Seasickness Medication for Children

Bound4Bermuda

Just wondering what's safe to give children for seasickness. My 11 and 14 year olds could probably take Dramamine (or other "adult" medications) if the wristbands don't work, but is there anything safe to give to a 2 1/2 year old?

This question needs to go to your kid's doctor.

Kids generally don't get seasick...they're used to riding backwards in car seats....being bounced around. It takes a long time for the brain to get wired to expect stability. Kids are just naturally accustomed to being moved all the time.

If you do decide to get medication, check with your doctor. You may need to get a suppository, since once seasickness sets in, oral medications will no longer work....the stomach does not allow them to pass into the intestines where they can be absorbed when you're queasy.

Just wondering what's safe to give children for seasickness. My 11 and 14 year olds could probably take Dramamine (or other "adult" medications) if the wristbands don't work, but is there anything safe to give to a 2 1/2 year old?

Don't you have a family doctor? This is a medical question, not a cruise question.

We wondered the same thing when we took our son on his first cruise and he was just shy of his 13th birthday. Ginger pills worked great on me and his pediatrician said they would be fine for him. We used them the first day but as another poster said he did fine with the motion and never needed anymore after the first day. It just left more ginger pills for me :D

Archived