What currency do I need to take ?

laradog

Going on a Red Sea Cruise stopping in Eygpt, Jordan and Israel. Will only need small amounts of cash to purchase drinks and souveniers when off the boat in each of these countries. Does anyone know if I need to take individual currencies for each country or will I be able to use either sterling or US dollars in all of them?

Don't know about pounds, but we've never had a probem in any of those places using dollars. If you do use local currency, use an ATM (they almost always offer the best rates for exchange) and if you have any local currency left at the end of your cruise, you can use that as part of your tip money. As the shisp most likely cruises to these ports on a regualr basis, staff that you tip can use that money when in those ports.

Going on a Red Sea Cruise stopping in Eygpt, Jordan and Israel. Will only need small amounts of cash to purchase drinks and souveniers when off the boat in each of these countries. Does anyone know if I need to take individual currencies for each country or will I be able to use either sterling or US dollars in all of them?

Take a stack of pound coins, very acceptable in Aqaba/Petra/Dead Sea etc and in Cairo/Luxor/Alex/Sharm etc. :)

USD or Euro are also ok. Some will also accept girlfriends, wives, camels....... ;)

Bear in mind that the cheapest price is one. One pound or one dollar or one euro - for postcards, drinks etc.

Sorry, can't help with Israel

John Bull

Is this the repositioning cruise for Celebration?

It's just that, as she does the trip round the Red Sea every week, every winter, the local people know the itinerary better than the passengers, and are often prepared with their prices in sterling, as soon as she docks!

I find that, in Egypt, most shopkeepers have a conversion machine, and can tell you the price in any currancy, and will accept any- even roubles, as they have many Russians taking winter holidays round there.

Sorry, don't know about Israel. Jordan's the same as Egypt...quite happy with what you offer.

Jo.

Hi Jocap Thanks for your reply yes it is the replacing cruise for the Celebration. I will take some pound coins, as John Bull suggested and use the ATMs for any local currency we may need. Note that you are from Seascale I am from Millom !! Do you get the 'do you glow in the dark' question everytime you tell people you meet on holiday where you live like we do ?

Hi, Lara- yes, on Ventura last year, some rude man leant over and made a cross with his fingers in front of my face!!!:mad: What was worse was on Ventura this June, when we'd just had the tragedy, literally outside our door....we hid away from people most of the time, except our roll call.

There are some people on the British site, asking the same questions, and one of the replies said that Euros are accepted in Israel.

LOVE Celebration...we were on her this Feb, and she was the busiest ship we've been on....and no money making tactics!:eek: We were supposed to be doing the same cruise next Jan, but what happened in June unsettled us all so much, that we've cancelled, and will wait till everything's calmed down here- don't want to leave the village whilst it's still upset.

I'll wave from the train when I go past- if you're coming by, we're just next to the bridge....

Jo.

Archived