Voyages to Antiquity, an experience you have to live

usmce5

I have been on a great cruise with Voyages To Antiquity and have to write as I do not agree with the bad bloggs that I have seen. I understood before I joined the ship that it would not be a 5 star, as I did not pay 5 star prices either.What first caught my eye was the itinerary,then the price and finally the ship.I was delighted when I boarded. A wonderful,bright,clean ship. During the cruise I met people from many nationalities whether passengers or crew and reaped a very rewarding cultural experience from this. The food in the terrace Cafe & Grill was a little repetitive. Although there was grilled meat and fish every evening I found it strange that there were no toothpicks available. There were plenty in the Marco Polo restaurant so I used to pick up a few from there to have in my cabin. The tours were marvellous and extremely well organised.I enjoyed belonging to a colour group and travelling with the same people on our buses. We built up a comraddie that carried on inside the ship too. We all had a final meal together on our last night aboard.The cabins were beautiful and the bed linen and towels fluffy and soft.You cannot fault the special touches on the ship.Lovely bouquets of flowers,palm trees well appointed around the public areas.Free water when leaving for a tour. There is one person onboard who never seems to sleep and that is the Cruise Coordinator,Linda Reyes. The management skills of this lady is second to none and nothing seems to phase her.Whenever the Cruise was affected by delays or weather or whatever,she would so smoothly reorganise the whole day that we felt absolutely no stress or worry.What we most enjoyed was her voice over the tannoy system as she made the announcements clearly,interesting,informative,funny at times but also with authority especially during the drills. My wife and I would have no problems following her should we have to abandon ship! :) What a nice change from the large cruise ships where one feels like a number.I just want to add that we have had a wonderful cruise and will be booking again for next year I want to do the Carthage and Leptis Magna cruise. My wife will be boring our family with all our photos so that they can book too. :D Well done Voyages To Antiquity

Okay, we now officially are back on board for Limassol to Cairo - Palmyra - Stood Forth the rival of Rome - Nov 2011 - balcony room! Tried to get those two little special balcony rooms 555 and 556 but already sold out, so now we have 558 on the Belvedere Deck. And got the free airfare offered with the early booking. Thanks to all for taking the time to bring back your excellent reports. This made it work for us.

We are on the Palmyra trip this year so will try to report back after the cruise. We are wondering how the combination of cruising and some overland journeys will work out. This year the tour starts in Cairo and finishes in Athens so a slightly different schedule.

Yes, next year the Palmyra starts in Cyprus, goes down to Aquba/Petra and then by land from Safaga to Cairo. Silly me after paying extra for our balcony room now realizes we will be spending quite a bit of time on over-night land trips. Egypt/Syria - overnight land excursions. Hmmmmmmmm ......

Maybe we'll still do some second thoughts about our balcony choice this far in advance or maybe we will just put our pennies away for the next year and not even notice the extra splurge by then, but the balcony seemed like a good thing doing the Suez Canal and there are some sea days. I did miss being able to get some fresh air without too much fuss and dressing up for public when we were on the MV Discovery in our port hole room, so maybe it will be worth it.

Looking forward so much to your report especially about Syria. Dusted off our copy of The Middle Sea and now we can get serious again about reading it.

I also plan to write a full (probably too exhaustive) report after the Palmyra trip this year.

Thanks for the continued positive feedback. I'm already pre-reserved for the Carthage trip next November.....I figure I can always cancel if the upcoming trip is abysmal, but I'm very sure it will be great.

I have the Middle Sea with my on my current Med voyage (on HAL); it's helpful for this trip as well. ;)

Hello and *waves* to everyone else on the Palmyra itinerary in November this year. I'm booked in 544 and Dad's in 535 on Belvedere. We were in G grade last time, so I know these cabins will be lovely and we're really looking forward to it. Dad's not been to much of Egypt before and neither of us have been to Lebanon, Syria or Cyprus so it should be really fun!

With so many ports in different countries what is the best way to handle the currency situation? We are considering one of the 30 day grand voyages..I understand we can use Euros in some places do they change smallish amounts of currency onboard, what is the currency used on board?

I know this is a long shot question - is anyone on the current sailing posting on this board? Someone that was in the Athens to Athens sailing last in cabin 471 lost a gold necklace that her late husband gave her and it's very sentimental. I sent an email to Voyages asking if anyone has turned it in but perhaps if you are in or know who is in 471 they can look on the floor and see if they can see it and turn it in to the desk. Sorry to hijack your post.

With so many ports in different countries what is the best way to handle the currency situation? We are considering one of the 30 day grand voyages..I understand we can use Euros in some places do they change smallish amounts of currency onboard, what is the currency used on board?

The original brochure stated that there would be a chance to change currency on board and I do not think ??? that ever happened. On board, everything goes on your account which can be paid in cash in US or English pounds or by credit card. I gave them my CDN card then got them to pay out in US. FYI - there is a 2% surcharge if you use an American Express card. Having worked in a retail store that only took Amex, I'm sure that the 2% is in place to cover the higher fees Amex charges.

I would contact the FLL office and enquire if they now have exchange people coming on board. It would be great since I'll run into the same problem on the Black Sea tour next year.

The original brochure stated that there would be a chance to change currency on board and I do not think ??? that ever happened. On board, everything goes on your account which can be paid in cash in US or English pounds or by credit card. I gave them my CDN card then got them to pay out in US. FYI - there is a 2% surcharge if you use an American Express card. Having worked in a retail store that only took Amex, I'm sure that the 2% is in place to cover the higher fees Amex charges.

I would contact the FLL office and enquire if they now have exchange people coming on board. It would be great since I'll run into the same problem on the Black Sea tour next year.

Good reminder. The MV Discovery operating somewhat like VTA, did have currency exchange on our 42 day Asia to Africa as we went to all sorts of little countries along the way. Great help and forgot to think about this on our upcoming VTA next year to again ...... lots of little countries along the way where a little bit of local currency will be very helpful.

Thanks to your threads, I am continuously learning more about how to better plan my upcoming cruises. In addition to the currency questions, I am needing to inquire about other basic questions....please...

I used two different agencies to book the cruise on the MS Discovery from Nov 4 to Nov 18, Cairo, Egypt to Malaga, Spain, and the cruise on the "Palmyra" Aegean Odyssey cruise from Nov 21 to Dec 5, Cairo, Egypt to Athens, Greece, and I am using my frequent mileage miles for the transatlantic flights. I just purchased the flight from Malaga, making a stop in Barcelona for a couple days before flying to Cairo to join the Discovery to Antiquities cruise. Because of traveling independently and alone, I am increasingly becoming stressed worrying about the many details of this itinerary. For those of you from the US, who have flown into Cairo recently, were you able to easily purchase an Egyptian visa upon entry to Cairo airport for $15? I will be arriving close to midnight. And, are taxis readily available for airport transfers to the Cairo hotels at that hour of the night if the hotel does not offer this transfer? I have yet to receive the names of the Cairo hotels used by these cruise lines. I have just received my new passport, but only after some reading, I discovered that I need an Egyptian visa and I am very hesitant about sending my new passport in the mail from Hawaii to the Continental US for this Visa, and because I am flying back to Cairo from Malaga, Spain, I may need a multiple entry visa. I am told that all the other necessary visas will be obtained by the respective cruise lines for appropriate fees. I would truly appreciate any advice any of you may be able to offer me.

Joni

My recollection is decades old, but NOTHING was easy in Egypt and the airport was total chaos. And everything, everything, everything needed a "tip" (even just a few cigarettes/gum/candy bars) to get even the most official bit of information like your flight departure confirmation. No tip, and they could not find you flight on the computer even when you were holding the paper ticket in your hand.

I ended up having to take an all night train to Luxor once because I took them for face value the flight was over-booked, only to have it more than half empty when I returned after being required to show up early as standby -- a few cigarettes in those days could have save me all that grief and missed connections. Apparently you just offer something as a polite "courtesy" and then ask if they can check again just to make sure.....

Egypt has come a long way since that time, but getting your visa now would help a lot so you can enjoy your planning better. I agree I always hate to send my passports to get visas too, but so far it has always worked out. These countries want you to visit them, get your visa money and make it work out for you to visit and spend even more money. There is no gain to foul things up for them.

This might be a time to pay the premium and use a passport visa service who also has a clear interest in getting things to work for you on time. Considering the state of "immigration" in this world today, visas today are really a cash shakedown but without one at the right time and place, it can be even more of a shakedown.

Thanks for the report.

Anyone know how the color groups get organized? It sounds like that could really add to the voyage.

And a POOOH, I have now requested a cataloug from VTA twice with no responce. Is there a secret? :)

The colour groups get determined by your cabin category in order to allow for the consierage people to get off the ship first. Even though most people do all the tours, there were enough busses to handle everyone without over crowding. I was always able to get a window seat.

If you need a catalog, phone the office in your country directly. I called the office in Toronto and the TA sent me one priority post. - Shar

SwissMyst, thanks a million for your valuable inputs, they are much appreciated and very helpful. I will follow your advice and send my passport to a recognized agency for the Egyptian visa. Since smokers are decreasing in numbers as of late, are cigarettes still valued as an effective incentive? Despite the fact that I do not smoke, I can purchase and a carton, using individual packs for bartering purposes while on these two cruises; what brand of cigarettes would you suggest? Gums would be easy to pack, and are pens still very popular? I haven't traveled abroad for over ten years and am unfamiliar with the current touring practices. Thank you again, SwissMyst.

Joni

SwissMyst, thanks a million for your valuable inputs, they are much appreciated and very helpful. I will follow your advice and send my passport to a recognized agency for the Egyptian visa. Since smokers are decreasing in numbers as of late, are cigarettes still valued as an effective incentive? Despite the fact that I do not smoke, I can purchase and a carton, using individual packs for bartering purposes while on these two cruises; what brand of cigarettes would you suggest? Gums would be easy to pack, and are pens still very popular? I haven't traveled abroad for over ten years and am unfamiliar with the current touring practices. Thank you again, SwissMyst.

Joni

I'd offer a stick of gum, pack of mints, or a nutrition type bar which would be easier to carry and more useful afterwards if you never end up needing them. Take one piece for your self and then offer another one to the person you are working with, as you scratch your head trying to figure out what to do next, and then say gosh, can you try again ...... that way it is not a bribe, but just a courtesy gesture. I

t used to be you could get around the world on Malboro cigarettes, and this may still be the brand of choice and I do think people still do smoke in the more remote areas you will be visiting.

It will be interesting to hear your tales coming back. I traveled three times to Egypt. Once on a ship tour and was overwhelmed with the intensity. Then later with a friend who knew how to work with the system. And finally on my own, when I had both my misadventures and adventures and also found some of the nicest people to help me too and it was safe even though it looked like every other person was ready to sell you off to white slavery in those days - women were just not solo travelers much then. But it was one of the grandest solo adventures I had up to that time and it all worked out, with stories to tell even now decades later.

Again, SwissMyst, thank you for taking the time to respond to my rather mundane travel questions. Noticing that you belong to the Travel Century Club, which I believe may be located in California, you are a veteran traveler, and you are very kind to share some of your knowledge with the lesser experienced traveler. Wish you were on this cruise; however, I see that you will be taking this cruise next year and are doing an overnight in Lebanon, which should be a real plus.

Have you had any experience sending your luggage directly from your home to an International destination? I am considering this as an option to make my life easier traveling from Honolulu to Cairo and reducing the chances of a loss of that piece of luggage along the many stops I am making. I am wondering if there might be a history of these companies having ever lost luggage or made late arrivals at their destinations.

Thanks in advance to you or anyone who might share their experiences regarding sending their luggage ahead.

Joni

Hi, I am currently on board the ship, my hubby and I are enjoying the Sicily is the key cruise quite a lot, I must say the cabins in J standard are very nice, and the service has been up to now very good. But I just wanted to mention something strange that happened last night.

Last night I was leaning over the railing watching the word go by, at Sorrento, when I noticed a lot of activity at the tenders, I saw loads of luggage being poured into the tender and some people getting on. I asked one of the crew next to me what was going on, and to my amazement he was almost in tears saying that "Mam Linda" was leaving the ship. Some more crew showed up and there was an awful lot of waving and some members actually crying! I didn't know what all the fuss was about until one of them clarified that the person leaving the ship, was the operations manager on board. I know the lady personally as I have had a couple of minor issues that I wanted to discuss, and she made herself available to us from day one, taking a personal interest in all the matters we put forth to her.

I must say I was pretty wary of this cruise line, as when we booked there seemed to be bad bloggings about it all over the place. Thankfully, after speaking to some friends that joined the ship in august, they said that the cruise operations person on board was pretty good and that the reports, while probably accurate to start with, were out of date, as this lady was on top of everything.

I must admit I am a bit nosy, so today I went to ask about her, mostly out of curiosity, but so far it has been pretty strange, at first all I got was evasive answers from some of the crew like "she's off duty" and another said that they would get her to contact me (noone asked if they could help me with any issue mind you). Finally I had to get it out and tell them that I had seen her leave the ship, and at that one of the actually blushed and said they where under "orders" not to say anything. The announcements are currently being made by an englishman, the captain and sundry.

I am pretty concerned that VTA has done away with one of the persons, if not the person, responsible for the turnaround of the quality of this cruise ship. I have already discussed this with some of my new friends onboard and they feel the same way I do. I'll keep you posted on more details, we only have a couple more days to go, so hopefully they won't have much time to mess it up.

Your ship in Napoli, from Costa Concordia

Image_Camera2_ship30__04-10-2010_14_23_47.jpg

You picked our favorite city for the shot - a double treat. We love Naples and looking forward to our time on the VTA ----- next year now. Thanks for the photo.

Have you had any experience sending your luggage directly from your home to an International destination? I am considering this as an option to make my life easier traveling from Honolulu to Cairo and reducing the chances of a loss of that piece of luggage along the many stops I am making. I am wondering if there might be a history of these companies having ever lost luggage or made late arrivals at their destinations.

Thanks in advance to you or anyone who might share their experiences regarding sending their luggage ahead.

Joni

I have not used that type of luggage forwarding service and again I would be wary of anything being sent to Cairo - teeming chaos is its signature charm. You may want to keep re-thinking what you are bringing instead of using a luggage forwarding service to make things work easily for you. There are some online packing websites (onebag) that give very good tips and insist you should be able to go around the world with just one back-pack. Seems to work best for "guys" but it is good to see how others handle the long-trip packing challenges.

One thing I learned from my MV Discovery trip was a few travel logo t-shirts the ones you pick up as souvenirs around the world were good enough ship daytime wear and nice ice breakers. So these things can even be picked up along the way and become your working travel wardrobe, that you don't need to pack and may be willing to discard before you come home. So instead of paying for a luggage forwarding service, take that money and buy a bunch of travel logo tee-shirts instead once you arrive at your destinations .

The tourist office in Penang Malaysia gave us all a pack of gifts which included a very lovely travel logo tee-shirt and for the entire rest of the cruise at least 5-10 different people a day were wearing that tee-shirt and I see several of them in my string of Discovery photos even on the last days of the cruise, now a month away from the Penang stop.Travel tee-shirts at least on this ship were the cool travel attire alternative.

Most of the port stops we made had tourist kiosk shops right at the gangway, and many of them even had some very nice women's glamour wear tops, shawls, accessories, etc that would serve evening wear very well but counting on this would be chancier. But these port sellers know who their customer base is and deliver what traveling people need and want. Plus even the ship shops usually carry a nice array of travel clothing and dress -up items so you can supplement some of your packing needs right there on the ship, rather than paying extra to send your own goods half way around the world.

Drip-dry cargo pants or a cargo skirt are now essential wear for us due to too many robbery incidents -- no purses or bags or packs dangling in easy reach any longer. Everything now gets carried on the person in bulky pockets when we are off-ship. And the surprising thing is seeing lots of , people looking like that out there in the world today, not just the stereotypical tourist. No fashion scene I agree, but ease and light packing are the beneficial trade-offs.

This just leaves needing a few nice, interchangeable items for evening wear - nice packable sparkly tops and a nice neutral skirt or pants. Packing done. A rolling duffle bag is now my major bag of choice to save weight on the luggage end to allow more packing of the critical needs to keep it under baggage limits. And of course the rolling carryon for all those must have essentials in case the main luggage does not get there.

I just got a new Travelpro rolling carry on that is taller and narrower than my former Travelpro carry-on because we have found the aisles between seats on the plane got a lot narrower and I could no longer roll my carry on on the plane itself because it was just too wide now. Life in coach. Ugh.

Looking back I know I way overpacked for our 42 day trip and wish I had known and taken my own advice and not tried to over-stuff my own luggage. I easily carried double of what I actually needed and used. So even after travel to 102 countries around the world, I am still learning, learning, learning and more and more the sign of the really fashionable traveler is function and practicality, not glamour. And that does not mean sloppy or careless, just a lot less in quantity and a lot more in basic quality of the basic travel wardrobe essentials. And throw in a few travel tee-shirts you pick up along the way for fun and memories and you have it all.

Archived