Fan Confiscated - Carnival still hasn't properly informed all of thier own!

Tom-n-Cheryl

Upon receiving our first 2 (of 3) pieces of luggage about 2:30 after we boarded the Destiny last Monday (9/6) I noted that one of our suitcases (not locked) had been opened. It was obvious as the zippers did not meet in the middle, but rather at one end.

There was a note inside indicating that a "PROHIBITED ITEM" (FAN) had been removed and would be delivered to our cabin on debarkation morning.

HERE is a link to what is stated on Carnival.com (FAQ) about restricted items. There it states:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

This is the fan in question:

75434860_4u9Qy-M.jpg

It was virtually brand new - and in perfect shape (no cracks, chips, frayed cords, etc..). It is all of 11"x11"x6" - fairly compact/small.

We had a CC Meet-n-Greet planned for 3:00 at Cheers Wine Bar. When we arrived we were greeted by a few CC'ers (HI GUYS!), but I had business to take care of, and time was of the essence (Cheryl stayed for a bit). I went to guest relations and since the Platinum line was occupied by a person with a BLUE S&S card being helped (surprise, surprise) I was motioned over to the representative next to her (good move). There I placed my letter down on the counter and said that "apparently you have something of mine". He quickly noted that a fan had been removed and told me it was because they are "not allowed". I told him that "yes, they ARE allowed - and should only be confiscated if there were concerns over its safety". He told me "no, they are not permitted - but if you need a fan, we do have one which we could loan you to use throughout your cruise". I declined and said "no, I want MY fan returned or else we will debark the ship". I also told him that in our final suitcase, which had not yet arrived, there was a curling iron and a flat iron. I asked if those were permitted, he said yes. I let him know that in almost 50 Carnival cruises this had never occurred and that if either of those items were removed I would exercise their Vacation Guarantee and get off at the first port of call.

I asked him WHERE it was stated that fans were not permitted. He excused himself for a few minutes and came back with a printed copy (from the internet) of a Carnival.com page indicating that "household appliances" were not permitted. He said the fan was such, and was not allowed. I told him it was, of course, intentionally vague thus allowing them to take anything - though that the intent was for them to determine the safety of items, as the goal was to avoid people bringing hazardous items onboard. He, with obviously nothing more to say to me, summoned his supervisor. After she was brought up to speed she indicated that the fan would be inspected and, if deemed a non-hazard, would be returned.

Within 20 minutes, and prior to the safety briefing and sail-away, a guest relations person arrived at our cabin with the contraband. I was pleased to see that it was in perfect shape (having not "mysteriously" sustained an exposed wire during its absence) and thanked her for bringing it to me.

WHY oh WHY would any guest need to play this "game" with them in order not to be taken advantage of? Nobody had actually determined that the fan was a hazard when it was confiscated. It was taken simply because someone was MISINFORMED as to what is allowable and what is not, and under what conditions. Hasn't this happened enough over the last several months ( ? ) ever since Carnival made revisions to their policy, including "banning" power strips, extension cords, curling irons - only to have a backlash and settle on common sense wording basically allowing them to remove items which were in poor/dangerous condition. Carnival needs to make sure that information on their website is accurate and consistent (his quickly located copy vs. what I found after some research).

In the suitcase I also had 12 bottles of water. My gut feeling is that they initially opened it up thinking that they would find alcohol, and after digging through there decided to take the fan as either a consolation prize or to cover their plundering.

If they had not come to their senses and (inspected &) returned my fan, I can assure you that we would never hit our 50th Carnival cruise mark. I think that they need to wise up (Carnival corp) and make sure that those in a position to pull items from luggage actually are AWARE of WHAT they are looking for and WHY!

And as long as I am being critical of Carnival (hey this IS Cruise CRITIC) why are they repeatedly the only major line we have traveled on who start making annoying ship-wide announcements early on debarkation morning? At 6:55 AM yesterday morning you could hear the announcement in the hall. Prior to 8 AM, in the cabin, was that oh so irritating and LOUD "GOOD MORNING, this is your cruise director..." in his TOO happy voice. Nobody wants to hear that crap early in the morning. I know that they do it to try to make sure everyone is awake and getting going, but on Celebrity for example, there are no such annoying prompts... much more civilized and easier on the nerves which are already in an altered state that final morning!

Tom

Thank you, Tom, for your story. I am sorry that you had to start your cruise being upset. I have asthma and use a fan every night with the air so low I could have penquins sitting on my bed. However, I would never bring one on the ship. I bought a brand new one several years ago and it had sparks coming out of it 2 days later. I would hate to be the cause of anyone getting hurt. I go for the one that Carnival offers and continue to have a fantastic time.:)

We got both our fans onboard last week but we put in our carry on luggage, along with our extension cord, power strip and hair dryer.

Anything "questionable" we always put in our carry on not checked luggage and since all the items mentioned below have been hit or miss getting onboard we did in our carry on.

Upon receiving our first 2 (of 3) pieces of luggage about 2:30 after we boarded the Destiny last Monday (9/6) I noted that one of our suitcases (not locked) had been opened. It was obvious as the zippers did not meet in the middle, but rather at one end.

There was a note inside indicating that a "PROHIBITED ITEM" (FAN) had been removed and would be delivered to our cabin on debarkation morning.

Tom

Glad you got your fan back :)...but, I doubt with ony 5 cruises on my past list, I would have gotten mine back ;)

this whole fan thing is crazy!!

I carry on a battery operated fan from Walmart. So far...no problems...

If I am remembering John's blog correctly, he said that things like fans (because so many people do use them for "medical" reasons like surgical menopause) are suppose to be inspected and then only taken IF they are deemed unsafe.

As for them having one you can use during the cruise...good luck...our cabin on the Glory was close to 80 degrees and they would not bring us a fan AND could not get it to cool down. (avoid cabin 2385)....

That's when I started bringing one... but boy it eats up the Size D batteries...

perhaps on the Dream you should include a copy of John's blog saying it is ok....tape it to the fan....just a thought!!

Thank you, Tom, for your story. I am sorry that you had to start your cruise being upset. I have asthma and use a fan every night with the air so low I could have penquins sitting on my bed. However, I would never bring one on the ship. I bought a brand new one several years ago and it had sparks coming out of it 2 days later. I would hate to be the cause of anyone getting hurt. I go for the one that Carnival offers and continue to have a fantastic time.:)

Yes - not the best way to start a cruise!

We don't use one for medical reasons, unless "medical" could be defined as helping to get better sleep thanks to airflow and drowning out the noise from their paper thin walls/doors! YEP, that sounds health related to me! :)

I don't know that the fans which Carnival offers are any safer than my fan. We have a few of the Honeywell fans, some of which have run all night long for years (our sons like to have a fan when they sleep as well). Never any problems.

Tom

As for them having one you can use during the cruise...good luck...our cabin on the Glory was close to 80 degrees and they would not bring us a fan AND could not get it to cool down. (avoid cabin 2385)....

YIKES! :eek:

perhaps on the Dream you should include a copy of John's blog saying it is ok....tape it to the fan....just a thought!!

Good idea - but I'll wager that they don't know WHO John is... The first fellow who "helped me" at Guest Services was clueless as to who John was after I cited John's blog. He said John who? I said "John Heald, Carnival's Senior Cruise Director and Brand Ambassador". He was likely still wet around the ears... :rolleyes:

Linda - ask DON about his experiences with Guest Services this cruise... GREAT GREAT stuff!! (HINT: Don apparently had TWO cabins for our sailing) :)

Tom

Yes - not the best way to start a cruise!

We don't use one for medical reasons, unless "medical" could be defined as helping to get better sleep thanks to airflow and drowning out the noise from their paper thin walls/doors! YEP, that sounds health related to me! :)

I don't know that the fans which Carnival offers are any safer than my fan. We have a few of the Honeywell fans, some of which have run all night long for years (our sons like to have a fan when they sleep as well). Never any problems.

Tom

Tom, I think as well as the cool that you get from the fan, the noise also helps. If I forget my fan when I go to any hotel, I can't sleep because it is too quiet. Still turn the air to polar, however, I find if neighbors are chatting I fall right to sleep.:D

Tom, I think as well as the cool that you get from the fan, the noise also helps. If I forget my fan when I go to any hotel, I can't sleep because it is too quiet. Still turn the air to polar, however, I find if neighbors are chatting I fall right to sleep.:D

When we travel, for the last several months we ALSO take a small sound machine --- as BACK UP (insurance)! It can be very frustrating not being able to sleep well due to environmental issues.

Tom

Fans have motors and motors can draw a bunch of electrical current, especially when starting.

Cabin circuits are not designed to handle much current. Blenders and clothes irons are in the same category, with irons being a double threat due to fire hazard.

Alt least they did not take any booze :D!

So this has nothing to do with my being for or against smoking in general, but if fire on board a ship is the greatest concern--why is smoking allowed? I mean what greater risk for fire is there than lighting an actual little fire and then lighting something else on fire (cigarette/cigar) that could blow back into a room and catch a curtain or carpet on fire? I was just thinking about this the other day and it occured to me that my asthmatic friend will have to go without properly circulated air because of our dangerous fan (exactly the one the op pictured), yet Joe the Smoker can puff away unconcerned.

Makes no sense to me. :confused::confused:

If there is nobody in the Platinum Concierge line, the Guest Relations person standing there will signal for the next person on line to approach. The OP was probably pissed that he had to wait until the non-Platinum person was finished with the rep before giving him an earful.

That is why we carry all of the questionable items (hair dryer, flat iron) in our carry-on luggage. In six cruises, nothing has been taken away!

It may not be a "medical" reason you need a fan...if you get "hot flashes" and break out in a major sweat several times a night, you MUST have major airflow over your body...it may not be a "medical" necessity, but it IS a personal must-have, for comfort!

If there is nobody in the Platinum Concierge line, the Guest Relations person standing there will signal for the next person on line to approach. The OP was probably pissed that he had to wait until the non-Platinum person was finished with the rep before giving him an earful.

That is why we carry all of the questionable items (hair dryer, flat iron) in our carry-on luggage. In six cruises, nothing has been taken away!

Sounds abou right to me. But of course OP is going to say the line was 5 deep to avoid being called out for leaving out that little detail. Just tell the truth on that part and don't argue. Glad you got your fan back as it was obviously enough to ruin your cruise.

That is not what had me pissed!

Though I have started entire threads over Carnival's lack of policy regarding how people are handled (or not) in the Concierge line. I have on multiple occasions come upon the same situation (person being helped in designated line is not Platinum). I can fully understand them utilizing every available guest services representative when needed. The problem is that a few times (more than a couple), I have waited while they help a non-Platinum person there and the other reps continue to call upon people in the regular line ( it should go both ways!) whereas in that case, I feel it would be more appropriate to help the Platinum guest whose specially designated line is not helping a Platinum guest. I have literally been in that line 15 minutes while a Blue card holder went on and on about her mother's lost glasses. I know that they were trying to be helpful, but at some point they should have asked her to step aside (as it was going NOWHERE) and see if they could help the next guest in line behind them -- yours truly who just needed change and an envelope for the Matire d' !

.. but as I said, that is the topic of entire other threads. NO, I am not being snobbish (thinking that everyone should bow down and move aside), I just feel that I have earned certain (advertised) perks, and that they are being watered down. Of course THAT is also a SURPRISE SURPRISE kind of event itself! ;)

Tom

I thought the policy was you could only bring a fan if you labeled it medically necessary. If I had hot flashes ... I would label it medically necessary.

Tom and Cheryl didnt say it was, hence it was confiscated.

I think Carnival did follow what Iv read?

Read the link I posted (specifically the quoted line)... nowhere does it say they must be medically necessary - but rather simply not hazardous!

Too much outdated info still floating around out there.

They violated, or did not follow, their own stated policy. End of story (like it or not)!

Tom

Sounds abou right to me. But of course OP is going to say the line was 5 deep to avoid being called out for leaving out that little detail. Just tell the truth on that part and don't argue. Glad you got your fan back as it was obviously enough to ruin your cruise.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am sure I gave you more fodder to work with...:rolleyes:

Tom

This needn't turn into a clash of those with certain perks and those without.. or those who feel that others come across as privileged (look up PERKS and see what you find).

NO WAIT... this is CRUISE CRITIC, and things often go astray in predictable directions... :rolleyes:

Tom

Read the link I posted (specifically the quoted line)... nowhere does it say they must be medically necessary - but rather simply not hazardous!

Too much outdated info still floating around out there.

They violated, or did not follow, their own stated policy. End of story (like it or not)!

Tom

I did read it .. and it says to me if they deem it to be a hazard they can remove it.. which they did.

It does not say you can make the determination, but rather they can deem it a hazard for any reason they want.

Host Mach said the only way to be sure of getting it on is to put a note on it that its medically necessary which is why I mentioned that you didnt follow his instructions to get your fan on. sorry. I am not trying to post to upset you, but rather what the current policy is as stated by Host Mach.

PS I think you are letting posts get you overly confrontational to assume I had not read what you posted ...just because I pointed out the current unwritten policy.

If you need a fan for "medical reasons", why not get a note from your doctor?

This needn't turn into a clash of those with certain perks and those without.. or those who feel that others come across as privileged (look up PERKS and see what you find).

NO WAIT... this is CRUISE CRITIC, and things often go astray in predictable directions... :rolleyes:

Tom

So very true, Tom, once again thanks for your story and I was happy to get the gold card. I think anyone that has had 10 cruises deserves all the perks they can get. Someday I will be among you all.:D

I did read it .. and it says to me if they deem it to be a hazard they can remove it.. which they did.

It does not say you can make the determination, but rather they can deem it a hazard for any reason they want.

Host Mach said the only way to be sure of getting it on is to put a note on it that its medically necessary which is why I mentioned that you didnt follow his instructions to get your fan on. sorry. I am not trying to post to upset you, but rather what the current policy is as stated by Host Mach.

PS I think you are letting posts get you overly confrontational to assume I had not read what you posted ...just because I pointed out the current unwritten policy.

Understood - thought obviously when it was actually "examined", it was determined NOT to be a hazard (not sure how something can be deemed hazardous without even a cursory evaluation).

BTW (contrary to popular belief on here) Host Mach is not the voice of Carnival... then again, oftentimes, neither is Carnival! :eek: If any policy is unwritten, it cannot be considered policy. The courts would have good time with that (no, I am not suit-happy, just throwing that out there for all the attorney wannabees).

In the end, the right hand (at Carnival) many times does not know what the left is doing. Thus: business as usual! Having said that, I acknowledge such disconnect is in no way unique to CCL -- and I am not picking on them to the exclusion of all others... but this is the Carnival forum. :D

Tom

Archived