Coral Panama Canal...transportation in the Walled City Cartagena?

Duck Duck Cruise

I have placed this on the Cartagena Port Board with no luck and we are leaving in a couple days. That board is extreemly slow with no movement or answers probably because ours is the first ship to change runs this season. If anyone has an answer I would appreciate it. Thanks

We have mapped out several places we want to see in the Walled City and only have a few hours to do so. Given the distance from Los Bovidas shops to the University which is about a mile I would need some sort of transportation. Our other stops are all within 2 blocks from each other so those would be no problem to get to.

We are having a taxi take us to the Dungeon Shops first thing, I have read that once inside the Walled city that you must walk. Although, I have seen cars in photos people have taken. Confused? Yes!

Thanks,

Lin

I suspect (and this is only a suspicion, mind you) that any cars allowed in might be restricted to residents. We saw no taxis on the streets during our walking tour and very few cars of any kind. All the taxis seemed to be clustered outside the walls, where our tour bus deposited us and picked us up. This was by the Naval Museum, if you want a landmark. I hope this helps a little.

Yes, I believe the previous poster is correct about the vehicles being restricted to residents. On our private tour in April, our guide had to park the car (a sedan) outside the walled city. The streets are narrow and I can't imagine driving them anyway. You will have to walk inside the walled city of Cartegena.

I don't recall seeing any vehicles within the walled city. Our taxi dropped us off with our guide and met us at a different location as we exited.

You should be able to negotiate your trip with the guides clustered outside the entrance to the cruise terminal. We found that they pushed a couple of shopping stops - pushed very hard. Turns out they get spiffs for bringing tourists by - gas coupons, etc.

Whatever you do don't take a motorbike taxi - they require a helmet and the helmets have LICE (according to our tour guide last year, she said that there has been an epidemic of head lice for that reason). Also be very careful, because the vendors and beggars on the streets are very aggressive and if not stopped will grab your arms or clothes. I am glad I went on a tour in Cartegena but I will not do it again.

Hope I am not breaking a rule here about tour guides, but since its a request, we have a tour booked (private guide) in 2011 with Lee Miles that seems to be similar to your parameters. It may be too late for him to find someone but you can try him. Do a google search on Destination Cartagena to get the site.

Archived