Flying and Peanut Allergy

corky4man

Anyone have any experience flying with someone in your party having an allergy to peanuts. I understand SouthWest will remove peanuts from their flight if you notify them in andvance. Does this really happen? United, Continental and American say the do not serve peanut snacks anymore, but passengers are allowed to carry on snacks. We do carry an epi pen. Any advice is welcome.

Anyone have any experience flying with someone in your party having an allergy to peanuts. I understand SouthWest will remove peanuts from their flight if you notify them in andvance. Does this really happen? United, Continental and American say the do not serve peanut snacks anymore, but passengers are allowed to carry on snacks. We do carry an epi pen. Any advice is welcome.

Yes, you have no control over what other people carry on. I have no advice, but notify the airline in advance and make sure to carry on your epi pen.

I've had them announce it on SW .. but the lady next to me had diabetes, and the glucose snak bar she brought had peanuts in it..and she told the steward that if she needed it.. she was going to open it and eat it.. they said.. go ahead... eventually she did..

What trumps an allergy attack.. a diabetic coma?

I also have diabetes, and most of my carry on snacks have something peanut in them. (most taste like cardboard and these are the only ones I like) I would have to do the same if the occasion arised.

You really can't control the world around you. Epi pens are the answer.

I'd like to add.. if I wasn't warned ahead of time not to bring peanut foods.. (which I doubt they would do).. and all I had for lunch was a peanut butter sandwich and nothing was served for 4-5 hours.. I'm sorry, but I'd eat my PPJ sandwich.

I'm sure others would as well. Most people bring trail mix, granola bars etc.. which usually contains peanuts or peanut oils.

A plane's interior and seats are full of debris and particles from many previous flights. At best they get a deep cleaning monthly (and sometimes every few years). Visualize a restaurant that just picks up obvious trash but never dusts or mops and you get the picture. You have to assume the environment is full of peanut particles and oils. I realize peanut allergies differ between people so that may or may not be an issue.

Most flights on SW are less than 4-5 hours and they almost always have pretzels, raisins, and other snacks. I would like to think that if lives depended on it, other people would share their food.

In any event, yes, you are responsible for yourself, so notify the airline and bring the epi pen. Peanut dust could be anywhere, including throughout the airport. One only has to view the restrooms in most airports to imagine how sanitary the rest of the airport must be.

i'm going to ge dlamed for this, BUT, i think it is selfish and unrealistic to demand that 200+ people alter their behavior and needs for one person. that person needs to be responsible for themselves.

No flaming from me on your thinking.....I totally agree with you and will continue to eat my snacks w/ or w/out peanut product while I am in flight. :D

i'm going to ge dlamed for this, BUT, i think it is selfish and unrealistic to demand that 200+ people alter their behavior and needs for one person. that person needs to be responsible for themselves.

You get my vote too.

As have been stated elsewhere in the thread, due to the way and regularity in which aircraft are cleaned having one particular flight where passengers are asked not to eat peanuts doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

They didn't serve them when I flew on them last May. It was cookies and pretzels.

Sorry, when I said "all the time" I didn't mean DL serves peanuts on every single flight without exception. I meant they frequently serve them on a regular basis. Hopefully that is clearer. I fly DL round trip on various itineraries an average of once a month, and more often than not I am offered peanuts.

I agree w you completely. In fact, I might actually start bringing peanuts on board just to make a point. I do recognize that peanut allergies are serious but there are a lot of other serious allergies out there.

DON

I agree w you completely. In fact, I might actually start bringing peanuts on board just to make a point. I do recognize that peanut allergies are serious but there are a lot of other serious allergies out there.

DON

Yep, I have severe pet dander allergies.. they wouldn't even move the yipping mutt from under my seat when my face blew up last year. (of course the damage was done). I asked when we were seated to remove the dog from under my seat or find me a new seat.. not only did they not remove it, but the owner took it out of the carrier and put it on her lap. Noone said a word, even after I pointed it out.

Yep, I have severe pet dander allergies.. they wouldn't even move the yipping mutt from under my seat when my face blew up last year. (of course the damage was done). I asked when we were seated to remove the dog from under my seat or find me a new seat.. not only did they not remove it, but the owner took it out of the carrier and put it on her lap. Noone said a word, even after I pointed it out.

I don't know any airline where an animal is allowed to be taken out of their carrier. The only pets not in a carrier are supposed to be service animals. You should have asked to speak with the purser and then complained to the airline if nothing was done.

While I do feel for people with peanut allergies, like others have said, you do not know how well that plane had been cleaned or what the person sitting in that seat had eaten before you sat there. Maybe they ate peanuts. I also think it's unrealisitc to expect the whole plane to be peanut free. The crew cannot control what snacks other people bring on. I don't know what every airline's policy is with peanut allergies, but mine is no peanuts three rows before or after the person with the allergy.

I don't know any airline where an animal is allowed to be taken out of their carrier. The only pets not in a carrier are supposed to be service animals. You should have asked to speak with the purser and then complained to the airline if nothing was done.

They didn't LET her take it out.. she just kept doing it, the steward told her several times that the dog was not allowed out of the carrier.. but as soon as he walked away she did it again.. and then whined over and over about her poor pooch. I buzzed each and every time.. til they just started to ignore us.

I wrote to the airline. They apologized and offered NOTHING in return.

I've been on several flights with animals that were a disaster. I'm just soooo lucky.

They didn't LET her take it out.. she just kept doing it, the steward told her several times that the dog was not allowed out of the carrier.. but as soon as he walked away she did it again.. and then whined over and over about her poor pooch. I buzzed each and every time.. til they just started to ignore us.

I wrote to the airline. They apologized and offered NOTHING in return.

I've been on several flights with animals that were a disaster. I'm just soooo lucky.

That is absolutely ridiculous that she took the animal out of the carrier. I can't even imagine what a nitemare that flight was for you. I am afraid, if I were allergic to pet dander that I would have done a lot more than push the call button. :o You must really be unlucky as I don't remember ever taking a flight where there was an animal onboard, at least within site of me.

BA have removed peanuts from their flights for at least 4years now and eating them in a chewy bar is not the problem it is the dust you get from a bag of peanuts which is now the problem. It never used to be as the air used to be refreshed because of smokers, now they recirculate the same air so the dust gets recirculated aswell as all the other airborne viruses.

It was so much healthier flying before they banned smoking:D

Archived