Need some 411 about Tender

Singer4Him

This will be our first cruise where there is a tender, so I'm a little clueless when it comes to this. Is there a fee associated with it? Do you choose what company you tender with or does Carnival have their own?

We're supposed to port in Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I know that Cozumel does not have a tender but what about the other two?

The tendering is provided. You have no choice as Carnival contracts with the operator.

Belize will be your only tender port. Get ready for about a 45-minute ride from the ship to the pier.

The last time we were at Belize, we opted to stay onboard due to the long tender times. A few of our friends on board took a snorkel excursion and left directly from the ship.

Tenders are not that big of a deal but I wasn't up to the hassle of a long tender ride. Other tenders I've taken were fine as they were not that long.

We tendered at Grand Cayman and it's very easy since all you have to do is get from the Ship to a smaller ship which takes you in to the port. They have to do this due to the Cruise ship not being able to make it all the way in to land when the port is too shallow.

The earlier poster is correct in that the people with excursions will try to be the first ones off, so if you don't have to rush I would recommend that you just take your time and enjoy.

If you don't have an early excursion to catch, then don't hurry to be in the first groups to get off the ship. It will be a total cluster%^*k! Everyone and their momma will be crowding the lower decks. Just eat a more leisurely breakfast and wait a little bit, if feasible.

I haven't heard that term in a long time, made me LOL. Thanks.

No fee for tendering, Carnival takes care of that. Pay attention to where you get off that tender once you get to shore, that's where you need to come to catch one back to your ship. There are often more than one ship in port, so you'll need to know where yours is leaving from. They won't let you onto the wrong one (your S&S card will be checked) but you could waste time in the wrong line if you aren't paying attention. But don't worry, it's easy to figure out which line is yours. As was already mentioned, the tender into Belize is a long one, the reef forces ships to anchor quite a ways from shore. Yes, usually ships excursions get on the first several tenders. If you take a ships excursion, they will tell you where to meet on the ship and they will get you onto the correct tender. If you are doing a private tour set for a specific time, still go down to the tender deck or where ever they are passing out tickets... forgive me, first time on CCL coming up and am relying on what I've read, which I believe is that they pass out numbered tickets... they will ask what you are doing ashore, be honest and tell them you have a set time for an independent tour. It's my understanding they will accommodate you with the appropriate ticket number. If you are NOT on a time schedule, yeah, relax that morning and go down after the rush is over. I'm not certain about Belize, but I think if your ship is due to leave at say 4pm, you need to be back on the last tender by 3pm (thats the general rule for tendering, but maybe sooner since it's a long ride in Belize, not positive so ASK). Ships excursions will also bring you back to the ship or give you directions on how to do it yourself. No worries there. Make sure you keep your watch on SHIPS TIME, that way you won't make a mistake about when it's leaving. Sounds like a lot to remember, but you'll figure it out easy enough.

Have a great time!

I went to the same ports back in June and Belize is the only tender port. It will be hectic as far as getting a tender ticket and making your way to the galley. Also, IMO, I don't think Belize is worth getting off the ship to visit unless you have a shore excursion planned. The port is really dirty, you'll notice the water is BLACK from being 80 ft. below sea level. You'll see trash floating in the water, and all the shops & bars are really dirty, broken down spots. My family and I ended up paying 25 per person to take a boat ride to a man-made beach "resort", which turned out to be a nightmare itself (excursion was not through Carnival btw). This "resort" was just a really sharp, rocky beach with swamp-like water & water snakes was present. OH, and you are stuck there for FIVE hours because they don't want to waste fuel bringing people back & fourth. Granted, my 9 month old son was with me, along with my aunt who was a diabetic, so we were able to walk to the other side of this man made island to catch a scuba diving boat that was heading back to the cruise ship. So beware & do your research ahead of time when it comes to excursions. I'm SURE Belize IS beautiful if you plan to do the right excursion. I hear cave tubing is great!

The tendering is provided. You have no choice as Carnival contracts with the operator.

Belize will be your only tender port. Get ready for about a 45-minute ride from the ship to the pier.

It only took us about 15 minutes. Does the ship sometimes anchor at different distances from shore?

IThe port is really dirty, you'll notice the water is BLACK from being 80 ft. below sea level.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. ;) :D

Just FYI, the port at Belize City is most certainly not below sea level. That would be physically impossible.

Belize is a port best served with an organized excursion, to be sure, but it's a wonderful place.

If you want to avoid the crowds and do NOT NEED to be first off the ship, wait a bit...45 min to an hour...and there will be NO lines at all. At a tender port, the tenders run about every 15 -30 mins....you may come and go at will.

As far as what to do in ports, a guidebook will be your best friend....it will tell you everything about the countries you'll visit and you can most likely do things on your own, without paying for an excursion, depending on what interests you!

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. ;) :D

Just FYI, the port at Belize City is most certainly not below sea level. That would be physically impossible.

Belize is a port best served with an organized excursion, to be sure, but it's a wonderful place.

I apologize if I am incorrect, but the guide who took us to our excursion explained that to us as for why the water was so dark at port compared to the clear blue water where the ship was.

The cruise ship will take care of arranging tenders, it will take anywhere from 15-20 minutes to get from the ship to the port, and if you do book an outside (not with the ship) excursion, make sure it's with someone reputable like Island Marketing. I would never venture outside the gates without a tour!!!

The Ports of Call forum will be your best friend in instances like this.

Good luck and enjoy Belize - she's a beautiful gal!

If you don't have an early excursion to catch, then don't hurry to be in the first groups to get off the ship. It will be a total cluster%^*k! Everyone and their momma will be crowding the lower decks. Just eat a more leisurely breakfast and wait a little bit, if feasible.

Have fun!!!!

Thank alot. Got a mental picture and spewed out my coffee! LOL

I apologize if I am incorrect, but the guide who took us to our excursion explained that to us as for why the water was so dark at port compared to the clear blue water where the ship was.

Some parts of the city are below sea level at high tide, but the port area is above sea level. All salt-water areas are by definition at sea level.

I went to the same ports back in June and Belize is the only tender port. It will be hectic as far as getting a tender ticket and making your way to the galley. Also, IMO, I don't think Belize is worth getting off the ship to visit unless you have a shore excursion planned. The port is really dirty, you'll notice the water is BLACK from being 80 ft. below sea level. You'll see trash floating in the water, and all the shops & bars are really dirty, broken down spots. My family and I ended up paying 25 per person to take a boat ride to a man-made beach "resort", which turned out to be a nightmare itself (excursion was not through Carnival btw). This "resort" was just a really sharp, rocky beach with swamp-like water & water snakes was present. OH, and you are stuck there for FIVE hours because they don't want to waste fuel bringing people back & fourth. Granted, my 9 month old son was with me, along with my aunt who was a diabetic, so we were able to walk to the other side of this man made island to catch a scuba diving boat that was heading back to the cruise ship. So beware & do your research ahead of time when it comes to excursions. I'm SURE Belize IS beautiful if you plan to do the right excursion. I hear cave tubing is great!

I don't think we went to the same place.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

We did a Carnival excursion because of the short time we were in port and the fact that it was a tender port. Our excursion took us to Bacab Eco Park. Very nice. We really loved this stop.

I seem to remember it being more like 15 minutes...

That's what I was going to say, the last few times I've been there it's been more like 20 minutes, but that was on one of the high speed boats....

Could be closer to 45 after you board the tender, wait for it to fill, then wait for everyone to debark.........sister won't tender anymore due to almost getting stuck in GC because of rough sea coming up after we were on shore.........it was a pretty scary leap/grab/snatch getting back onto the ship........

Archived