Why are cruise deposits so high?

The Fox

Hi,

I made enquiries today for a 16 nite cruise on Radiance of the Seas for late next year .The price was reasonable but the deposit was $900.00 per person payable at the time of booking which was roughly 40% of the total fare.

I was wondering how their calculate the deposit payable.It must be very restictive for some people to come up with that amount of money almost immediately.

I know a lot of my friends who have to book so far in advance so they can pay their cruise off .Wonder why the cruise lines require such a hefty deposit.

Any ideas

Col:)

Hi,

I made enquiries today for a 16 nite cruise on Radiance of the Seas for late next year .The price was reasonable but the deposit was $900.00 per person payable at the time of booking which was roughly 40% of the total fare.

I was wondering how their calculate the deposit payable.It must be very restictive for some people to come up with that amount of money almost immediately.

I know a lot of my friends who have to book so far in advance so they can pay their cruise off .Wonder why the cruise lines require such a hefty deposit

I wonder Col if it is always the cruise lines that ask for these large deposits or is it the travel agent(especially the one you and I deal with) wanting to make a buck out of our money to make up for the cheap fares offered!Robin:rolleyes:

Hi All:

In the States, RCI has the following policy for minimum cruise deposit:

1-5 NT cruise: US$100 per person

6-9 NT cruise: US$250 per person

10 NT or longer US$450 per person

** suite deposits are doubled (excludes junior suite)

When they have their WOW sales in the States, the deposit is cut in half and you get OBC. I try to book longer cruises during a sale (about twice yearly).

I must say $900 AUD per person is a hefty deposit. Most I have paid is $900 USD total for two people.

The Radiance class of ship is my favorite. All the glass and large windows are fabulous. Size of ship is perfect, too.

I'm booked on the Rhapsody for next January and I can't wait to get back Downunder.

We almost booked a cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas for later this month (Honolulu to Syd). We ended up not booking for 2 reasons.....one, the USd dropped big time and also because of the depostit RCI were asking for. $500 per person but as a family of 5 that was a lot more than we could afford in one hit.

We have only cruised P&O and have never paid more than $200 per person ($100 for the kids when they were under 13). Our upcoming B2B cruises, we paid $100 ea per person per cruise.

We almost booked a cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas for later this month (Honolulu to Syd). We ended up not booking for 2 reasons.....one, the USd dropped big time and also because of the depostit RCI were asking for. $500 per person but as a family of 5 that was a lot more than we could afford in one hit.

We have only cruised P&O and have never paid more than $200 per person ($100 for the kids when they were under 13). Our upcoming B2B cruises, we paid $100 ea per person per cruise.

Same with us, Karmac. When searching other cruise lines we noticed the huge deposits. With 4 cruises we have paid only $200 or $100 (TA's sale weeks are good for half deposits! ;) )

We are going on the Mariner of the Seas next month. We had to pay $400ppp deposit = $2000 but the total cost of the cruise was only $3200 :eek::rolleyes:. At least I had a low final payment :D.:D

i noticed with the 28 nighter cruise on the Pacific Pearl to Tahiti next July they want $600 PP deposit with an online TA but Princess charges $1500 over 26 nights and then some TA's charge extra just in case you cancel out and they still get their cut

rkmw

As has been said the cruise company want your big deposit to invest in the money market. Probably why it took me two months to get my $3500 back from Costa for a cruise cancelled by them. Use those FCC letters from Princess for the low deposits.

Wonder why the cruise lines require such a hefty deposit.

Any ideas

Col:)

Col ......if this deposit was quoted by an Australian Travel agency and i was to book with them the first question i would ask is "if i book and have to cancel how much do i get back"...:eek::eek::eek: try pricing cruise up with RCL

Sydney cheers Shiona

I am aware of a cruise where the deposit for the cruise booked with an agent in the UK is half that required if the same cruise is booked with an Australian agent.

Additionally the UK fares are also significantly cheaper.

In both cases the deposits are non-refundable despite the bookings being made 6 months before the sailing date.

Just another example of how the Australian passenger is being significantly disadvantaged compared to our overseas friends.

And the shipping lines are making it very much more difficult to book with overseas agents - for example, Princess will not accept an Australian credit card for a booking made in UK.

i would love to see one of our "representatives" in Canberra publicly embarrass the shipping lines on this matter.

Last time I booked with P&O we paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another cruise through a different TA (who were recommended) and discovered at the final step of booking that they require an additional $200pp ON TOP OF what the cruise line wants - all non-refundable if cancelled. If I had known this I'd have booked through P&O directly or gone back to the previous travel agent.

I also noticed in their fine print that if you make a travel insurance claim, and you booked your own travel insurance (ie not with them) that they charge $250 to provide documentation for your claim.

I feel like I'm being charged for everything possible at every corner I turn so I'm hoping like crazy nothing goes wrong!

Last time I booked with P&O we paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another cruise through a different TA (who were recommended) and discovered at the final step of booking that they require an additional $200pp ON TOP OF what the cruise line wants - all non-refundable if cancelled. If I had known this I'd have booked through P&O directly or gone back to the previous travel agent.

I also noticed in their fine print that if you make a travel insurance claim, and you booked your own travel insurance (ie not with them) that they charge $250 to provide documentation for your claim.

I feel like I'm being charged for everything possible at every corner I turn so I'm hoping like crazy nothing goes wrong!

I would go to another TA. that is just not on

But how would you get it on with another TA if it is P&O that is requiring the deposit?
we have never paid double deposit thats what I read from quote

(Last time I booked with P&O we paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another cruise through a different TA (who were recommended) and discovered at the final step of booking that they require an additional $200pp ON TOP OF what the cruise line wants ) even P&O would not ask to pay two deposits. or have I read this wrong?

as the poster said its not the cruise line asking for the extra deposit its the TA asking for it.

i guess the cruise lines want some type of financial comitment from potental guests. if the the deposit was only small you may get a lot of canceled bookings, but with a large deposit one would think twice before potentaly loosing say 600 - 1500 dollars by canceling the trip late, thats my take on it anyway.

hi kylie,i think i know the TA you booked thru and they are not very nice....if you cancel out for any reason they get their $200 back, next time ask first as some online TA's dont charge a cancellation fee

rkmw

Col ......if this deposit was quoted by an Australian Travel agency and i was to book with them the first question i would ask is "if i book and have to cancel how much do i get back"...:eek::eek::eek: try pricing cruise up with RCL

Sydney cheers Shiona

Hi Shiona,

I did try several other agents including RCL who were the cheapest at 800.00 per person.I have no problem with it but others in our cruise party did.Not to worry the same cruise is repeated in February 2012 so people are saving the deposit and we hope to all book early in the new year.....cant let the TA,S beat us .that way we still get our Phuket holiday in May..... Thats the plan .hopefully it all works out

Cheers

Col & Di

P&O only require the $200 dep. Anything on top of that is required by the T/A. I have never paid more than the $200.

With P & O the deposit on cruises of 18 nights or less is $200, but deposits are higher on longer cruises. I wouldn't book with a TA who wanted more than the standard deposit or one who wanted a fee in the event of cancellation. One on-line TA (in WA) charges a lot for cancellations, but others don't. It pays to check this out before booking because you don't know if you might have to cancel for an unforeseen reason.

P&O only require the $200 dep. Anything on top of that is required by the T/A. I have never paid more than the $200.

Hi Karen,

Not long now for your B2B cruise.Hope you have a great time and you have a great birthday...Jacky did on our cruise in August..

Have a blast

Cheers

Col & Di:)

We previously booked through a local TA for a P&O cruise and paid $200pp deposit. I've just booked another P&O cruise through a recommended TA and assumed (clearly wrongly) that the deposit would be the same. It turns out they charge an additional $200pp on top of what P&O want, and their part of the deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances. They want $200pp even for the kids, whereas P&O only take $100 per child. So instead of the expected $1000 deposit (4 adults 2 kids) we've had to pay $2200.

I also noticed in their t&c that if you don't buy their travel insurance and need to make a claim, they charge $250 to provide documentation to the insurance agency. Their insurance is double the premium I can get elsewhere.

If we weren't at the point of no return (will lose our allocated cabins if I go elsewhere now) then I'd book with another agency.

Archived