Dining room seating- we are always stuck

SailingGrace

With each cruise we seem to always get a big round table in the center. It's just me and my teenage daughter and we sit with usually a family the size of the table minus two. So I understand why Carnival does this- makes sense.

I don't care for it any longer so we have chosen the anytime/yourtime dining.

I'd like a seat on the edge- maybe a window as I've never sat by the window and it's my preferable spot when dining in restaurants. How can I make this happen? Or are those tables reserved for 'higher booking class' passengers?

I think that with your time dining you can request any kind of table you want, and based on what is available at the time, you can have it. So if there is a table near or by the window, the size you like, you should be able to have it. :)

With YTD, it's the luck of the draw regarding the window-side tables. For YTD, they usually have them set up as "two-tops", and I have seen them pushed together in the event a party of 4/6 wants to sit there (AND there are enough tables available).

When all else fails, send John Heald a note via his blog. Make sure to include your cabin number(s), ship you are sailing on, and date of the sailing.

Good luck!

Ask John Heald on his blog. He can help ya get a table for 2.

www.johnhealdsblog.com

?????

The OP has anytime dining. All that is needed to get a table for two every night is to ask at the hostess stand. As far as the OP's request for a window, depending on the ship and dining room configuration, if they tables exist then again ask at the hostess stand and they will put you there.It is neither a problem, not a big deal, it happens many times every night!

BTW sending John a request is wasting your time and his when dealing with anytime dining, either the tables exist or they don't. It is that simple!

John Heald is not the maitre d' for all the ships. I think he has more important things to do than book tables for two at the window.

Anytime dining your choice tell them how many, tell them where you would like to sit and your server staff of choice if you have one. No brainer.

No need to ask John on his blog. Very simple to ask for a table for 2 in the My Time Dining. It is much easier to get a table for 2 than any other size table and as others have said, if there are tables by the window when you arrive, the hostess will be glad to seat you there. Very easy!:)

OP - As others have mentioned, just ask the MD or Hostess that you want a window and/or a 2 top. I've been next to the window the past several cruises, but please realize that there's nothing to see because it's dark:eek:

Pleeeeez do not contact John, that would be silly:rolleyes:

With each cruise we seem to always get a big round table in the center. It's just me and my teenage daughter and we sit with usually a family the size of the table minus two. So I understand why Carnival does this- makes sense.

I don't care for it any longer so we have chosen the anytime/yourtime dining.

I'd like a seat on the edge- maybe a window as I've never sat by the window and it's my preferable spot when dining in restaurants. How can I make this happen? Or are those tables reserved for 'higher booking class' passengers?

If you have confirmed YTD then you can request a table size and location but you may have to wait for it........

I see though that your next sailing is around Thanksgiving and a window seat might not be as desireable as you think since it will most likely be dark during dinner seating and all you can see in the window is the reflection of the DR (that's if they have the drapes open)

Funny we love the big tables- but recently keep getting put at a booth for four- the big tables are a great way to meet people!

On all but my first cruise, we have been stuck at the waaaaay back of the dining room. It's almost to the point of being ridiculous. Can never see any of the action!

It's just me and my teenage daughter

Hubby is always so reluctant to go anywhere....

I can't wait until my daughter is a teenager so that we can cruise together on our own. We are definitely going to try it in a few years. She is seven now. We have already done DisneyWorld twice by ourselves. Of course, Disney makes it so easy. We just fly into MCO, Disney picks us up and takes us to the resort, then we use the Disney buses to go everywhere, then Disney takes us back to the airport and we fly home. :p

Life is so good when you don't have to do any of the work yourself. I have noticed that a cruise situation is similar, so maybe taking this "girls only" trip isn't as far away as I think! ;)

Hubby is always so reluctant to go anywhere....

I can't wait until my daughter is a teenager so that we can cruise together on our own. We are definitely going to try it in a few years. She is seven now. We have already done DisneyWorld twice by ourselves. Of course, Disney makes it so easy. We just fly into MCO, Disney picks us up and takes us to the resort, then we use the Disney buses to go everywhere, then Disney takes us back to the airport and we fly home. :p

Life is so good when you don't have to do any of the work yourself. I have noticed that a cruise situation is similar, so maybe taking this "girls only" trip isn't as far away as I think! ;)

I have been vacationing with my daughter every year since she was three. Just the two of us. Being on a cruise has been the easiest. When she was smaller, caribbean islands were fine, but as she grows older she likes being around other kids in the kids club. We have done Disney three times, I am done with Disney. LOL She is eleven now. Next year she gets to take a friend. I'm gonna love that extra responsiblity. :)

op - as others have mentioned, just ask the md or hostess that you want a window and/or a 2 top. I've been next to the window the past several cruises, but please realize that there's nothing to see because it's dark:eek:

Pleeeeez do not contact john, that would be silly:rolleyes:

right!

Ask the hostess for what you prefer---that simple.

An experience on my 1st cruise: My friend was ill at dinner time one evening so I went to the MDR alone & said I would like to sit with others. Thought it would be fun to meet new people. I was surprised to be seated by myself at at 4-top. A few minutes later, a young 30-something couple was seated with me. I spoke to them; they barely spoke to me. And they didn't talk to each other either. It felt like they had just had a huge argument; the tension between them was quite obvious. I finally just started asking them questions & making comments about the cruise---trying to get some kind of conversation going. It was like "pulling hen's teeth" to get them to even speak, either to me or to each other. It was not the most pleasant dinner! But I was wishing I had been put at one of those large tables with more people to interact with! I did wonder later if they had asked to be seated alone and got stuck with me by accident!!

I do like a big round one tho. I have a hearing prob, and like to sit twd the back by a pole with the crowd behind me so I can hear my waiter. This cuts down on the noise level for me. The MD is always gracious enuff to put me a the same table all the time, after I email my request to the MD for that sailing several weeks before. I do not like the straight tables, center or by a window, for someone is always on my bad side..'n U dont wanna get on my BAAAAD side..cuz I completely ignore you

With YTD, it's the luck of the draw regarding the window-side tables. For YTD, they usually have them set up as "two-tops", and I have seen them pushed together in the event a party of 4/6 wants to sit there (AND there are enough tables available).

When all else fails, send John Heald a note via his blog. Make sure to include your cabin number(s), ship you are sailing on, and date of the sailing.

Good luck!

I have been on many cruises on all different lines and it is my understanding that the tables are secured to the floor - we even requested two tables be put together on NCL for a a family of 9 and were told the tables do not move. THe chairs move, but i'm almost positive the tables do not.

Archived