Why are cruise deposits so high?

The Fox

We previously booked through a local TA for a P&O cruise and paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another P&O cruise through a recommended TA and assumed (clearly wrongly) that the deposit would be the same. It turns out they charge an additional $200pp on top of what P&O want, and their part of the deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances. They want $200pp even for the kids, whereas P&O only take $100 per child. So instead of the expected $1000 deposit (4 adults 2 kids) we've had to pay $2200.

I also noticed in their t&c that if you don't buy their travel insurance and need to make a claim, they charge $250 to provide documentation to the insurance agency. Their insurance is double the premium I can get elsewhere.

If we weren't at the point of no return (will lose our allocated cabins if I go elsewhere now) then I'd book with another agency.

can I ask what documentation does the TA have to provide to the insurance agency. The Ta should have provided all the documentation for you to travel.

That should be all you need for the insurance agency.

mind you we have never made a claim.:D

We previously booked through a local TA for a P&O cruise and paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another P&O cruise through a recommended TA and assumed (clearly wrongly) that the deposit would be the same. It turns out they charge an additional $200pp on top of what P&O want, and their part of the deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances. They want $200pp even for the kids, whereas P&O only take $100 per child. So instead of the expected $1000 deposit (4 adults 2 kids) we've had to pay $2200.

I also noticed in their t&c that if you don't buy their travel insurance and need to make a claim, they charge $250 to provide documentation to the insurance agency. Their insurance is double the premium I can get elsewhere.

If we weren't at the point of no return (will lose our allocated cabins if I go elsewhere now) then I'd book with another agency.

Hi,

The TA is only there to book your cruise.travel insurance is not complusory and you can get your own t/insurance.We use one insurance agent and we pay app 86.00 for both of us .As long as you are covered for medical while your overseas its ok ....really clothes can be replaced.We shopped around found the one with no access and just purchased it on-line.never had to claim but for 85.00 its peace of mind just incase.

Col & Di:)

Hi,

The TA is only there to book your cruise.travel insurance is not complusory and you can get your own t/insurance.We use one insurance agent and we pay app 86.00 for both of us .As long as you are covered for medical while your overseas its ok ....really clothes can be replaced.We shopped around found the one with no access and just purchased it on-line.never had to claim but for 85.00 its peace of mind just incase.

for how many days is that insurance for ?

....I also noticed in their t&c that if you don't buy their travel insurance and need to make a claim, they charge $250 to provide documentation to the insurance agency. Their insurance is double the premium I can get elsewhere.

That is just so wrong. As Thied said though, what would they need to provide?:confused:

Hi Karen,

Not long now for your B2B cruise.Hope you have a great time and you have a great birthday...Jacky did on our cruise in August..

Have a blast

Cheers

Not long at all, Col. I am so excited about doing our first B2B. Two Sydney sailaways in just over a week......WOW!!

Thanks for the well wishes.....I'm sure we'll have a great time:).

for how many days is that insurance for ?

Hi,

It was for the duration of the cruise 10 days.Figured we didnt have any pre-paid tours or anything...just need cover agaist injury and sickness while we were overseas.

Col:)

The deposits we have paid via Aussie TA's for our upcoming cruises have only been 10%. eg Cunard approx $4000 cruise cost for the 2 of us - $400 deposit.

Barry

Hi Barry,

hat certainly is much more acceptable.I guess from the enquiries I have made it only seems to be RCI that have the higher deposits.Must make hard for a lot of prospective passengers to come up with around 40% of the fare up front.

Looking forward to reading your reviews on the Cunard cruises.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

I have just come across an online agency that wants this same ridiculous amount of deposit to cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. For a 14 night cruise for 4 people the price of a balcony cabin is:

Price pp 1-2:$2,491.73Price pp 3-4:$661.73Govt Taxes pp:$137.27Total price pp 1-2:$2,629.00Total Price pp 3-4:$799.00Package Total:$6,856.00* Cruise Fares include Port Charges

Min Deposit Required: $3,800.00

(being a deposit of $950.00 pp)

Why would an agency be charging so much for a deposit?

And this is part of its cancellation policy:

In the event of cancellation, your deposit is nonrefundable. However, we do allow you to transfer deposits from cruise and air bookings only, to another cruise reservation made within 6 months. An administration fee of $150.00 per person applies in addition to any supplier fees. After your final payment has been made, charges a cancellation fee of 10% of total package in addition to any airline and land operator cancellation penalties. Travel agent cancellation penalties may covered with travel insurance, depending on the reason for cancellation.

I have just come across an online agency that wants this same ridiculous amount of deposit to cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. For a 14 night cruise for 4 people the price of a balcony cabin is:

Price pp 1-2:$2,491.73Price pp 3-4:$661.73Govt Taxes pp:$137.27Total price pp 1-2:$2,629.00Total Price pp 3-4:$799.00Package Total:$6,856.00* Cruise Fares include Port Charges

Min Deposit Required: $3,800.00

(being a deposit of $950.00 pp)

And this is part of its cancellation policy:

In the event of cancellation, your deposit is nonrefundable. However, we do allow you to transfer deposits from cruise and air bookings only, to another cruise reservation made within 6 months. An administration fee of $150.00 per person applies in addition to any supplier fees. After your final payment has been made, charges a cancellation fee of 10% of total package in addition to any airline and land operator cancellation penalties. Travel agent cancellation penalties may covered with travel insurance, depending on the reason for cancellation.

i think they are greedy and if you cancel out your deposit is gone

there's an online site in Brisbane they dont charge a cancellation fee, we booked a 35 night cruise and we paid $1500 deposit each but we had to cancel and we got our $3000 back

i booked a 35 nighter so have to pay $3000 deposit for the 2 of us.

i have a FCC letter which allows you half price deposits but if your cruise is more than 28 nights the half price does not apply:(

also if i cancel with in 6months i lose deposit:eek:. that is princess rules not T/a rules

here is a link to their terms and conditions

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

Probably because they hope you don't notice, but then if you do come to cancel for any reason they're in the box seat.

Of course, you're not likely to book anything again with them after that, and may well be suspicious of most if not all travel agents, but they'll have your money then anyway...

Hmmm - just an attempt to put a little bit of balance into this discussion.

Over the past year or more of participating in this forum, I have noticed (I am sure) a certain attitude by some, whereby they have what seems to me to be a rather "easy come-easy go" attitude to making cruise bookings. In the light of that, I am not at all surprised that some TA's have what appears to be an unforgiving attitude about deposits. Possibly they have been burnt a few times by the cruising equivalent of "tire kickers" and these deposit penalties are their way of qualifying a potential buyer (real estate language).

Barry

In the light of that, I am not at all surprised that some TA's have what appears to be an unforgiving attitude about deposits. Possibly they have been burnt a few times by the cruising equivalent of "tire kickers" and these deposit penalties are their way of qualifying a potential buyer (real estate language).

Barry

Similar scandalous inhouse cancellation penalties apply not only for cruising but for air travel and land based holidays through many high street and online ta's....

I will put my hands up to being one of your so called "easy come-easy go " attitudes and only deal with agencies that allow me the freedom of early change or cancellation without penalty... nothing wrong with that....

For those interested in lower deposits don't forget Royal Caribbean are having a WOW SALE - 50% deposit plus OBC from 26 - 28 Sept...

Have never met a "tyre kicker" who was willing to leave a deposit !!!!!!

• 1 year later...
A few of us just looking at a cruise - Just can't seem to find how much a Rhapsody Of The Seas deposit will be per person for a January 2013 sailing from Sydney

If its high - is it negotiable ??

Use to paying 200 pp with P n O Australia

~~Iru~~

Hi Iru

Deposits on Royal Caribbean listed below.........WOW Sales are run by the cruise line a couple of times a year deposit is usually half price plus onboard credits are offered....i can remember one in May and we booked during one in October last year..

cheers Shiona

1 – 6 nights AUD200 per person

7- 14 nights AUD400 per person

15+ nights AUD800 per person

Hi,

I think the problem lays with a total cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances ie death in the family.

If you have your own travel insurance then the T/A would still have to cancel the cruise for you and travel insurance would only pay balance nessesary to make up the loss after any refund (if any) from cruise line. This I presume does not include the T/A,s profit?

I would say the $250 you have to pay if you have your own travel insurance is the true amount the T/A makes out of your booking.

Last time I had to cancel a trip booked and paid in full with T/A and T/A,s insurance (4 days before trip)they didnt even make a claim they just transferred all dates including insurance to my new date,so they didnt pay the insurance up front as you would if buying it yourself even though I had paid for it well in advance.

Den

Thanks - I rang a cruise brokerage this afternoon and asked about a 9 night ROTS cruise in January - 2 adults and 4 young adult children - 500 dollars booking deposit each - 3 twins, as quad was only 50 dlrs less a person

Makes it expensive... although less for total payment

~~Iru~~

Thanks - I rang a cruise brokerage this afternoon and asked about a 9 night ROTS cruise in January - 2 adults and 4 young adult children - 500 dollars booking deposit each - 3 twins, as quad was only 50 dlrs less a person

Makes it expensive... although less for total payment

~~Iru~~

Royal Caribbean direct will only charge you $400pp. There are agents out there who also only charge $400pp.

I got a quote on Voyager and deposit for 14 nights was $1700 for 4. I ended up booking the cruise when I was onboard Rhaposody, only paid $400 for 4 and scored $150obc.

Last year Royal Caribbean had a WOW sale in March (which meant 1/2 price deposit and obc), it might be worth holding off it you can't afford to pay a high deposit.

Archived