Too much to decide from - help!

tiff123

We're only in Barbados for one day and I've dreamed of going there forever! We love beaches, snorkeling and taking in the beautiful sights.

Right now we are booked on the Shipwreck snorkel, jeep safari but as I said on a different thread I'm not sure if the snorkeling will be great as I've heard it is rather deep. They do take us to a beach and give us drinks and then on a jeep safari. We also have enough time I thought I'd catch a taxi to coconut court before the excursion.

But I am hearing about the boatyard and the caves - what are they and is there a tour company that will pick us up and give us a taste of everything - whatever that may be? I know that is asking ALOT! We tried that on another island and it didn't work out so well....

We're only in Barbados for one day and I've dreamed of going there forever! We love beaches, snorkeling and taking in the beautiful sights.

Right now we are booked on the Shipwreck snorkel, jeep safari but as I said on a different thread I'm not sure if the snorkeling will be great as I've heard it is rather deep. They do take us to a beach and give us drinks and then on a jeep safari. We also have enough time I thought I'd catch a taxi to coconut court before the excursion.

But I am hearing about the boatyard and the caves - what are they and is there a tour company that will pick us up and give us a taste of everything - whatever that may be? I know that is asking ALOT! We tried that on another island and it didn't work out so well....

I am not sure the boatyard would be considered and "official" tourist attraction but once you hire your own cab/operator they will take you anywhere you want to go.

I am sure there is a company or individual out there who will take you wherever you want to go...after all you ARE the boss. :)

While I have nothing against the big tour companies I personally believe using one of the self employed guys makes for a more "personal" experience.

[your own cab/operator they will take you anywhere you want to go.

I am sure there is a company or individual out there who will take you wherever you want to go...after all you ARE the boss. :)

While I have nothing against the big tour companies I personally believe using one of the self employed guys makes for a more "personal" experience.

This is what we plan on doing while we are there. You are so right ,we have found that by hiring a taxi driver , having some idea of where and what you want to do and then taking suggestions from the driver we have had fantastic time

• 2 weeks later...

lol.....

Okay - I looked up the boatyard - agreed.... not my thing. However, renting a hobiecat would be nice, but not sure how to find out which beaches would offer this. If I could narrow down which beach would be good to snorkle from, that would be nice too. So far I have heard Coconut Court, Accra, Folkestone Marine Park and Paynes Bay might be good.

For the caves - is it true that you take a train through them???

Finally - I have no problem with researching spots to have a taxi to take us to - but to hire a taxi for a few hours vs a tour guide - wouldn't that cost a fortune? :confused: Or do they give you a good deal knowing they've got several hours worth of business? I don't know how that works....

We've used the services twice now of Cameron Reid for an island tour. Cameron will suggest sights for you to see or, if you have specific places you wish to see, will simply act as your driver. He is very friendly and professional. Some of our favorite places to visit on Barbados have been The Highlands (a very scenic spot, which overlooks the ocean and is, we're told, reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands), Bathsheba, with its huge boulders and crashing waves, Gun Hill station and the marble Lion. Harrison's Caves is interesting and yes, it is a tram tour through the caves. We also liked Welchman Hall Gully and the Concorde Experience, but there are so many sights to choose from on Barbados, you won't have any trouble enjoying yourselves. Contact Cameron at camireid@yahoo.com for touring info and prices.

Thanks for the recommendation. In retrospect I think we should stick to the beach. We have very active 7 and 9 yr old boys - sitting in a tram in the cave and in a car for hours would drive them nuts. They can appreciate beautiful scenery for only about 45 minutes, then they get bored. At the beach they can snorkle and play freely for hours. We'll have to wait until they are older to do all the longer scenic tours. Or just come back and spend a week! :D

Archived