Getting to and from Car Rental Agency in Marseille

caroak

I have read that taxis are not very cooperative with a fare to a car rental agency in Marseille but would rather wait around for a day tour. Also, would it be problematic getting back to the ship after returning the car? Has anyone had an agency bring a car to the dock?

I have read that taxis are not very cooperative with a fare to a car rental agency in Marseille but would rather wait around for a day tour. Also, would it be problematic getting back to the ship after returning the car? Has anyone had an agency bring a car to the dock?

Which cruise berth???

Are you on a larger ship which normally berth at the Marseille Provence Cruise Center (MPCC) or on a smaller ship which berth direct close to the Old Port???

We were at MPCC and tried to contact some car rental companies but finally gave up as the infrastructure from there is too bad.

We were on Royal Caribbean and they offered a shuttle for 6 USD to the Old Port.

You can easily find there some car rentals.

With all the hick hack we decided to book a limo service who gave us a great tour in Marseille and around.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/marseille-france-private-tour-marseille.html

Regards

HeinBloed

We will be on an Oceania's Insignia which is a mid-size ship with just under 700 passengers but I'm not sure where it would berth. It doesn't look encouraging to rent a car in Marseille and the traffic sounds like it could be problematic so a private tour sounds like a good idea although our preference is to travel on our own. Your blog was great and chuck full of useful information on so many places. Thanks.

We will be on an Oceania's Insignia which is a mid-size ship with just under 700 passengers but I'm not sure where it would berth. It doesn't look encouraging to rent a car in Marseille and the traffic sounds like it could be problematic so a private tour sounds like a good idea although our preference is to travel on our own. Your blog was great and chuck full of useful information on so many places. Thanks.

Maybe I solve your problem...

INSIGNA has a length of 181 m.

Check this site of the Port Authorities of Marseille:

http://www.marseille-port.fr/voyageurs/croisieres/index.htm

The max. length is 200 m to berth at Terminal de la Joliette.

This place is connected by Metro to the St. Charles Station (just 2 stops...) and you find all major car rental locations there...

So check with Oceania if they berth at MPCC or at Terminal de la Joliette.

But if you dislike to drive yourself... the company we had did a great job...

Regards

HeinBloed

There is actually a local rental car office right inside the new port terminal. We do not recall the name of this company so perhaps somebody else can post that info. As I recall their prices were not cheap (around 90 Euros +) but the convenience might make it worthwhile. Previously, we have rented cars from whoever had the best rates and simply taken a taxi from the port (never had a problem getting a taxi).

Hank

We'll be on Oceania and I think we dock at the Old Port. How far away is the new terminal?

All the various docks are pretty much along a line within an area that cannot be more then a mile. But, what makes it complicated is that you cannot easily get out of some of the ports. When we were there on the Prinsendam (in May) we were one of the first ships to dock at the new terminal which was located well-within a huge port area. DW and I decided to walk to the train station (probably about 1 1/2 miles) but it was nearly 3/4 of a mile to just get out of the port. Not sure what qualifies as the "old port" anymore but we think that might be the port that was a little further towards the sea then our newer port. This would not make much difference except that anyone walking from port to the train station would have a longer walk in town, but perhaps a shorter distance to get out of the port. Its all so confusing.

Hank

The new terminal should be what is called MPCT (formerly MPCC) or the new Ferry Terminal for the Corse services.

If you are in the Old Port: you are directly in the City Center and just opposite of the Cathedrale.

http://www.marseille-port.fr/plans/plan_est.pdf

on the map to the right Gare Polyvalente de al Major (just adjustant to the Cathedrale).

If it is the New Ferry Terminal it's left at Nouvelle Gare Corse.

The MPCT is left of the map (Gare croisère MPCC).

I was checking the yellow pages which allows a search from an address:

if you like to try it yourself:

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

Car Rental in french: Locations de voiture

And you are in Marseille 13001 (1st district)

There you find a map with all the next car rental locations to the cruise terminal

INSIGNIA is listed twice for calls in Marseille:

Now in September 2010 and again in November 2010

You can try it later yourself: maybe you find under Location then a berth number:

https://webpam.marseille-port.fr/webgpmm/gererEscale.do

Choose INSIGNIA under "naivre".

Or contact the ship's agent what I am doing normally to find out where we are berthing:

OMM Monaco is handling agent: http://www.omm-monaco.com/

or the Port Authorities: http://www.marseille-port.fr/contacts.htm

Regards

HeinBloed

Hank and HeinBloed thanks for the info and tips. I guess I have my work cut out to figure this one out. I spoke to Auto Europe and they said to call back and they will try and get in touch with the local rental office to find out if they'll deliver a car but seemed to think they would not offer that service for a one day rental. I have to follow-up with them.

Unfortunately, Oceania does not offer shuttles that would at least get us out of the port and into the city. This is a big disappointment for us and makes our situation a lot more complicated then we anticipated.

Hank and HeinBloed thanks for the info and tips. I guess I have my work cut out to figure this one out. I spoke to Auto Europe and they said to call back and they will try and get in touch with the local rental office to find out if they'll deliver a car but seemed to think they would not offer that service for a one day rental. I have to follow-up with them.

Unfortunately, Oceania does not offer shuttles that would at least get us out of the port and into the city. This is a big disappointment for us and makes our situation a lot more complicated then we anticipated.

We have never seen any local office deliver to the port but you might want to call Enterprise's toll-free number and ask since that company will often deliver or do a pick-up anywhere. We have never tried this Enterprise strategy in Europe but it is on our personal back burner for a future trip. As to Autoeurope (we love this consolidator) we are impressed that they would even offer to help (they will contact Hertz and Europcar) because they normally want no part of anything less then a 3 day rental.

It is surprising that Oceana does not offer a shuttle into the old port part of town. In fact, we think that is troubling since this is a quality cruise line. This means they are simply going to try even harder to push their own excursions (usually overpriced and too darn crowded with large buses) and do not want to help their passengers who have their own ideas. However, there is certainly no reason why you can't grab a taxi to the St Charles area where there are quite a few rental car offices.

Hnak

If the ship will dock in the Old Port which is in the City Center:

why should they... would be the same like offering a shuttle from the cruise terminal to Fishermen's Wharf... you are in the heart of the city of Marseille.

If the ship will dock in at MPCT I am sure that a certain kind of shuttle will be provided as this is far away from the city center.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...
I was told by Oceania that our ship will dock at Poste 95 which, I believe, is at Terminal de la Joliette and closest to the city center. Does that sound accurate?

Poste 95 = Le Terminal de la Jolietee and it's not the closest to the City Center - it is in heart of the City Center!!!

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived