Please tell me I'm imagining this...laptop cords???

OceanSea

I could have sworn that I read on here that laptop cords were now being confiscated upon boarding? That can't be correct can it?

Yes, you are imagining this! I have never seen such a post. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist though.

When you use your laptop on the ship how much is the charge?

Off topic, but why would they charge you to use your laptop??? I understand a charge to use the internet, but to use your laptop, I don't think there is a charge for that or any way to implement it. I'm pretty sure it's still free to use your laptop.

Now taking your laptop cord? That's just crazy! Are they worried about some kind of wiring short? Fire hazard? If you can't bring a laptop cord, how about chargers for cell phones, cameras, etc?? My DH always brings his laptop and usually ends up getting a lot of programming done, he loves the lack of distraction. I think it's weird, but he loves to program, I guess it's like some of us reading a book for relaxation. If he couldn't recharge his laptop, he would be livid!

Sorry Izzy I wrote that wrong do you know how much they charge to use the internet on the boat?

Stay Connected At Sea...

Base rate is .55 per min. (their workstation or your laptop)

Pre-Paid Packages..

60 min. $28.00

90 min. $38.00

150 min. $55.00

Sorry Izzy I wrote that wrong do you know how much they charge to use the internet on the boat?

There actually is no charge to use the internet on the boat....if you're on the (life) boat, you won't be able to use your laptop ....lol:D Now if ya want to use it on the ship, those rates were already posted :) :p

oh...and getting back to the original question.....that would be absurd to do that. They would have so many pi$$%^ off people it would be amazing. Plus if I remember right, it says on their website about bringing your own laptop

Stay Connected At Sea...

Base rate is .55 per min. (their workstation or your laptop)

Pre-Paid Packages..

60 min. $28.00

90 min. $38.00

150 min. $55.00

I thought I read recently that they upped the charges from these.

On my last RC cruise in the spring, I was told that RC was considering lowering the cost, and giving diamond level(maybe others) people more minutes for free. He said the discussion, was, that the internet is now not considered a luxury, but a necessity for many people.

As slow as the sat internet service is, 60 minutes does not go very far.

LOL, funny how this stuff gets started. It does appear that they are taking extensions with multiple plugs but taking a laptop cord would be impossible. I would never ride the ship if that was the case. Oh well.....

The confiscation of extension cords, particularly power bars type, is the only thing I've read about also. IMO they don't want you to plug in too many items into one power outlet which would be more of a problem with heating type appliances like hair irons and dryers than with electronic equipment power supplies. I never bother with bringing a power bar but since I am from Canada I do bring a North American to European plug adapter, shown below which is not a voltage converter or transformer, in order to able to use the 220V power outlet in addition to the 115V NA type outlets as all of my cameras/laptop power supplies have variable input voltage (up to 240V) capability.

DSC02922.jpg

Must have been a dream. (nightmare)

I carry a whole bag of cords. Netbook power cord, sometimes external DVD drive ( has cords) , two different phone charger cords, cord to charge the camera/transfer photos to the netbook.

NEVER any issues.

Never brought any type of extension cord as I never needed to plug more than one item on at time.

M

We're just off the Grandeur yesterday, and we carried laptop, ipod, phone, fan, etc. cords, and none were confiscated. In fact, in the Royal Family Suite in the back of the ship, we found that the flat screen tv in the living room was plugged into a portable multi-outlet power strip that sat on the counter, not the wall outlet. Also, internet minutes were .65 per minute, unless you got a package or used your loyalty coupons. I always keep an extension cord in my suitcase when I travel, just in case I need it. It's never been confiscated on Royal Caribbean.

I thought I read recently that they upped the charges from these.

I was just on the Jewel Baltics Aug 11-23 and these were the rates that were listed in their brochure "Stay Connected At Sea" and these were what we paid...Just remember if you have any trouble with the Internet (other than the speed at times) Guest Relations will very easily credit it back to your Seapass account as they did with us twice...as long as you go there immediately after it happens... Their brochures stated .55 cents still and that's what I insisted they charge me..they did...until they update them all you have to do is point it out and ask....

A couple months ago I saw a post where a person had their surge/power bar confiscated. Then he posted a pic of it and I wasn't surprised, he took a huge metal bar with about 8 outlets, the thing had to have weighed 5 lbs.

A power supply with 3 outlets for charging phones, Ipods, computers...OK. If you were to load up one of those huge power bars, yours and the surrounding cabins would possibly suffer a power outage.

My travel hair dryer has a protective shut off feature so it won't cause a short circuit, it only lasts about 5-10 minutes before shutting down. I can only imagine what a blow dryer, flat iron, fan plus other electronics would do.

Archived