Clothes for snorkeling?

Sarahgraci

DH and I have a snorkeling excursion booked in St. Thomas later this month. Neither of us gets much sun at home, and I don't want to get fried! What do you recommend we wear in the water? I'd like to avoid buying lots of new one-time use things, but would like to know if it's possible to put together some things we already have to get decent sun protection. Of course, a high SPF waterproof sunscreen will be the first layer that day. Any suggestions?

Sunscreen! If you apply it properly, you won't need to wear clothes (at least, not more than a swimsuit!)...

Use AT LEAST a 30 SPF, apply 1/2 hour prior to going in the sun, use AT LEAST 1 ounce (a shotglass full) every 2 hours....more often, if you wipe off with a towel.

That will keep you from getting fried!

I just wear a large colored cotton T-shirt (same as I wear if swimming or beaching). Have a large brimmed hat like a Tilly hat with neck string (I have given at least two back to the sea.).

We bought snorkel vests that stabalize you in the water. Allows you to lay in the water watching the fishes with little effort. I wear the T-shirt under the vest. We have snorkeled in many wonderful places (Zanzibar, Australian Great Barrier Reef, Bora Bora Hawaii) and even though it is only every few years it is great having your own equipment. We also bought masks with our eyeglass RX that makes a major difference when snorkeling. {Fish just do not appreciate the Braille approach:eek:} When not in use the vests hang in closet and the masks in a zip beach bag. We do not carry flippers. Vests (deflated) and pipe go in suitcase and the face mask is in my carry-on so the 400 lb gorrilla does not smash.

I hope the fish show up for your excursion. My last time all I had to play with were a 3 legged turtle and an ugly lion fish who liked the feeding.

You really need a rash guard to protect your back. This is a great time to purchase them, as they are on sale right now. I saw a bunch on the Lands' End webpage. A pair of board shorts would also be good.

I second the rashguard. T-shirts don't have the built in sun protection that's in the rashguards and sunscreen wears off. I am a pale redhead and I never go diving or swimming without my rashguard on and I always use Banana Boat Kids SPF 50.

I also recommend the rashguard. We're all so fair we're practically albino, and we all wear them. Even my kids! Way easier than sunscreen and you don't have to reapply or worry about missing spots. Zappos.com has them on sale too. Free shipping.

Robin

Count me in on a dive skin (very similar to a rash guard). I'm really fair and ALWAYS burn regardless of what I have on unless it's my dive skin. The dive skin protects my back and the back of my legs--prime burn spots!

I also agree with the comment that it's nice to just slip it on and no sunscreen needed except for any exposed body parts. I also use mine when we dive as it also protects against jellyfish stings and coral stings and it just adds a touch of warmth while I'm diving.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_3059/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/BLRLM.html?Hit=1

Thanks for all your suggestions! We thought about rashguards before I posted, but really want to avoid buying them. We're only on a short snorkeling trip and will spend about 45 mins- 1 hr. in the water. My weight is all over the place right now (16 weeks pregnant), and I don't want to spend $ on something for such a short trip on something I might not use again for years (or ever, if the size is wrong). If push comes to shove, I might see if I can find them on super-clearance somewhere. Again, thanks for your ideas!

Thanks for all your suggestions! We thought about rashguards before I posted, but really want to avoid buying them. We're only on a short snorkeling trip and will spend about 45 mins- 1 hr. in the water. My weight is all over the place right now (16 weeks pregnant), and I don't want to spend $ on something for such a short trip on something I might not use again for years (or ever, if the size is wrong). If push comes to shove, I might see if I can find them on super-clearance somewhere. Again, thanks for your ideas!

Oh, didn't realize you are pregnant. Make sure you use plenty of sunscreen especially on the back of your legs and back. A possibility is maybe a pair of your husband's swim trunks (it will give your thighs some protection).

DH is a redhead and he always just wears an old Tshirt in the water. You want one that's a little snug so it doesn't flap around in the water. If you wear a bsuit not shorts be sure to sunscreen the high part of your legs just under your cheeks really well. It is not fun to burn there.

UV shirts, and 100 SPF sunblock. I know this very well from trial and error.

Since it is the end of the season, you can probably get a good deal on the UV shirt, I got mine for $4.99 on sale. They stretch so you can use them year after year. They are great in the water because they protect your back while you are snorkeling, and dry much quicker than a cotton t-shirt.

With the 100 SPF sunblock you won't have to keep reapplying it every few hours. Apply it before you go out on your excursion, DH and I apply it in our stateroom before putting on our bathing suits and UV shirts. I tend to use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, it does not shine, nor does it smell like sunblock. My DH likes the spray, he is hairy and it is easier to apply.

Have a great trip, snorkeling is our favorite excursion, and our children our greatest joy.

I have read somewhere that for snorkeling or even in the water you are supposed to use reef safe sunscreen but none of you even mentioned it so do I need a special kind or just a high spf bottle from walmart

We have purchased reef safe sunscreen for our snorkeling tours. I feel the protection to the environtment I am in is important and I have read that some areas/sites care more about it than others - and will therefore enforce its use.

Pro - it smells great, good for the environment, with reapplication it works fine

Cons - not a very high SPF (at least not that I could find: 25 vs 70), no "major" brand makes it so it is harder to find and more expensive

I have read somewhere that for snorkeling or even in the water you are supposed to use reef safe sunscreen but none of you even mentioned it so do I need a special kind or just a high spf bottle from walmart

I wear a full body dive skin and use Banana Boat Kids SPF 50 on my face, neck, and hands. The only place I have been to that requires reef safe sunscreen is Cozumel. I am more concerned with preventing skin cancer, so I use what works on me.

If you are really going to be snorkeling for only 45 minutes to an hour, I don't think you need a special UV protection shirt. Put a high SPF suncreen on before you leave for your tour, and you should be fine. I am pretty sure that you can find reef-safe sunscreen in any dive shop; also I would recommend bringing your own snorkle and mask. The stuff is supposedly "disinfected" by putting everything in a bucket with bleach and water, but it still doesn't seem very sanitary to me.

You can find a dive shop almost anywhere -- we have one in Tucson, Arizona!

While it is true you may only be snorkeling for an hour or so you trip on the boat could last for hours. I wear a rash guard and as long as you don't gain or loose too much weight it will last for a long time. For those that have not worn a rash guard before they are supposed to fit tightly.

While a snorkel doesn't take up too much space in your luggage a mask and case do. Unless you wear a prescription mask I would leave it at home.

Shak

Lots of people have mentioned putting on sunscreen - make sure you apply well before you even board the boat, it takes at least half an hour before it's effective.

And don't forget to apply to your bum, below your swimsuit bottoms. Most people don't realize how bouyant that part of your body is, especially while snorkelling. And most people don't get a lot of sun there on a regular basis, and a burn there can make for a few days of discomfort :)

Nobody's mentioned socks, but if you're borrowing a set of fins from the tour operator, they can help with a less-than-perfect fit, and protect your feet from the hard edges, or from getting blisters. We've got a snorkel excursion planned in Cozumel in November, and the tour operators recommended socks -- I thought it was a great idea!

If we're not flying commercial to the debarkation port, I'll take an extra duffel bag with a couple of swim noodles for DH & me. Nice to have that buoyancy.

I really think that a good mask is important. When I rented, I never got a good seal, and I was constantly bothered by saltwater in my eyes. At the dive shop, I could try on several masks and get one that fit my face the best. It made my snorkeling experience so much better when I had proper equipment.

My DH and I went snorkeling for the first time in Hawaii last year. He is what I like to call "glow in the dark white". He NEVER gets out in the sun. We bought the highest SPF we could find, I think it was 100 and waterproof. We applied it on the boatride out then reapplied on the way to the next stop and he had no problem at all. I think I read where someone mentioned the backs of your legs and they were right. We thought of that but some other people on the cruise didn't, when we saw them later they were really red. Enjoy your excursion.

I agree with Klauer, I always bring my own mask. Can't stand to be fussing with a leaky mask. Be sure keep all the little hairs around your face from getting underneath, you'll have the best seal if its just mask on skin. I like to french braid my hair for snorkeling to keep it out of the way.

Hi , I highly recommend Bullfrog sunscreen , it really does work. We live in So. California and it does the job. If you can , the rash guard is a real help, for me I don't use them I am a plus size and don't find many rash guards in my size, I always ware a comfy loose coverup that breaths , for before and after snorkleing. Remember to sunscreen the tops of your feet when you are out and about on excursions, my daughter forgot and had a painful burn on the tops of her feet for days. Have fun.

Cori

Archived