touch it. For those who are concerned about this there are rash guard suits that you can buy. As for feet, wear reef shoes (water socks) and you'll be fine.

Yes, drift snorkeling can be hazardous to your health. On our PG drift snorkel excursion about five years ago, we were placed in the water from a boat in a fairly deep water channel, so it was only a matter of avoiding a few mounds of coral that were nearer to the surface. However, the flow was swift, so this did take some doing.

And for any type of snorkeling, stay out of the shallows. Those of us with limited water sports experience have intuition that tells us "shallower is safer" Not true when there is coral on the bottom! Even the wave action (where there is no channel flow) can do a bad job on your skin in shallow water with coral.

IMO, Those engaging in drift snorkeling should NEVER be put off the boat into shallow and fast-moving water.

Archived