What do I do with my money

mgdumas

When on the shore excursions, like Dunn's River, where do I put my stuff I don't want to get wet? Are there lockers? Same with when I snorkel ... how do I keep my stuff safe? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but it is something that concerns me.

Its actually a good question. There are lockers you can rent at Dunns River Falls although that is just a solution for that one place. What you might want to do is buy a waterproof fanny pack. We have one that is certified down to over 100 feet deep and is pretty reasonable. It is called a "splash caddy" and is for sale at lots of online places (just google). We use it when we snorkel or dive and as long as you properly seal the internal bag it will keep everything dry.

Hank

There are lockers at Dunn's River Falls, but if you are going with a tour or guide, they will keep your things safe in the car/bus.

For snorkeling, it depends; if you are snorkeling from a beach, I'd use the waterproof safe/baggies--some beaches do have lockers. If snorkeling from a boat we've always just left our things in our bag on the boat.

We try to take the absolute minimum on shore of valuables and nothing we can't stand to lose. Cameras are the biggest worry for us, as we take only the cash we need, our ship's cards, ID and possibly a credit card, if we think we'll need it.

Zipper pockets on husband's swim trunks are great for many things!

Its actually a good question. There are lockers you can rent at Dunns River Falls although that is just a solution for that one place. What you might want to do is buy a waterproof fanny pack. We have one that is certified down to over 100 feet deep and is pretty reasonable. It is called a "splash caddy" and is for sale at lots of online places (just google). We use it when we snorkel or dive and as long as you properly seal the internal bag it will keep everything dry.

Hank

We've used the Splash Caddy for years and it works great. You can get it at magellans.com.

Our local travel store sells these waterproof, small cases that you can wear on your wrist or over your neck like a necklace. They are completely waterproof. We put both cruise cards in there, AMEX card and maybe 40.00 cash (2 twenties). That's about all it holds but really, you don't need much more. Leave rings and expensive jewelry, wallets, etc. in your safe. Pick up a waterproof camera if going to the beach.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with lockers or leaving valuables on the bus, but that's me.

I keep my cash and ID in my swim suit. I've found that people will take damp cash just as readily as they will dry. Last year I bought a waterproof camera to take on snorkeling excursions. I ended up taking it in swimming with me at the other ports as well instead of leaving it on the beach.

Just back from my first cruise. I kept everything in my trunks pockets. I'm sure I looked quite interesting snorkeling with my hands on my pockets (was worried the cards might fall out - the wet cash I could hardly pull out so I wasn't worried about it) but I felt better than just leaving it on the beach. And nope nobody minded one little bit about taking the wet cash!

Oh heck! I thought you wanted investment advice. :eek:

I was prepared to enter a mailing address or even a bank routing number after reading the post title! :D

Oh well! All good recommendations from other posters about keeping your items safe and dry.

I was going to say I spend it.

But seriously, on a stingray adventure in the Bahamas, I put some cash in a plastic baggie and then in my velcro sealed swim suit pocket. Baggies with just paper in them float! I didn't notice that the ziplock had escaped the pocket until we went up to get lunch. The other one with my ship card and credit card remained in my pocket. Luckily a fellow passenger had found the baggie and returned all of the money. Nice to know that there are honest people in the world. Anyway, make sure where ever you put your cash it is in a secure pocket or one of those dive containers.

Archived