Duck Duck Cruise’s Panama Canal Cruise Blog - LIVE on the Coral Princess

Duck Duck Cruise

Well, if I were wearing 4-inch stiletto heels, I'd need a cane to steady myself, too! I can just about handle 3" . . .

Thomas Ulrich was the chef on the Dawn when I did the Chef's Table -- you're in for a treat! He's very, very friendly and really enjoyed answering our questions both in the galley and later when he joined us for dessert, plus the food was all exquisite.

Sounds like you're enjoying the Coral so far. Give my regards to Lifeboat #1: the lounger on the Promenade Deck closest to her was where I could be found every afternoon after trivia, reading and watching the sunset. I feel like that boat and I became friends!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post to cruise critic. I will be on the Coral in Feb. for the Panama cruise from LA to Fort Lauderdale. There are 8 of us, and since I have been in charge of the planning your blog and posts to cruise critic have been most helpful and funny too. Have a wonderful cruise, looking forward to many, many more great adventures on your Panama cruise.

TUESDAY – SEPTEMBER 21 – LOS ANGELES

We woke up in Los Angeles. As much as I feel for those getting off the ship, inside I was jumping up and down that it was not us! We sat at a table for 10 for breakfast and we were the only ones staying on the ship. Several were continuing on to Las Vegas….I mentioned to them, “I think I can help you with information about Las Vegas….Just leave your money with me!”

Our disembarking ticket letter was B. Yes, we did have to get off the ship for an hour and sit in the terminal. You check out with your old card and check back in with your new card that was delivered the night before to your cabin. We did not have to go to muster again as the law states that you only have to do one muster in 30 days on the same ship. But it was blaring over the speakers in our cabin so we had to listen anyway! Lol

Right after we got back on we changed into swim suits and used the Jacuzzi in the Lotus Pool area, there was no one around for several hours! It really was nice to be one of 500 on the ship before everyone else got on. We walked some hallways and saw freshly varnished deck railings lying in the halls ready to be changed while no one was on board. The cabin stewards were literally running from cabin to cabin getting everything ready for passengers.

Remember the Tim Tams biscuits we bought in Vancouver? We tried one and those that talk about them on CC are right! They are evil good and I wish I had bought a couple more boxes. Chocolate wafer, chocolate mousse type filling covered with chocolate and the flavor was like nothing I have tasted before. Thank you CC for another good tip!

We went to the Lotus spa to use the loungers and had them all to ourselves because it was during dinner service. An hour later we changed and went to the HC for a bite. It was about 7pm and nearly empty also. I will remember that for our next cruise. Again, the food was very good, nothing over cooked or dry. We had tilapia, ham, soup and salads. I took a cup of tea back to our cabin and we turned in for the night.

Vince is coming down with a cold, itchy eyes, stuffy head….we bought some Nyquil and Dayquil. They come packaged in (1 dose – 2 capsules). We paid $2.00 per package! He should be feeling much better by the time we get to Costa Rica.

Hi Vince and Lin

I have followed your 'live from' blog in the past (Hawaii) and really enjoy it. It almost feels as if we are crusing along with you! We are booked on the Coral through the Panama Canal in May 2011.

We are considering booking the Thermal Suite for the is cruise. Can you anwer a few questions?

Cost for the 14 day pass? What is included?

Are they checking wrist bands/ or cruise cards for stickers?

Is it crowded and when is the best time for day for use? ( I see that you went around dinner hour)

Thanks and ENJOY your Panama Canal Experience.

Dot and Paul;):)

Remember the Tim Tams biscuits we bought in Vancouver? We tried one and those that talk about them on CC are right! They are evil good and I wish I had bought a couple more boxes. Chocolate wafer, chocolate mousse type filling covered with chocolate and the flavor was like nothing I have tasted before. Thank you CC for another good tip!

Evil good is the perfect description! Welcome to Tim-Tams Anonymous: we hold monthly meetings in the cookie aisle of Target and World Market!

WEDNESDAY – SEPTEMBER 22 – SEA DAY

A card informed us to turn our clock forward an hour last night upon retiring. We went to the HC for breakfast about 9am and it was packed like sardines and very LOUD! We got our food and went out by the pool which was only one door away and found a very quiet spot next to a window where inside people were clambering for a window seat. It is not necessary to eat where the food is served!

We visited with “Roger” the server that is in charge of the station where we choose to sit and he was able to stay for 10 or 15 minutes. Very indiscreetly he was scanning the area for his supervisor; we could tell when they made eye contact because he wiped off the table that he had just wiped off. We talked for another minute when he said, “I saw my supervisor walk by and must be going now, and please have a nice day”

During our visit with him I mentioned that we saw the Executive Chef, Maitre d’ and several other men walk by the Ice Cream station by the pool area yesterday. We were watching the servers behind the counter standing at “attention” while the men stood in front and looked over the area. We could tell the servers were VERY nervous. When the men walked around the corner both servers visibly let their shoulders down with a huge sigh of relief.

So Roger told us that the night before we docked in LA the ships company (everyone working on board) were told they would have inspections from HIGH Level Big Bosses from Corporate walking the ship before passengers boarded. Because we stayed on, it was nice to see things happening that most don’t get to see. We are however, observant and look at places that most people wouldn’t so we get glimpses of life beyond our noses.

Seas are moderate this morning. Roger also told us that he heard there is a storm near Cabo so we will see. If the tenders can not go to port because of the weather we will let you know what happens. I wonder if their weather forecasts are better than we get at home!

Shows tonight: Comedy Showtime with Chuck Gunter, Self Proclaimed Juggling Phenom. Also Production Show: Adrian Zmed in Concert.

Muts: Oceans – Documentary, Pavarotti- The Event Live Concert, Killers.

We were at IDSailor’s Meet and Greet for CC members today at 4pm It was great turn out and we enjoyed the meeting new people very much. We hope to run into them around the ship again.

We do not bring formal clothes and make other plans for dinner from the main dining room on formal nights. Tonight was no exception and we chose to eat again in the Horizon Court. It opened at 5:30, we had piping hot food and a view from the very front of the ship at the coveted ceiling to floor windows all across the bow. Dinner music, with lights dimmed and oh so very quiet. Vince chose the Seafood Newberg, Mahi Mahi, Lamb and Roasted Tomatoes. He said everything was good except the lamb and it was over cooked and dry. I had the Mahi Mahi, Sticky Rice and Salad with walnut dressing. I liked it all.

On our way to the cabin we saw many people dressed in very sparkly wear headed to get their pictures taken. In the Lotus Pool area we noticed it was completely empty. The hot tub was bubbling like a cauldron waiting for it’s next victim, and the pool looked very lonely…..so we hurried back with towels in hand. For the next hour and a half we enjoyed the area all to ourselves. The pool is long enough for me to actually swim strokes in and the temperature was just right.

We arrive in Cabo tomorrow at noon. The weather has been nice all day with moderate seas.

Ah, I did many a lap in the Coral's pool -- it's a very nice size. And I bet it was awesome to hear/see Pavarotti on MUTS. I wish I were back there . . .

So enjoying this journey with you; thanks again for your lively and vivid and detailed postings!

Evil good is the perfect description! Welcome to Tim-Tams Anonymous: we hold monthly meetings in the cookie aisle of Target and World Market!

Tell me about it...My name is Quincytoo and I am a TimTamholic...:D

Our local grocery store just had a two week sale of Tim Tams 2 for $6.00 Cand......I so thought of you and Billy's/Charlie'smum....6 boxes were bought and we (*I*) am down to my last box of the Caramel ones :eek:

Loving this thread :)

T

omorrow is LA and we have to get off the ship for an hour, and go through customs. We will let you know how it goes. Bye for now. __________________

I hope you didn't go through customs again. Didn't you do that in Vancouver?:confused: We just got off the Sapphire and walked off the ship.

THURSDAY – SEPTEMBER 23 – CABO SAN LUCAS

Just a quick note to let everyone know about how the prepaid internet packages are working on this cruise. We paid for the 500 minute internet package through gift services to receive 80 minutes free for a total of 580 minutes. When we logged on the first day it did not show that we had any package at all. We called the Internet Café and they told us to sign up for the 500 minute package and the price would be credited back to our onboard account since we had the voucher in our cabin.

We did that and only received a balance of 540 minutes. The charge was credited back to our onboard account but we checked the next day to find out where our other 40 minutes were. The Internet Café manager made a note on our voucher to add 40 minutes. A couple days later the minutes had not been added so we stopped by to ask about it again. We were told that he can’t add the 40 minutes until our balance drops below 100 minutes. We’ll keep you posted when we get below 100 minutes to see if the other 40 minutes show up.

9am Lotus Pool area only a handful of people around so we had a lovely morning. Vince is feeling better….Thank you for your good wishes.

Arrived in Cabo to 90 degree heat and humid air around 12pm and were cleared to tender about shortly after. We waited till 2pm to go ashore. They everyone to pick up a tender ticked at the dining room and wait there until your number was called. We only waited 15 minutes and it made everything go very smoothly.

The vendors were ever where but would leave you alone if you just walked by. We did find all of them to be very polite…….just looking for work. Vince was wearing a green cap with the word DUCKS on it in yellow. We had at least 6 men yell, “Go Ducks”….”Oregon Ducks!” or “Quack at us” There was a man wearing a cap with the “O” on it and he said to Vince as we passed by, “Nice Hat Amigo”. We laughed and said, “Same to you!”

We wandered a few streets back of the main pier area to a lovely restaurant called Poncho’s it was there we were looking for a GeoCache. The man at the shop next door saw us and said, “Senior, are you looking for the box?”…”The box is in inside, ask for Debbie” We did ask the woman at the counter and she pointed out where it was, we signed the log sheet ordered two beers and took a few pictures.

I am glad I took my umbrella, a plastic zip bag of large ice cubes and a face cloth to soak in the ice water. It saved me from becoming too overheated. We also took two large bottles of water with us. Not long after we arrived back on board the Captain called “ALPHA” to Baja Deck room B*_ _ _ I have never heard it before and am wondering if it was due to the heat.

While tendering back to the ship there was a group of people carrying those large plastic two foot tall glasses that drinks of no known color in the universe come in. They were very happy and having a lovely sing along of “OH CANADA!” It was very cute.

There was an amazing yacht anchored in the bay, it was HUGE and had a bay door that opened to house a motor boat to go ashore, a swimming pool and hot tub and two large balconies the width of the ship. I asked security at the dock if he knew what it was or who it belonged to. He said that it had just arrived this morning and it was the first time it had ever been there and it is indeed a private yacht. Someone on our tender said it belonged to Google. I will have to look it up if I can and I did take pictures.

http://blog.luxuryproperty.com/luxury-real-estate-gigayachts-a-sf99-sigma-mega-yacht/

Dinner: We went to the dining room as soon as they opened for dinner and asked for a table for two. They wanted us to share a table and the dining room had just opened. We asked again and they took us to our table. Quiz Time: What is the difference between a table for 2 and a table for 4? Answer: 4 inches. Yes, they do have tables for two away from other tables as is usual, but they also just pull apart a table for 4…..leave the flowers on one side and you are only separated literally by 4 inches.

Vince had a very nice dinner of Rack of Veal, potatoes and artichoke with Fettuccini Alfredo and Shrimp Cocktail. Vanilla Ice Cream with Butterscotch syrup. He liked everything but the Shrimp Cocktail…it was just so so.

I had Chips and Salsa, Beef Stroganoff and Vanilla Sundae. I enjoyed the Chips and Salsa, the roll I had and the wink from Vince across the table several times. The Stroganoff was strange as it was piled with bell peppers and beets in some type of wine sauce, I found several thin slivers of beef underneath….the noodles were perfectly cooked.

Because the last tender left shore at 6:30 the dining room was virtually empty and because of that service was very fast.

Hi Vince and Lin

I have followed your 'live from' blog in the past (Hawaii) and really enjoy it. It almost feels as if we are crusing along with you! We are booked on the Coral through the Panama Canal in May 2011.

We are considering booking the Thermal Suite for the is cruise. Can you anwer a few questions?

Cost for the 14 day pass? What is included?

Are they checking wrist bands/ or cruise cards for stickers?

Is it crowded and when is the best time for day for use? ( I see that you went around dinner hour)

Thanks and ENJOY your Panama Canal Experience.

Dot and Paul;):)

The 15 day pass is $179 for a single, $299 for a couple. They haven't checked any wrist bands (haven't even seen one), there is a foil star they put on our cruise card and we leave our card with them when we arrive. However, I think anyone could just walk in and use it. We have never had a problem getting on the loungers except for the last sea day before LA when all the 3 day cruisers were using the thermal suite for the last time. Even then we were able to get a stone lounger within 1/2 an hour.

There are the 4 loungers and I think 5 different saunas in the suite itself and then you can always use the dry saunas in the dressing rooms.

We have found that the quietest time is during dinner. Tonite we had it to ourselves for over an hour.

Thanks so much for your writes ups. We are taking the Coral from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal October 6th. We've never been on the Coral it's smaller then the ones we've been on recently.

How do you like the Coral? Thanks again for your write ups.

Connie

Thanks for the information...I believe we will partake of this when we cruise next May... Hope you have smooth sailing. I'll be following along!;):)Dot & Paul

The 15 day pass is $179 for a single, $299 for a couple. They haven't checked any wrist bands (haven't even seen one), there is a foil star they put on our cruise card and we leave our card with them when we arrive. However, I think anyone could just walk in and use it. We have never had a problem getting on the loungers except for the last sea day before LA when all the 3 day cruisers were using the thermal suite for the last time. Even then we were able to get a stone lounger within 1/2 an hour.

There are the 4 loungers and I think 5 different saunas in the suite itself and then you can always use the dry saunas in the dressing rooms.

We have found that the quietest time is during dinner. Tonite we had it to ourselves for over an hour.

Really like your blog.

If you get a chance, could you see if a headwaiter named Francesco is still on the Coral? He is a young man, about 25, from Portugal. His older brother is also a headwaiter on the Coral. His father, now retired, had been a headwaiter on Princess for well over 20 years. He was newly promoted when we sailed last December. He was concerned with where he would be located after his April vacation. (He might remember us as I was on a special diet and my wife ordered escargot every night.)

Please warn Sun that last year, the hottest port was Cartegena.

Archived