Pets... And cruising without them.

EVALUATOR

I have a Lab and we board her at this fantastic lady's who's house is done for doggie comfort . Lucky loves it , we arrive there and she lokks at us like ...ok you can leave now . When we get back she is happy to see us , trots out to car and all is well . However the dog I had before used to unpack my suitcases if I forgot to close them before bed , he hated to see us going and would ignore us for a week after we got back .

We have a golden retriever who knows whats going on once the suitcases appear. The morning when we leave he is hyper. As soon as we come home we always have to have a present for him. If we do not bring anything home he will give us the cold shoulder.

We have 3 dogs, Thelma and Louise who are Chow Spaniel mixed and weigh 80-90 pounds. Willie is a Shizipoo and weighs 13 pounds and is of course the boss of the group ( not just Thelma and Louise but he thinks he is our boss too) We board them at the Petsmart Hotel in our town. Very far from being the least expensive venue in town but by leaps and bounds the very best. They love it and have a great time. We can have family and friends stop in to see them and play. We really love our doggies and out theory is if we are going away we want them to have fun too.

I kind of enjoy the "peace" I get from the cold shoulders ( 2 indoor cats). We have a pet sitter come in once a day. One cat won't come out from under the bed for her. She was a wild cat and doesn't trust any strangers. Hell shes known my husband for 10 yrs and just within the last 2 started trusting him. We plan an extra day after the cruise to wind ourselves down before going back to work. OK maybe not "wind down" as much as we know we won't be getting much sleep that night. Its amazing how the cats forgive us at 2:30 in the morning. Mine poke.. They walk up the bed sit on my pillow and literally poke me in the head. One sticks her paw in my hair and pulls. The other bites my husbands nose. Spoiled brats.

We usually have a family member stay with them during our cruise. This avoids disrupting their "normal pattern and activities." If no one stays with them the entire time, someone stops by in the morning, and/or evening to refill food and water, play time, etc. The only thing they don't get is their nightly walk, because they follow the scent, and drag most people who arent use to walking people. They do have a large fenced in backyard to wander around in, so they get their exercise chasing each other, the squirrels, skunks or ground hogs they can smell, but cant see.

When we return, we're met with jumps, howls (Beagles), licks and kisses and spinning in circles. Sometimes we get the occaision accident on the linoleum or tile, but thats usually comes from being scared of loud noises such as thunder, firetrucks or fireworks.

Only in extreme situations (no one available at all) do we put them in a kennel, but everything usually works out. We plan the dates for our trips, and get several people lined up, even before we book.

I have two dogs and two cats. I board them all at my work while I am gone. I work at an animal hospital. I know they get lots of love there. My dogs are normal when they come home but my cats will walk around and search my house for hours. I have no idea what they are searching for.

We have one indoor cat, Sophie. Her brother, Tucker (outside cat) met with an unfortunate accident a couple of years ago when he ran in front of DH's car as he pulled into the driveway one evening.:( It was traumatic for her (as well as us). We tried introducing her to a couple of other kitties, but she gets so stressed out, I started worrying about her health. Since she doesn't take kindly to other animals, we could never leave her anywhere. We always have a relative or friend come by and stay with her, as well as watch the house. Like other pets, Sophie has been climbing in our suitcases since she was a kitten, and has gotten very good at sending us on a guilt trip.:rolleyes:

Calmpets, because of our kitties age and the beginning of kidney problems, I prefer to board him at the animal hosp where I worked, so that if an emergency arises he is there to receive immediate care. I pay no less then if a private sitter came in. If he were much younger I probably would leave him home, with instructions should he need care along with an authorization letter to his Vet. He is happier at home I am sure, but handles the pet Hotel well and gets a lot of TLC.:)

Our dog Roxie gets so depressed when we pull the suitcases out :( She really shouldnt because she goes to my Mum and Dad's and gets to play all day with their dog (and her best friend!) Molly. But still she sits on our bed with her big brown eyes looking at us and as we put things in the suitcase she sneakily takes them out and sits on them! On our upcoming cruise (9 more sleeps!) we drive to the airport with her in the back and she will get dropped off on the way. She ALWAYS cries (she has this puppy cry/howl even though she is no longer a puppy by a long shot!) and throws herself at the window as we back away (which results in both of us crying!) But we call mum and dad and they say she is more than happy and when we come home we sneak in and she is happily playing with Molly! We dont get the cold shoulder when we get home - we end up with a shadow who follows us every where and sleeps even closer to us at night - if that is even possible. Oh and by the way - it is not just clothes and suitcases where she lays on things - in the mornings when I have to put her our before I head to work she lays on top of the remote control so I cant turn off the TV!!

Our dogs stay at home with our kids if dh & I go alone. Otherwise, we have someone come in a few times a day & tend to them. Our jack russell loves everyone, but barks non-stop when boarding & gives herself diarrhea. Our schnauzer just barks, doesn't really like strangers (which is pretty much anyone who doesn't live with us). However, if I do have to board in the future, it will be with my vet. I know exactly what care they get there & when the diarrhea starts, it will be treated immediately. I know boarding only facilities do their best, but I've seen dogs brought in to us that have gotten ill. Sometimes they wait too long.

We have a fantastic petsitter who comes in twice a day to feed, clean litter boxes and play with our kitties. They love her! We don't get 'tude when we get home.... we are likely to get the crazy behavior any day (or night) of the rest of the year. One boy, BooBoo, is mommy's little boy. He becomes a glue stick when I get back, and if he sees the suitcase come out, he freaks out. I've been known to sneak my packing into times when he is sound asleep in another room. His behavior is actually worse before the trip than after!

We have a blond, long-haired miniature Doxie (Sawyer) and my daughter has his brother (Sisco). They go to the best place ever. The dogs get so excited when they see the owner or his daughters they will wet you if you don't put them down immediately. Tails wagging, they trot inside without even a glance in our direction. They don't have kennels. Our two doxies have a small room with 2 twin beds. They have a climate controlled indoor "park" where the dogs can play until they get tired, go to their room and nap and come back out. They don't miss us until they see us coming to get them and then they stand on their hind legs begging to be picked up. My daughter calls home from every port to check on them.

We have a pretty independant cat. We fill up an automatic feeder and a 3 gallon water dispenser and have the neighbors come in and check on him a couple times a week. He does just fine. When we come home, he'll give us a look like "Oh, you're back." and continue with his snobby attitude. :rolleyes:

We also have a 2 yr old lab, Bella, who is VERY attached to us. When we go out of town she usually stays with DH's parents. They love her and she loves them..she knows the equation...DH's parents=lots of good table food! However this next cruise (less than 2 weeks!! :D) DH's parents are coming with us. So, she will be staying with my parents. I'm a little nervous about it. They have 3 small dogs...like the kind Bella could eat for lunch :p...and they really don't have the patience for big dogs. Hopefully Bella will assume her "lazy lab" status after the initial shock of us leaving and be the gentle sweetheart she usually is for my parents.

I used to have a cat, and anytime we would leave he never seemed to notice. I would notice that he would sleep on my head more than before I left.

The dog acts just like she does any time we leave her, if it's 15 min or two weeks she freaks out for about 10 mins and that's it.

Our neighbor comes over and lets the dog out and makes sure she has food and water, and he'll usually play with her. She loves him and his grandkids so it works out ok for us.

daze

Our dog loves to go to Doggie Day Care (where he also spends the night) and it's actually kind of disappointing because he never seems that sad that we're leaving. However, he's always very happy to see us when we return.

I'm embarrassed to admit, but we're totally addicted to the doggie cam that allows us to watch our pup playing... it makes me feel better to know that he's having fun!

Our Golden Retriever growls at the suitcases and won't even enter any room where they might be located! We take her to "puppy camp" while we vacation.....but I really wish I didn't have to do so because she gets very depressed when she is away from us. Too bad we can't take our pets on cruises too.....:(

We have Max. Our 9 lb spoiled rotten Maltese that doesn't know he's a dog. :rolleyes: He displayed "separation anxiety" last year when we were gone for a couple of weeks to Hawaii and my brother stayed at our house to watch him. Peed in the house, which he never had done before.

We're going to China on Thursday and will be gone almost 3 weeks. My sister will be watching him at her house this time so he can have play dates with the girls - her two poodles. He LOVES to go over there. Hopefully, he'll do better this trip.

He also knows what the suitcases mean!

Cathy

I would love to have my dog act this way. but while on a cruise in june he got very sick. the pet sitter took him to the vet and after being checked out, we had to have him put to sleep and we were so far away. So when we got back our ohter dog would barely eat. she still wont eat much and we are worried about her. I'm sure its frustrating with what they do but be happy you have them.

Our cats ( now deceased) would lay in suitcases...we would always have reminders of them on the cruise or any vacation, as their fur was on our stuff! But they would go to camp Grandma and not care about us being gone, as Mom would spoil them to pieces. One year I almost zipped Maxine up in the suitcase, as she was sleeping beneath the clothes! That was in the days when you could actually check in HUGE suitcases without a fee.

Our year old Basset , on the other hand, learned quickly what a suitcase means! She will get a bit anxious and clingy when she sees them. She has traveled with us a bit and HATES the car..

The several times that we have had to leave her at Doggy Camp were awful!

She was so depressed when she got home..happy to see us and loving, but she would not eat. I know that they took good care of her, as she has playgroups and nature walks...but not her "puppies" or her Mom and Dad!

While packing for a Labor Day weekend trip, she kept coming in to our bedroom and emptying the suitcase...and looked quite pleased with herself!

But at least NOW when I forget to pack something, I can just turn to the kids or DH and say 'Zaferia must have taken it out of the suitcase...sorry!"

I would love to have my dog act this way. but while on a cruise in june he got very sick. the pet sitter took him to the vet and after being checked out, we had to have him put to sleep and we were so far away. So when we got back our ohter dog would barely eat. she still wont eat much and we are worried about her. I'm sure its frustrating with what they do but be happy you have them.

While on our AOS cruise back in December I received word that my wonderful chocolate lab Moose passed away quickly in his sleep. He had not been sick and I was completely stunned. The people who were babysitting him took him to OSU for a necropsy and as it turned out he had an aggressive brain tumor. He always freaked when he sensed I was going away. Needless to say I was (and still am) devastated.

Archived