Tipping in Spain

DanManBob

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid. My wife and I have lived between Madrid and Barcelona for the last 37 years.

Rules for tipping from the local point of view:

1. Taxi drivers. Nothing or round up your fare to the next highest whole euro. If you pay by credit card, just sign the fare -- no need to leave any tip over and beyond.

2. Bellboy if he carries bags to your room. No tip necessary but a nice gesture is to tip a euro or two. Never tip more than one euro per bag.

3. Cafeterias/bars/informal restaurants

Either nothing or leave a few coins on the table.

4. Formal restaurants/fine dining

Either nothing or leave a few coins on the table, or at the most if you feel so inclined a five euro note.

5. Tour guides

Either nothing or a euro or two.

Dear friends, in some tourist-oriented restaurants, they may try to give you a manual credit card form instead of the dataphone ticket, so that they can let you write in a tip. While most of this practice has stopped because dataphones are now implanted widespread because of potential credit card fraud, do not fall for it. There is no need to leave any tip above and beyond your bill.

Please don't listen to some of the "famous" American travel writers who will insist that you must leave 10% in a restaurant, etc., etc. This is not true and is absolute hogwash.

No need to tip at all above the kind gestures I list above. And nobody expects it and nobody will look down upon you for not tipping.

Kindest regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 1 month later...

Thank you Gunther and Uta! Yep, my travel book listed all the catagories you did and said what you did followed by - But many tip 10 per cent. Now what use was that?? Tips not expected but many tip 10 per cent?? Very confusing.

Gunther and Uta as usual gave an answer that you can actually use!

Thanks.

The tipping culture seems to be a real North American custom!

In some areas of Spain and Italy where they see many USA tourists the folks have become accustomed to receiving tips even though locals DON'T!! IF someone does something really wonderful for you then of course you could leave them something extra but it is not the norm!!

Also if your hotel asks you do you want the price figured in euros or dollars always say euros as their conversion figures will not give you the best rates.

We europeans just round up to the nearest whole number and add perhaps a euro or two, nothing more. Our wait staff earn a living wage so tipping isn't necessary to keep life and soul together. If, as Cruisingerman said, you are presented with a manual cc slip with a space for a tip make sure you draw a line through that space to prevent any additions being inserted without your say-so. (Go on, ask me how I know:()

Archived