Mykonos, Delos question....

Kramer995

We will be in Mykonos from 8-5. Would there be time to tour Mykonos town, plus ferry over to Delos? Would you recommend doing this on your own, or with a tour guide?

Thanks for your input!

You can pull it off, but you must get off the ship quickly and on to Delos early. We did Mykonos in July on the Norwegian Gem and elected not to try to do both. My Daughter and her family, including children took the local tour over (it docks right next to where the tender boats dock), and I think it was 10 Euros for the trip to Delos. She did not have a lot of time to wander around Mykonos, but she did both. The NCL excursion was, I think $99, so we elected not to do it. I wish we had. However, we may go back to Mykonos, and Santorini, and Corfu, and Crete.

We will be in Mykonos from 8-5. Would there be time to tour Mykonos town, plus ferry over to Delos? Would you recommend doing this on your own, or with a tour guide?

Thanks for your input!

You will have no problem doing that. Delos only has three ferries over and three back, so that latest that you will be back to town is around 2:30 or so. Allow an hour and half to walk around town and you are back to the ship with time to spare.

Mykonos town is very quaint, but very small. See the windmills, little Venice (which is about 200 yards from the windmills), wander a few streets and you have done it all. (at least in town).

Here is a link to my blog from May. While we were in port until after midnight, we were back on the ship by 4:00 p.m.

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/2010/06/grecian-holiday-part-v-mykonos-may-26.html

Definitely do Delos. You can do it yourself easily. They will give you a map with descriptions and you can just pick the route your want base on the time you want to spend on the island. We went on the first ferry out and back on the 12:00pm one. Then we walked around town, had lunch and still had plenty of time left. My brother and his family skipped Delos and went to a beach in Mykonos. They also had a great time. Depending on what you like to do.

I would suggest going to Delos as early as possible so that you can stay as long as you want. There is nothing that prevents you from coming back sooner instead of later, but it would be a shame to have to return before you are ready. Mykonos town is going to be there when you get back, and while it is quaint there are other islands towns just as charming.

We were there in July. I believe it was $12 round trip. The first ferry out was at 9:00AM. The tiny, white ticket booth opens at 8:30. It is right where the tenders dock and the ferry is just nearby. If your ship tenders in Mykonos you have it made. Ships dock a distance away and you would have to take a shuttle to town.

Archived