Miami to Fort Lauderdale - is it worth our while to rent a car?

FrenchPeach

Our flight arrives in Miami at 10 pm and we cruise out of Fort Lauderdale the next day. Would it be our worthwhile to rent a car at the Miami airport and drop it off at the Fort Lauderdale airport the next day, then take a cab to the port? Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks!

It depends on the amount of people you have in your group. 3 or more, then yes I'd rent a car, unless the hotel I was staying at had a free shuttle service to port/airport. However, I don't think you'll get free shuttle from Miami. In FLL you could.

The FLL airport is only a short distance away from the Port. Not a big deal. You will probably get a free shuttle service over to the port after you return the car. No, need to pay for a cab.

Also, SAS transportation, I believe charges $15.00 a person to take their service up to the port. This might work out better if you have 2 or 3 people.

Oh, are you staying in Miami the first night? Parking fee is a killer!!!! So, maybe takiing a transport service might be better since you'd be paying for the parking even at late night.

If it was me I would not bother to rent a car. You are going to get in late and if you check in luggage by the time you get the luggage it will be even later and then to have to deal with a rental car is just another item to add time.

Yes, most rental companies at Fort Lauderdale do offer the complimentary shuttle to Port Everglades.

I would just arrange for a car service to take you over to Fort Lauderdale or if there is just two of you a shuttle.

Keith

SAS does not service MIA.:(

Renting a car is probably the cheapest option, and will allow you the freedom to do last minute shopping and other runs before your cruise. Some of the car rental agencies have a free shuttle to the port; a cab is not expensive if you don't want to wait.

SuperShuttle will charge about $40 per person from MIA to FLL area hotels; Larry's Limos has been suggested by others on these boards for MIA to FLL area transportaiton.

A final option you may want to consider with a late arrival is to stay at an MIA area hotel and then shuttle back to MIA the next day & use the cruisline transfers to get to the port. Hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Hamton Inn, Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, and many others) are often suggest on these boards. There's a shopping center with grocery, drug and liquor stores within walking distance for your last minute cruise supplies.:D

Good luck!:)

Don't stay in MIA if you don't have to. Certainly don't rent a car.

Find a shuttle service and stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Since you aren't really exploring Ft. Lauderdale any of the many hotels on 17th Street should be fine. Drugstores abound for last minute items and anything you'd want to bring on-board with you (soda). Most hotels here have shuttles to the port, or you can take a taxi relatively inexpensively ($10-$15)

The car just adds an extra layer of hassle that you don't need!

Archived