Some advice needed from those who know San Francisco

uktog

Wow what great advice you ar eall giving me here. The reason for the trip to Mondavi is because of 10years ago - we had not been going out together long..trip to SF......trip out that included Mondavi....special moment ;) ;) the rest as they say is history so if nothing else we have to go back to see where the place. What a great idea to go to Dean and DeLuca - although I live in Scotland I have enjoyed the delights of that store in Washington so we will see if that can be factored in. I remember a most amazing chocolate chi cookee from there - and also som hams and coleslaw that were wonderful

Lois, you are right about Viansa, we have visited there before and also Sebastiani. As long as we have a fun day that is what matters - and some of you will see us dragging our purchases on board next day!!!

Aj

Hey, Lois! of course you can make recommendations! We all have slightly different tastes, and the more voices, the better. Maybe that's how we'll finally get our drink together- on your next trip to the Bay Area!;)

Uktog, since you've been before, I second the idea of finding some of the smaller or less commercial wineries that might have wines simply not available elsewhere due to limited production. One that I forgot about, again just North of St. Helena is Charles Krug. I always thought it was part of the Krug Champagne Family, but it's not, and turned out to have some really delightful wines in the $15. to $20. range- a chardonnay that had "high notes of citrus" their description, not mine - delicious with cold seafood (or the tuna sandwich I had it with, at any rate:D )

When you get to the area, many wineries will have a complimentary wine country map that's anotated with descriptions of each winery. At the very least, it allows you NOT to waste time searching for the ones that are by appointment only.

Again, enjoy.

AJ:) The thing I remember about Viansa was they just "Did It Right". They had entire area of food for tasting. (Gets you thirsty trying pretzels in dipping sauces;) ). There were all kinds of marinades, sauces, finger foods. I don't know if it is the same way now. This was in 1998. The person I went with knew quite a few of the wineries first hand so It was really interesting for me, as well as being tasty too:D

There was a full counter top of people who were doing the wine tastings. It was a great set up.

One that I forgot about, again just North of St. Helena is Charles Krug. I always thought it was part of the Krug Champagne Family, but it's not,

Nope, actually it's a branch of the Mondavi family (those folks are into every wine making area! :) )

The thing I remember about Viansa was they just "Did It Right".

Next time drive just a few hundred yards further north, and across the street, to Gloria Ferrer. The best line of sparkling wines in California, gorgeous tasting rooms, fantastic views - we almost always start our visits to the vineyards with a "glass of bubbly with Gloria"!

Gloria Ferrer is a very beautiful winery in the Caneros area of Napa Valley. There are some very famous champagne winery's that have winery's in the area, and it is a world famous region for Pinot Ware grapes and wines.

What no one has mentioned is cruise along the Silverado Trail which parallels highway 88. You will run into winerys such as Stags Leap and Silverado. On Highway 88 as you just before you enter St. Helena, visit my dear old friend at Girghich Hills or my friend Jack Cakebread at Cakebread winery. Mondavidi is a very comercial bulk winery. The ones that I have suggested are superior.

Sattui is just as its name sounds. Anyway this is from someone who has spent much time in the area. Oh if you get a chance have dinner at Auberge Du Soliel off of the Silverado Trail just before you get to St. Helena. If you have $500 per night, you would delight in staying there.

I second the Gloria Ferrer recommendation.

It's funny, I actually live in San Francisco but I'm no help at all with this thread. Whenever we go up to Napa and/or Sonoma we just drive ourselves.

DaKrewser, you've ruined my morning! Like finding out that my Volvo is made by Ford! But I still like C. Krug wines!:)

Really miss Gloria Ferrer- we drive up from Walnut Creek now, so we rarely go that way anymore- it used to be our first stop every time when we drove up from S.F. Ah, Champagne on that terrace... I guess Domaine Chandon will have to do until we start hitting more of Eastern Sonoma again.

Was surprised that we found a few that we liked at Korbel the other weekend- always thought of that as 'down-market' stuff.

Was surprised that we found a few that we liked at Korbel the other weekend- always thought of that as 'down-market' stuff.

You can get some pretty decent Korbel at the winery - we stop in at least once a year, during the Russian River Wineroad's Wine & Food Affair, in the fall. We also like the bubbles at Iron Horse (although the vineyard setting has a lot to do with it) but the best we've found is at Roederer Estate in the Anderson Valley of Mendocino cty.

Slante!

• 3 months later...

UKTOG, are you a devotee of Terry Wogan?

I can't give any advice on wine tours but if you want info on San Francisco log on to http://www.tripadvisor.com type San Francisco into "Your destination" click on link to SF and click "forums" there you will find expert helpers by the hundred. Every one as helpful as the people on this site. It was one of those people who directed me here.

I'm on your cruise in September and also staying SF pre and post cruise.

Where are you flying from, Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Hopefully will meet up at the CC connections party if you are going.

Regards from the "West"

Gordon

Gordy

I have been rumbled at last - a true tog I am - a devotee of the new Knight. (now how many posters will understand that!!!)

We have made our own travel plans and are going to Heathrow on 31/08; out from there on 1st and going to Seattle for 2 nights post cruise just for fun. Thanks for the pointer to tripadvisor. Got myself registered there

My experience at present is that many of the firms arent replying to emails but we have time yet.

Hope we see you on the cruise - good to know there are other Celts on board - see you over on the Connections board

AJ

Archived