Many, many questions about Zaandam & 14-day Circle Hawaii!

NCTribeFan

You will get an e-mail from HAL when it is time to print our your documents -- 50 days before the cruise.

Right now there is a separate area where you can print out your luggage tags.

You have the choice of printing out all the pages (I don't) that contain all contract information or just printing out the first page. When we checked in at the pier -- the person in charge of our line didn't even ask to see that page. Just wanted our passports.

You will get an e-mail from HAL when it is time to print our your documents -- 50 days before the cruise.

That may be the way it is supposed to work, but I never received the email for my cruise. I just finally went into my account and noticed I could print out the documents.

I used to take a dress for each night, simple because DD & I find "dressing" for dinner to be one of the fun things related to cruising.

How about clothing during the day while at sea? If it is cool when we leave San Diego, is anyone going to have a problem if I wear jeans around the ship? I don't have a "resort casual" wardrobe. I have work clothes (mostly pantsuits), and I have jeans. I don't own khakis or Alfred Dunner matching pants and print tops. Don't mean to offend those ladies who wear those clothes, but I don't dress like my mother did when she was nearing 60! I'm too much a child of the 60s, I guess! ;)

I found it cold even in the carribean when out to sea so I am sure that the Pacific to Hawaii will be cold. I am planning on bringing a couple of pairs of jeans and long sleeve tops for the sea days.

Does HAL tend to keep the interior of their ships freezing cold? I hate being cold and it makes me nuts how in the middle of the summer, when you're wearing as little and as cool clothing as possible, businesses and restaurants have the AC absolutely blasting. No, I don't want to be hot, but I shouldn't have to wear a sweatshirt inside. I now take a nice black sweater but would rather not have to wear it 24/7.

Yes .... I always bring a sweater or wrap because it is chilly. Especially in the theater or showroom.

Guess no one wants to comment on my "tip" question about Pinnacle. Yes, it's subjective and no, I'm not really being nosey (don't really care how much money other folks have or spend); just trying to get some guidance.

You do not have to tip in the Pinnacle - the tip is included in the price but some people do (we did not). And we only went to the Pinnacle once, we will not return again. Did not think it was worth the extra $$$.

You do not have to tip in the Pinnacle - the tip is included in the price but some people do (we did not). [/color]

The Pinnacle tip is not included in the price. However' date=' it [u']is included[/u] in the $11 per person, per day Hotel Service Charge.

So, your conclusion that you don't have to tip in the Pinnacle is correct, but for the wrong reason. Many people do tip extra, though.

That may be the way it is supposed to work, but I never received the email for my cruise. I just finally went into my account and noticed I could print out the documents.

Since they started this new way of notifing people -- we have been getting the e-mails -- also our TA gets them at the same time.

You should really call HAL and ask why you didn't get the e-mail reminder.

You do not have to tip in the Pinnacle - the tip is included in the price but some people do (we did not). And we only went to the Pinnacle once, we will not return again. Did not think it was worth the extra $$$.

I am not certain where you got that information that the tip for the Pinnacle is included in the price of the -- it is not. The staff working in the Pinnacle get their tips from the $11 per day per person Hotel Service Charge -- which for them is not much once the $3.50 is taken out for the cabin Stewards and another $3.50 is taken out for the dining staff leaving $4 to be divided among all the Pinnacle staff, kitchen staff, laundry staff, and many others who work behind the scenes on the ship.

We do tip the Pinnacle staff at the end of each dinner -- that is just us.

The discussions on the Carnival board are always whether the charge for the specialty restaurant is actually the tip or if it is for the "better" food choices. It never occurred to me that the servers there would be covered under the "others" portion of the standard gratuity (those other than your cabin steward and MDR waitstaff).

I ate in the steakhouse on Glory ($30 pp) and had a great meal, but, honestly? I'm fine with the dinners in the MDR. I don't necessarily feel compelled to spend even more to have even fancier, richer foods! Still, since this is my 1st on HAL, I will probably give it a try.

I'm already concerned about packing for such a long cruise, but the thought that the ship will be cold plus the weather near the coast could be cool really has me concerned about how I'm ever going to get the right mix of clothing. At least I've booked on Southwest so don't have to worry about paying for bags! I guess I can take two cases if I really decide I need both warm and cool-weather clothing. :o

And if people want to look down their noses at me for wearing jeans around the ship, then that's their problem, not mine. After all, I'm just one of those WalMart-shopping Carnival cruisers, after all! :p

NCT, anyone can use the gym without a fee and I believe the co-ed sauna exists without a fee.
Yes, indeed the gym is free except for specialty classes which have a nominal fee. The FREE saunas are not co-ed. There is one for ladies and a separate one for gentlemen.

And if people want to look down their noses at me for wearing jeans around the ship, then that's their problem, not mine. After all, I'm just one of those WalMart-shopping Carnival cruisers, after all! :p

People on HAL wear jeans and shop at WalMart. Shocking, isn't it?;)

Getting ready to depart on a 15-day Vancouver-Hawaii-San Diego itinerary in just under three weeks. Promise to come back and answer questions if I can.

I am not certain where you got that information that the tip for the Pinnacle is included in the price of the -- it is not. The staff working in the Pinnacle get their tips from the $11 per day per person Hotel Service Charge -- which for them is not much once the $3.50 is taken out for the cabin Stewards and another $3.50 is taken out for the dining staff leaving $4 to be divided among all the Pinnacle staff, kitchen staff, laundry staff, and many others who work behind the scenes on the ship.

We do tip the Pinnacle staff at the end of each dinner -- that is just us.

Well ..... since this is the case, then I may have to adjust our tips on our upcoming cruise. :eek: Heaven forbid ----- we have NEVER done this before but why should part of our tips go to people that we don't even see. We do not eat in the main dining room or pinnacle. We usually do not attend the shows in the main theater. We help ourselves in the Lido and are not ones to demand extra service from anyone on the ship. I know this will open up a can of worms but I just don't see the auto tips going to specialty restaurant staff that we do not use. Probably to the spa services too??

Well ..... since this is the case, then I may have to adjust our tips on our upcoming cruise. :eek: Heaven forbid ----- we have NEVER done this before but why should part of our tips go to people that we don't even see. We do not eat in the main dining room or pinnacle. We usually do not attend the shows in the main theater. We help ourselves in the Lido and are not ones to demand extra service from anyone on the ship. I know this will open up a can of worms but I just don't see the auto tips going to specialty restaurant staff that we do not use. Probably to the spa services too??

How do plan on "adjusting" the Hotel Service Charge? by lowering it? If so, those you do want to get theirs will just get less than they would have. If you cancel the HSC and then "tip" those you wish to, they will have to report and pool it anyways so either way they lose. Or I suppose you could not tip at all.

I didn't mean to open up a can of worms. We are always good tippers for good service!!

It's not that I don't want to tip but your tips should go to the people who "serve" you. We usually give extra to our stateroom attendant and assistant and we have always left the auto tips on our account for the Lido staff (who are great by the way) and the other behind the scenes people.

We are not demanding people (believe you me, I have seen my share of demanding guests on HAL. Some down right rude.) Most of the time we wait on ourselves except for an occasional refill of coffee, tea, etc in the Lido.

I tried to find the breakdown on the HAL website as to how the tips are appropriated but couldn't find it. I did find it on the Celebrity website (not that I have ever cruised on Celebrity) but they are showing $3.65 per day to waiter $2.10 per day to asst. waiter, $1.00 per day to DR Mgmt. Only $3.50 goes to the stateroom attendant. They didn't list any for Specialty Restaurants but it could be included under the $1.?? for others. I can see where MOST people love the MDR thing but we DO NOT and haven't used the MDR since our first cruise. So I do not see having half of our tips go to the MDR staff!!

I just never had any idea that the Pinnacle personnel would benefit from our tips (gratuity) when it is a specialty (paid for) venue. That is just not right, in my opinion. What about Spa services?? Do they get part of the tip too??

I am going to call customer service tomorrow and try to get a breakdown, if possible, as to how the tips are allocated.

We HAVE cruised on RCI and we did like the envelope system where you can give cash tips to your servers, room attendant, etc.

I know it sounds awful to say this, but I really have no interest in going to Pearl Harbor. I have no relations who were in the Pacific during the war, so no personal connection and I'm not a war buff in any way. However, I do enjoy touring old forts like those in old San Juan and the one in St Kitts.

if you know it sounds awful to say why say it? You need not be a war buff or have personal relations of our brave men and woman who gave their lives so we may enjoy our freedom..in my opinion to get something from this..this is a deeply personal tribute to many folks and it is your freedom of choice that allows you to bypass this given to you by the still buried heroes...

Yes, please, let's not turn this into a tipping thread!

I just wanted to see if everyone felt that a tip is standard practice for the specialty restaurants.

My comment about Pearl Harbor was that everyone just seems to assume that everyone else actually wants to go there. So, when I'm asking about excursions, I wanted to explain that I wasn't interested.

Yes, nice tribute. But I have no desire to see it.

middle-aged mom: looking forward to hearing your comments when you return! Bon voyage!

I know this is still a little off topic but....I went to Oahu 3 times before I went to see the Pearl Harbor memorial....didn't feel the "need" either....and only went because the friends I was with were raised in a military household....but once I did, I was amazed how it touched me and I "had" to go again on another trip.....just sayin....

I know this is still a little off topic but....I went to Oahu 3 times before I went to see the Pearl Harbor memorial....didn't feel the "need" either....and only went because the friends I was with were raised in a military household....but once I did, I was amazed how it touched me and I "had" to go again on another trip.....just sayin....

I may be wrong, but my guess is that those who have no interest in Pearl Harbor, just were never made aware from their teachers, parents, grandparents, etc. the significance of Pearl Harbor. I did not grow up in a military family, but it was drilled into me from the time I was a young child how forunate I was to live in a country with the freedoms I had. I was alway told that our military fought for those freedoms and I needed to be eternally grateful to them for it. I guess that is why I felt I had to go to Pearl Harbor on my trip to Hawaii.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that those who have no interest in Pearl Harbor, just were never made aware from their teachers, parents, grandparents, etc. the significance of Pearl Harbor. I did not grow up in a military family, but it was drilled into me from the time I was a young child how forunate I was to live in a country with the freedoms I had. I was alway told that our military fought for those freedoms and I needed to be eternally grateful to them for it. I guess that is why I felt I had to go to Pearl Harbor on my trip to Hawaii.

Yup, and now I completely understand and wish that I had visited the Memorial on every visit!

I grew up in a military family, and DH is a VN vet, yet in the beginning, I didn't care one way or another to see PH.

I was dreading the crowds, and it was hot, but we did go (on a ship's tour). I was glad that I did.

My Dad was a 19 yr old sailor at Pearl Harbor. He was not on his ship, but in a hangar that day. He also did dive recovery from the Oklahoma.

Seeing it in person just made the history lesson real. But, if you're not an American or whatever, I can understand why someone would pass on this tour.

Everyone is different. All the islands have alot to offer.

I just thought of a tour we liked~~~the Tsunami musuem in Hilo. Just another option.

Pat

Archived