Baymont Inn I-45 Houston - good neighborhood?

2-laner

We booked this hotel a few weeks ago because we decided to drive down from Kansas on Saturday, stay there that night, then get up early Sunday morning and drive on down to Galveston to get on the Conquest. Hopefully we can avoid traffic at that time of the day. My sister chose that one because it seemed to have good reviews and the price was what we wanted, considering we would be there long enough to sleep and grab a quick bite in the morning. Since booking it, my sister let me know that she has now read a few reviews where people warned of the location being in a "bad neighborhood" and "never again". So, we are wondering if we made a mistake and need to bow out of this one and find another hotel. Is anyone familiar with this hotel and the area it is located?

"Good" neighborhood? Not so much. There really isn't a "good" neighborhood from downtown until you get to Galveston except if you get off I 45 around the NASA area. Is this the worst neighborhood along I 45 South? Probably only the second or third worst! :eek: Will you be OK there? Probably - if you've got street smarts. However, you're probably just as likely to run into "trouble" in the Galleria area. :D Houston is a BIG city with all that implies.

There are so many inexpensive choices in Galveston, unless its some kind of parade where Galveston is booked up .. why would you want to stop just before you get there and can relax close to the port?

Econo Lodge is $40 unless you are a senior or other discounts...Howard Johnson's has free cruise parking and a $5 pp shuttle across the street, and about $64, but not by the beach, but since you dont care about the beach it seems ..any decent hotel in Galveston would do.

A lot of the hotels I passed on I45 south of Houston looked shaky. Unless you are forced to stay there .. would make no sense to me. ..even if yours is one of the better ones.

I suppose one of the main reasons we decided to stay on the northern side of Houston, coming down from Dallas, was because we were trying to avoid traffic as much as possible. We figured that Sunday AM would be a pretty good time to buzz through the city central. PLUS, we are planning on spending the day around Galveston when we get off the ship on that following Sunday, and then make our way back to Kansas on Monday morning. We knew Monday morning traffic would probably be, well..., Monday morning traffic. So, we booked that same hotel for that Sunday night, to be heading out of the city, and out of the worst of the traffic, that morning.

LOVE the beach and the ocean; "strongly dislike" city rush hours. Give me a slow moving John Deere combine on a two lane highway anytime. At least I stand a chance of passing it sooner or later. I have hit rush hours in Atlanta, Seattle, Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis and San Fransico over the years. For a small town girl from Kansas (originally Wisconsin), my desire to meet Houston traffic - especially from what I have heard about it both here at Cruise Critic and other sources - is right up there with meeting the swine flu bug. We considered other routes to Galveston - very few options - but we need to make good time both down there and back. But, thank you for your advice. We might look up those hotels you mentioned and talk about it. :)

Sense you are coming into Houston on Saturday

and you are coming to motel on south I 45

you will be driving thru Houston downtown anyway to reach motel.

You might as well go on to Galveston.

The area at Baymont is not good.

Another 20 to 25 miles with little to no traffic on Saturday is nothing.

If it is not summertime, there should not be any traffic past the Baymont.

and motel rates are offseason ones.

Alos the construction projects are complete on I 45 south,

that you may have read about on CC.

What weekend are you crusing?

Along as it is not Biker Weekend or Mardi Gras Weekend,

you will be okay.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought I had put on there the north side of Houston. The hotel is off I-45 on the N-NW side of Houston out by the airport. (Bush International?) 17111 N. Freeway. On the Dallas side of Houston instead of the Galveston side. I can diffinantly see why you would suggest I go on into Galveston - I would too. :)

We are sailing on Feb. 13. I did check to see when Mardi Gras was, but, I had not heard of the biker's weekend. When is that?

Sorry for the confusion, I thought I had put on there the north side of Houston. The hotel is off I-45 on the N-NW side of Houston out by the airport. (Bush International?) 17111 N. Freeway. On the Dallas side of Houston instead of the Galveston side. I can diffinantly see why you would suggest I go on into Galveston - I would too. :)

We are sailing on Feb. 13. I did check to see when Mardi Gras was, but, I had not heard of the biker's weekend. When is that?

November

So that you know

the area that Baymont Inn north is in

is the continueously rated worst crime area in Houston.

I would not stay there personally.

Im native Houstonian.

The area around Bush Intercontinental is just about every bit as bad as the area around Hobby. Either stay in Montgomery County - north of Houston or go all the way to Galveston. I 45 through Harris County is pretty much bad, badder, baddest! The area where 17111 North Freeway is located is the Greenspoint area - commonly known here as Gunspoint...need I say more??????

Archived