Pets... And cruising without them.

EVALUATOR

My parents have been having problems with their cat peeing everywhere. The vet said that it was "stress". One of the supposed "stressors" for cats is when its owners go away (die or disappear for a period of time). My dad was in the hospital for over a month this summer and the "pee-er" is the one that cuddles with him the most. So maybe when you all pack for your vacation they are fearing you won't return:confused:

I am sure that a lot of folks that cruise have pets.

Some know we have three cats. When we cruise, we have a person visit the house each morning and evening of the cruise to check on, feed, and play with the cats.

When packing for the cruises, it is difficult to keep them from jumping into the suitcases, crawling all over the clothes, or tearing up some of the things we plan on taking. They seem know we are taking off for an extended period.

But when we get back, what's with the attitude problem? The cold shoulder is starting to get old. Climbing the curtains, running around all night, and jumping on the bed just too wake us up out of pure spite is also getting to be an issue. I don't even want to discuss the cat claws in the butt wake up calls at 2 A.M.

Bob seems to get more upset at me when I leave him alone, then he did when the iron fell on him and cut off his tail when he was a kitten. And with the two girls, Nala and Rootbeer, the chewing on Mrs E's new shoes or jewelry purchased on the cruise is really pushing the limits.

This only happens the first few days back from a cruise.

Does anyone else have "pet attitude problems" with their pets after returning from cruises?

To those with pets, do your pets know you are going on a cruise, make packing difficult, and then cop an attitude upon your return?

Oh I can totally relate!! We have three cats also...ages 10 thru 13.

They see the suit cases come out and freak. They dont have an attitude when we come home...but at some point during the first day home...one at a time...each will come up and ask for special care as if to say "hold me" and Where have you been?

I am a grown man.... but the problem is that I miss them while on a cruise...The cats sleep in our bed every night. Dont Flame me...lol but they are like little live teddy bears. So sweet! So I miss them the first night or two

We send our dog to doggie daycare when we go away. There is one close to us that is cage-free, so he basically moves into their house and is treated like part of their family.

When we bring him back home he's usually depressed for a few days - we blame it on missing all his new dog friends.

I usually get the suitcase out a week prior to leaving. I think it's a good way of letting them know I'll be leaving for a while so they can be prepared. When the bag is open, Mauka will jump in and sit there, looking at me like Eddie looks at Frasier and making me feel guilty. Ollie will get in, too, but he'll just take a big furry nap.

I have four cats, so a petsitting service comes in twice a day. They're happy but not clingy when I walk in the door from my trip. Once I'm chilling out on the couch, however, it'll be one on the lap, one next to the lap, one on the other side of the couch, and one behind my head. That's when I know I'm home. :)

I have an African Grey parrot that I honestly think could not care less if Im gone or not. :p

My neighbor makes sure she is taken care of and her water is kept fresh and she has plenty of food while I am gone.

Now my Boxer that I use to have (RIP Keagan :() got REALLY depressed every time he seen the suitcases come out.

Oh I can totally relate!! We have three cats also...ages 10 thru 13.

They see the suit cases come out and freak. They dont have an attitude when we come home...but at some point during the first day home...one at a time...each will come up and ask for special care as if to say "hold me" and Where have you been?

I am a grown man.... but the problem is that I miss them while on a cruise...The cats sleep in our bed every night. Dont Flame me...lol but they are like little live teddy bears. So sweet! So I miss them the first night or two

That sounds a bit more comfortable than having a 65 lb. Weimaraner who thinks the bed is hers and anyone else in it gets whatever space she decides to not use.

bionic - that is NOT Nemo. That is my chi Peanut and I want you to give him back and take that sweater off. ;)

Our 3 go to their favorite doggie hotel. They see the suitcases and are not thrilled. However, the morning we leave I always ask Wolfgang (yorkie/shih tzu or shorkie as they are now called) if he wants to go to Tailwaggers. He starts running around the house, usually with a toy in his mouth, crying and scratching at the back door. I have been informed he is the social director when they are there. The key is NOT to say the word Tailwaggers until we are almost ready to go and certainly don't say it the night before or else no one would get any sleep. They are always so happy there and run in to the little dog play room without even saying goodbye. When we get home, they are always happy to greet us. Wolfgang rushes in the door and has to greet his many stuffed animals. Gidget (yorkie) and Peanut are just happy to be home - they don't have the same "toy" obsession as their brother. :D

Sorry to hear about those who have lost their "kids". It's never ever easy.

While on our AOS cruise back in December I received word that my wonderful chocolate lab Moose passed away quickly in his sleep. He had not been sick and I was completely stunned. The people who were babysitting him took him to OSU for a necropsy and as it turned out he had an aggressive brain tumor. He always freaked when he sensed I was going away. Needless to say I was (and still am) devastated.

sorry to hear about your loss

While on our AOS cruise back in December I received word that my wonderful chocolate lab Moose passed away quickly in his sleep. He had not been sick and I was completely stunned. The people who were babysitting him took him to OSU for a necropsy and as it turned out he had an aggressive brain tumor. He always freaked when he sensed I was going away. Needless to say I was (and still am) devastated.

My heartfelt condolences to you, jeleja, and to kassimer as well. I can't imagine how that felt. We were worried about something similar for our upcoming Med cruise in October. My eldest cat, Hannah Merle, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in May and had been going downhill. My DH and I worried that she would pass away while we were gone or would need the vet equivalent of Dr. Kavorkian and we wouldn't be there to ease her passing. Sadly, just a week and a half ago, we made the decision to end her suffering. She had finally gotten to the point that it looked like every moment was a struggle. She weighed less than 5 pounds. I held her while until the very end and brought her ashes home just today.

Hannah Merle would often punish us for abandoning her during our vacations. It didn't matter if she had a housesitter or somebody who came by just to feed her and clean the potty box...or if she loved them or hated them. We'd get a serious cold shoulder when we returned for about half a day...and then it'd be like a switch flipped and "OH MY GOD I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU ARE HOME DON'T EVERY LEAVE ME AGAIN YOU ARE MY WORLD"...all kisses and snuggles. The other six in the house seem to be just grateful that we're home although one tries to pretend that he doesn't know who we are.

Any of the behavior mentioned above, I can live with. My Julio (who lived with me for almost 22 years and who we lost in June of 2008) used to POOP where I regularly sit on the sofa every time I'd go on vacation or away for the weekend. The message there was clear..."s*#t on you!"

Yes, I also have two indoor cats. The first time we cruised for a week and we had someone visit the house to feed ect. When we came home, they wouldn't even look at us :eek: for two days!

That's our two cats as well. My best friend looks in on them while we are away, and she also picks us up at the airport after. She comes in with us when she drops us off, and the cats ignore us and run straight to her!

Archived