luggage question

caldonialee

Ok, so I'm going on my first cruise ever in a few days (9/11-9/16; Destiny) and am worried about the weight of my luugage. The deminsions are fine, but I might be over in the weight limit. What normally happens in that case? How big of an issue is it?

Also I was reading about how some ships have a really nice, secret place to get good photos, but couldn't find anything like that written for the Destiny. Is there one and I just missed it somewhere? Thanks. And any other tips anyone might want to throw my way (I've been reading up on a lot of the threads) would be appreciated.

Ok, so I'm going on my first cruise ever in a few days (9/11-9/16; Destiny) and am worried about the weight of my luugage. The deminsions are fine, but I might be over in the weight limit. What normally happens in that case? How big of an issue is it?

Also I was reading about how some ships have a really nice, secret place to get good photos, but couldn't find anything like that written for the Destiny. Is there one and I just missed it somewhere? Thanks. And any other tips anyone might want to throw my way (I've been reading up on a lot of the threads) would be appreciated.

The weight of your luggage is only of concern with the airlines. Carnival doesn't have the restrictions that the airlines do.

As far as the secret place on Destiny... sorry, haven't sailed her YET, but I'm sure someone will help you out soon.

Have a great cruise! :D

Hi,

As the above poster said, Carnival doesnt really have a strict "weight limit" on luggage - I know first-hand as I've been accused by my dad of packing boulders in my bags! LOL :o

If you are flying, stick with the airline's limitations. If driving to the port, you should be OK.... just be mindful not to make them extremely heavy in consideration to the crew distributing the luggage on the ship (reminder to self when I'm packing for my Destiny cruise on 9/30).

Regarding the "secret place for great photo opps" - not such a secret here on CC anymore. The Destiny has a small open deck at the bow of the ship on the following decks:

• Upper Deck - 6: the "white" space from cabin 6108 around to 6107. In fact, the doors will be located adjacent to these cabins.
  • Empress Deck - 7: the "white" space from cabin 7108 around to 7107. In fact, the doors will be located adjacent to these cabins.
  • Note: It will be 2 doors actually - open them carefully as it's pretty windy there, especially at night, and you may create a wind-tunnel.
  • Note 2: This area has a couple wooden benches inscribed with the name of the ship, but when sitting you cannot see the ocean. Also, this area is directly in front of cabins that have windows facing it (cabins 6106 to 6105 & 7106 to 7105).
  • Note 3: This area is great for watching the ship pull into or out of a port, or great pictures at Sail Away from Miami (though I prefer one of the open decks with all the music and people - usually deck 11 or 12)
  • Deckplan Link: http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=DE&icid=CC_Carnival Destiny_187

Enjoy your cruise! I'll be on her again shortly after your cruise :D

If not flying, may I recommend that you at least put some sort of warning on your luggage such as "HEAVY WEIGHT" maybe in colored duct tape.

Nothing worse than grabbing something real quick "thinking" it's 35 pounds, wrenching your back only to find out the real weight was 70 pounds.

Wouldn't want to put someone in the hospital or permanantly disable just because someone wanted 15 pairs of shoes when 10 would have sufficed. :D

As mentioned if flying you need to check the restrictions of your particular airline. If overweight you will be CHARGED $$$ - usually not worth it. If you can 'redistribute' with a 'travel companion' that would work (we have done this at the airport when required) and/or stuff as much as you can (esp the heavy stuff) into your carryon (e.g. shoes, purses, snorkel stuff, etc).....can you tell I am habitual overpacker?? :D:D

P.S. I also travel with a portable electronic luggage scale - very helpful for the trip home (think souvenirs!)

WOW !

If your cruise is only 9/11-9/16 how much could you possibly be packing? :confused: LOL I usually pack way more clothes than I need and still only end up using the middle size roll-on for a 5 day cruise.

p.s. no one will notice all those different shoes won't the ship..... save yourself the headache :)

The weight of your luggage is only of concern with the airlines. Carnival doesn't have the restrictions that the airlines do.

As far as the secret place on Destiny... sorry, haven't sailed her YET, but I'm sure someone will help you out soon.

Have a great cruise! :D

The weight of your luggage IS of concern to the stevedore who heaves it into the basket that the forklift drives onto the ship, and the person who removes it from the basket. that is why Carnival says checked bags should not weigh more than 50 pounds. EM

Thanks for the answers y'all. I'm driving (rental car so no worries at all), so airline limitations aren't a concern. I just saw the 50lb remark on Carnival's website, buried somewhere I think, and got worried. The note about Heavy Bag is a good idea, just some warning for them, and I plan on tipping well for the weight, just didn't want to get down there and have them make me throw something out!!

Thanks for the answers y'all. I'm driving (rental car so no worries at all), so airline limitations aren't a concern. I just saw the 50lb remark on Carnival's website, buried somewhere I think, and got worried. The note about Heavy Bag is a good idea, just some warning for them, and I plan on tipping well for the weight, just didn't want to get down there and have them make me throw something out!!

Are heavier bags subject to searches more than lighter ones? Just asking............I stick to carry on myself.

Are heavier bags subject to searches more than lighter ones? Just asking............I stick to carry on myself.

I would not think so? All bags are x-rayed and depending on what they see (or think they see) they may open the bag to check on things.....just cuz it's heavy (eg. many pairs of shoes? toiletries/Makeup? snorkel/fins?) does not mean there is something unusual in there!

Jeez, I hope not! I was planning on smuggling a water bottle of vodka, now I may only take a couple of airline size ones. Still, with my luck...:o

I'm so ridiculously excited, I've been counting down since April/May. I think my friends plan on throwing me overboard!

Jeez, I hope not! I was planning on smuggling a water bottle of vodka, now I may only take a couple of airline size ones. Still, with my luck...:o

I'm so ridiculously excited, I've been counting down since April/May. I think my friends plan on throwing me overboard!

Pack your bottle in the bag with your sunscreen......:):)...LOL...Dennis

Archived