Taxi fare from Lucca to Livorno

caroak

Its about 3.70 Euros one-way.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I didn't realize it was so inexpensive. Now, though, I am wondering if it will be too difficult to find a taxi. We would much rather do it on our own than take the ship's tour. Not only because of the price (big difference) but the tour returns at noon and we would rather do it more leisurely. Also, the tour departs at 7:55. Ghastly!

As per Cheesi's suggestion, I e-mailed Sifracar (Hertz) at Livorno and already received a reply. The compact car is 90 euros and they'll deliver it to the ship and we can drop it off at the ship. You couldn't ask for a better deal than that and now we won't have to deal with buses, taxis and trains and can plan our own itinerary. We've driven all over Tuscany including Lucca so we're comfortable doing it this way. If anyone is thinking of renting a car I strongly suggest using a GPS and also bring a map because there are times when it seems like the GPS doesn't take the easiest route and occasionally there are road changes that are not yet in the GPS.

Again, thanks everyone for helping me figure this one out. Now I have work on Marseille.

Thanks' date=' Hank. I didn't realize it was so inexpensive. Now, though, I am wondering if it will be too difficult to find a taxi. We would much rather do it on our own than take the ship's tour. Not only because of the price (big difference) but the tour returns at noon and we would rather do it more leisurely. Also, the tour departs at 7:55. Ghastly![/quote']

Since you are going to Lucca the taxi situation should not be a problem. The toughest time to grab a taxi is immediately after passengers start to disembark because many of the taxis are looking for a full-day hire. But there are always a few taxis that will do the local hauls (including the train station) and even if you had to wait a few minutes that would not be an issue since your trip to Lucca is short enough that you could even wait for a taxi to return to the port. Our primary taxi warning is about getting a taxi from the train station back to the port where there are never enough taxis at the station. This is why we always caution cruisers to allow some extra time in the afternoon (we like to get back to Livorno about 1 1/2 hours before we have to get on the ship). By the way, you are probably aware that you will need to change trains at Pisa. The train from Pisa to Lucca used to always leave from a strange track (I think it was designated as 1A or 2A) which is located way down the platform (towards your right as you exit the station onto the platform) on what almost seems like an auxillary platform. If you have a question about this do not hesitate to stop at the stations information office...and double check the exact location where you find this small regional train.

Hank

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is encouraging so I'll contact Hertz at that Livorno location and also Avis. We have our own GPS with maps of Europe that we bought just for our trips. We mostly do land trips and this will only be our second cruise.

Nice photos Screwcork. Wasn't Santorini spectacular!

Yes, Santorini is spectacular - probably the highlight of your cruise!

Since you are going to Lucca the taxi situation should not be a problem. The toughest time to grab a taxi is immediately after passengers start to disembark because many of the taxis are looking for a full-day hire. But there are always a few taxis that will do the local hauls (including the train station) and even if you had to wait a few minutes that would not be an issue since your trip to Lucca is short enough that you could even wait for a taxi to return to the port. Our primary taxi warning is about getting a taxi from the train station back to the port where there are never enough taxis at the station. This is why we always caution cruisers to allow some extra time in the afternoon (we like to get back to Livorno about 1 1/2 hours before we have to get on the ship). By the way, you are probably aware that you will need to change trains at Pisa. The train from Pisa to Lucca used to always leave from a strange track (I think it was designated as 1A or 2A) which is located way down the platform (towards your right as you exit the station onto the platform) on what almost seems like an auxillary platform. If you have a question about this do not hesitate to stop at the stations information office...and double check the exact location where you find this small regional train.

Hank

Thanks for the reassurance and for the tip about the Pisa-Lucca train. We will probably aim for th 9:10 train (in case we miss it, there's one at 9:37), returning on the 3:12 or the 3:42. By then we will have had enough, I am sure! Know us (we are the kind of people to whom Less is More!), we will probably skip a stopover in Pisa.

I'm also confused! So we would get the bus from the train station to the center of town and then have to take a shuttle bus to the port or, better yet, a taxi if one is available. Do the shuttle buses run often later in the day and is there a drop off right inside the port near where the ships are docked? I think renting a car is a better idea if we can find one near the port or perhaps they would drop off a car. We've been to Florence many times and would just like to do Lucca for the day.

It is so easy to do Lucca from Livorno BUT take an early taxi from the ship to the train station (we shared with some other passengers who were waiting in line). You need to change trains at Pisa. Coming back we did the reverse, ie train to Pisa, train from Pisa to Livorno and another taxi back to the ship. If you go down the shuttle to Livorno centre and then No. 1 bus to station route, it will add lots of time to your journeys both ways and the No. 1 bus gets seriously crowded:eek:

Lucca is a wonderful town to visit.

The day we went to Lucca from Livorno there was a train strike, some trains still run just fewer of them, we took the train to Pisa and then the bus from Pisa to Lucca and then the reverse for the way back. It worked out fine. If there is a problem with the trains, consider the bus as an alternative. Both the busses and trains run frequently.

The day we went to Lucca from Livorno there was a train strike, some trains still run just fewer of them, we took the train to Pisa and then the bus from Pisa to Lucca and then the reverse for the way back. It worked out fine. If there is a problem with the trains, consider the bus as an alternative. Both the busses and trains run frequently.

Good to know. Is the bus station in Pisa near the train station?

• 4 weeks later...

we will be in livorno on nov 1...all saints day...I have not been able to get a train schedule for that day to go to Lucca..are the trains not running?...

any advice?

is it easy to get a taxi at the pier and get the same taxi to bring you back?

we have two couples to split the cost...

they take all saints seriously..wonder if there will even be any taxis..

Just to remind you - don't forget to validate your tickets in the little machine on the station platform.

As an aside, we love your CC name. We once spent a few days at a little village called Chideock in a very old cottage built from the stones of the destroyed local castle...and fell totally in love with Dorset. You are lucky to live in that part of England.

Hank

Archived