Sapphire upgraded TVs?

LCTrippers

Maybe when she goes in the yard. 1/2012

For sure then, but I read somewhere where they were upgrading the TVs during the cruises and not waiting for wet/dry dock. The nice thing about the new ones is that you can plug your camera directly through the HDMI input and preview your pictures in hi def.

• 2 weeks later...

Pia gave us an answer as promised, live from the Sapphire. “The answer is No......same old TV. No flat panel. Don't know if other cabins have been upgraded, but not this balcony cabin on Baja.”

Thanks Pia, sounds like you’re having a wonderful trip.

You can follow her live broadcasts from aboard the Sapphire by clicking here.

I disembarked the Sapphire Princess last Wednesday in San Francisco. I can concur that the TV's are still the old ones. I had a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck. I'm sure they will be changed at the next drydock. At least I hope so! :)

Not sure why people are so excited about having the TVs changed out.

a) No stations have any programming that take advantage of the better technology on the new screens

b) TV takes 30 seconds to startup, much slower than the old sets.

There is one advantage. With the thinner profile, there is wasier access to the spare wall electrical outlet.

There is one advantage. With the thinner profile, there is wasier access to the spare wall electrical outlet.

They finished changing over the 26" Viewsonics when we were on the Diamond at the beginning of the month, they were doing them during the cruise. However being 26" they hang over the edge of the TV shelf making access to the wall outlet very awkward. With the new 22" one that we enjoyed on the Grand in January getting to the wall outlet was a slam-dunk but not so with the 26".:(

a) No stations have any programming that take advantage of the better technology on the new screens

Not sure which ones we had on the Golden in our Mini, but there was room to get to the ac and use chargers.

Besides the fact that they use much less energy, the BIG plus to me is that you can plug HDMI outputs from the new SLR’s and HD video cameras in to them and preview your images not only in HD but with close if not the correct aspect ratio. Looks like color slides.;)

The other benefit of course is using a portable DVD player for when you want to kick back and watch a good movie.

The Sapphire is going in Jan 2012 and will be getting the same treatment as the Golden did. International Café, MUTS etc. so I’m sure they will do it by then.

not sure which ones we had on the golden in our mini, but there was room to get to the ac and use chargers.

besides the fact that they use much less energy, the big plus to me is that you can plug hdmi outputs from the new slr’s and hd video cameras in to them and preview your images not only in hd but with close if not the correct aspect ratio. Looks like color slides.;)

the other benefit of course is using a portable dvd player for when you want to kick back and watch a good movie.

the sapphire is going in jan 2012 and will be getting the same treatment as the golden did. International café, muts etc. So i’m sure they will do it by then.

dup post

The last time we were on the Sapphire (4/10/10), they had not upgraded the TVs. Does anyone know if they have been upgraded yet to the flat panels like some of the other ships?

We were on the Sapphire in August and had the old TV in E 425. No new flat panel for us!!!

I agree, and I don't think the picture is that great. You have to have the tv's angle just right or the picture isn't perfect. Besides we don't go on a cruise to watch TV. :)

Archived