Should I Have Any Concerns...

jwineeng

Honestly, I think that only you can answer that for yourself. I am as liberal as they come, but I don't like cruising with ANY large groups. With this group in particular, I have read where they kind of "take over" the Terrace pool area as their own, and it would irritate me if I was sailing with any group and that happened, as that is a favorite spot of ours.

Honestly, I think that only you can answer that for yourself. I am as liberal as they come, but I don't like cruising with ANY large groups. With this group in particular, I have read where they kind of "take over" the Terrace pool area as their own, and it would irritate me if I was sailing with any group and that happened, as that is a favorite spot of ours.

I tend to agree. I have been on cruises with large groups (sales people) and they took over certain parts of the ship and then those areas were not accessible to others. Anytime a large group is on a ship, I think it lessens the experience for other cruisers, regardless of the group.

Hi There,

Having cruise with large groups, of non english speaking cruisers, the whole feeling changed,

I would expect the same feeling with a bear group,

in that they will take over an area, you do not fit in, so land up moving away,

if I was you I would look at my cruise, are there lots of sea days,

do I have an inside cabin, is it a short cruise or a long cruise,

I think the fact you are asking means you might be happier on another cruise.

yours Shogun

My son has been on them and has a blast but he says the do some serious partying and can be wild. If you are straight, you would have to go with an open mind and prepare to see anything. I am straight but personally I wouldn't have a problem. I might suggest that you post on the Gay Board, you would probably get a more accurate feedback. You are the only one that can make that decision.

I have to agree with you 100%. We were on a "Bear" cruise awhile back and the only thing that bothered most of the people in our group was the fact of them "taking over" different areas of the ship. The Terrace pool (as you mentioned) was one, the other was the closing down of Skywalkers one night to the general public. It was what they called their "private party", but there was never any mention of this in the Patter or any where else. Even the crew at the different bars didn't know anything because when it was closing time for them, they were sending all there customers up to Skywalkers to continue the Night Life only to be turned away.

When a friend of mine found out the cruise she was planning had a large group of transvestites on board that planned on partying hardy, she quickly changed her plans and booked another ship. Large groups can overrun the ship and cause certain areas to be closed to other passengers. And it could be more rowdy than you like. I would change to another ship.

I have to agree with you 100%. We were on a "Bear" cruise awhile back and the only thing that bothered most of the people in our group was the fact of them "taking over" different areas of the ship. The Terrace pool (as you mentioned) was one, the other was the closing down of Skywalkers one night to the general public. It was what they called their "private party", but there was never any mention of this in the Patter or any where else. Even the crew at the different bars didn't know anything because when it was closing time for them, they were sending all there customers up to Skywalkers to continue the Night Life only to be turned away.

Yes Joe!! Do you remember the g string swimming suits that never should have been?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

We found out that a large group of "Bears" were on the CB when we sailed two years ago. Found out when we were in line to board. They did take over the Terrace Pool. We felt that we would like to avoid ever sailing with them again.

How do you find out if a "large group" is going on your cruise?

You can try googling your cruiseship and date and see what comes up. Also do a search here on CC and other cruising sites.

We have been on some ships with large groups (a World Tourney of Bingo -- that we would love to avoid from now on) and others (some sort of cardio technology, but that was on the Sapphire, which was large enough that probably most passengers weren't aware of that group -- and those we'd run into were nice people).

There's undoubtedly groups on every cruise, family reunions, wedding parties, that sort of thing. It's when a group gets to take over parts of the ship such as pools or lounges so that you as a non-member of that group notice, that's when it's problematic.

I think any cruise has its fair share of big guys with dodgy facial hair:) Expect you will find that they are exceptionally polite and well mannered guys, who prefer the chilled out nature of travelling on a 'straight' cruise than a full on gay effort. Bound to meet up in certain areas, but I very much doubt they will be intimidating...expect if you start talking to them you'll find out they have a responsible job, phone their mum at least once a week, and many will have been with their partner for many years living an equally boring life as everyone else!

A partial list of groups on cruise ships may be found at http://shoretrips.com/common/groups2.asp?grpsrch=GRPNAM

However, it is definitely not a complete list.

interesting site!

I found out that we have the Parrot Lovers on our 11/7 cruise. Should be interesting. Actually, I contacted them to see if I could sit in on one of their lectures...they said no. :(

Yes Joe!! Do you remember the g string swimming suits that never should have been?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks a lot Keith...... I was trying to get through this thread without a visual reminder in my head of what we had to endure that week!:D:eek:.... You owe me one now ! ! ! ? !

On our first cruise, my husband (who has to be in the mood to dance) danced with me every day in all venues. On our second cruise, I was expecting same, but there was a large dance group on board. Since they were dancing in all venues every day, I never got my DH out on the dance floor:(

Another cruise was mah jongg; all the tables in the pool area were taken all the time by them.

Last cruise had a movie group on board for the first week; MUTS was louder than usual and you could hardly walk through the area (much less use the pool) because the chairs were set up (and filled) for movie watching all day long.

And yet I keep forgetting to check to see if there is a large group on board. Too late for me to do anything about it for our next cruise--I'm almost afraid to look:eek:

I think any cruise has its fair share of big guys with dodgy facial hair:) Expect you will find that they are exceptionally polite and well mannered guys, who prefer the chilled out nature of travelling on a 'straight' cruise than a full on gay effort. Bound to meet up in certain areas, but I very much doubt they will be intimidating...expect if you start talking to them you'll find out they have a responsible job, phone their mum at least once a week, and many will have been with their partner for many years living an equally boring life as everyone else!

Believe me, there was no intimidation by any means. In fact, we drank and conjouled with quite of few of them during the cruise. Our/most peoples problems were with the fact that the rest of the passengers didn't have access to different public areas when the group decided that they want to party in one particular venue.

Believe me, there was no intimidation by any means. In fact, we drank and conjouled with quite of few of them during the cruise. Our/most peoples problems were with the fact that the rest of the passengers didn't have access to different public areas when the group decided that they want to party in one particular venue.

I agree, nobody was intimidated at all.

It was actually pretty amusing.

But there were certain areas that were taken over.

My only problem with large groups is the venues closed to everyone else. The dining rooms sometimes are affected as there's a lot of back and forth between the tables. Whether

the group is gay or not shouldn't be any more intrusive than the other groups. Nudists, now, that's another thing. There's often a charter of nothing but, which must be interesting.

On the other hand, we wound up on a cruise with a huge Harley group......it was fun, just

seeing the wild get ups. They were all friendly, had an exhibit of custom bikes on the

bottom deck which were gorgeous. They also raised money for dialysis, and brought some

dialysis patients with their nurses on the cruise as their treat. That group sailing was a

win win as far as we were concerned.

Any one been on a cruise with the Prime Timers. Check the web and found out that they will be on our TA cruise. Look at their web site and it said that they are sold out on this cruise. I wonder how many will be on aboard.

I just looked up their website (I had never heard of this group before) and it shows only the balcony cabins are sold out, there were still inside and outside cabins still available.

Good luck with this one. ;)

This thread is a great reminder to check periodically to see what groups might book your cruise. Last November my friend and I were booked on the Emerald and it happened to be a "bears" cruise so we switched to the Crown Princess. I prefer not having to worry about areas of the ship being taken over by any one group.

Archived