LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

We had an individual trivia on the Crown last year and there was one session with 15 questions and the top 3 went on to a speed round where the questioner just rattled off questions and you answered or passed and after a certain time your answers were totaled. Each of the three answered their questions in turn.

I won that one and the prize was a swarovski (sp) crystal piece from the boutique (the one i got was selling for $89)

Very interesting trivia today, given by our CD Richard Joseph. We had 27 questions; some one part, two parts and three parts. And, lots of prizes both during and at the end. Took a long time but worth it. Our team won a choice of caps or magnets. We took the magnets since we have lots of caps at home and magnets take up no space at all.

I just happened to pass by the shorex desk and there’s a bulletin board showing the sold out tours. Most, if not all of French Polynesia is already gone as are Pago Pago, Suva and Apia. We’ve been to all the FP ports previously and are squared away with private tours for the other three ports. There hasn’t yet been any presentation on those ports, but I guess people are not taking any chances and have booked early.

Internet reception for me remains a pain, inasmuch as reception in my cabin is very low. If I take it to the stairway it becomes “good.” Towards the back of the ship it’s excellent. I have no choice but to adapt.

The sun never really did come out today and in fact it got cooler. When I checked it at 3:00 it had gone down to 67 and definitely windier. At least the stock market is up. :)

I haven’t mentioned the Happy Hour drinks because there is no advertising on them. Two nights ago I asked in Explorer’s and the waiter gave me the LOOK. He then came back and said his manager told him it was no longer available. An hour later he came back and said yes, there is such a thing. Last night I deliberately looked for a menu and there was none. Very strange. I don’t want any of them, but it would be nice if I could tell you whether or not it exists. Will report back if I get any additional information. I do know that the drink of the day for the Elite/Suite/Plat. Lounge is $5.00. On the Ruby a few months ago those were $2.99. Inflation prevails!

OK........it's after showtime and we did attend. Eh!

Just another little ditty to report. This is something I've never seen in print. On the front page of the Patter today they informed you of the standard dress for formal night. Then there was a statement that said: "Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining option in the Horizon Court." Very subtle; very succinct.

Toto and Bill: I will try to get the info.

Thumper: Good for you. I can do trivia, but no way can I make a martini.:D

Nite all.

Hi Pia. We just got back home this evening so I haven't had a chance to catch up on your thread since we left you in San Francisco (I will tomorrow). I wanted to let you know that we watched your sailaway from San Francisco, waved a lot and got some pictures. Hope you are having a wonderful time and so sad that we couldn't say hello in person. Another cruise though.

At least the stock market is up. :)

CCL up $1+

On the Ruby a few months ago those were $2.99. Inflation prevails!

From recent reports most Ships have Marg., P-coladas or LI teas for $2.99 after 8 pm in all bars.

Just another little ditty to report. This is something I've never seen in print. On the front page of the Patter today they informed you of the standard dress for formal night. Then there was a statement that said: "Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining option in the Horizon Court." Very subtle; very succinct.

After seeing your comment and as a first time Princess Cruiser and you being a long time cruiser I thought I should ask your opinion. I am a San Diego area resident where formal is considered dress slacks, dress shirt/oxford, leather shoes, and tie sans jacket or Hawaii where I still spend time where formal is considered nice pants, classic shoes or sandals and your best Aloha shirt,(unlike tourists residents usually only wear Aloha shirts for special events) what do you think should I be wearing on formal nights during my upcoming 10 day cruise in the Caribbean? I do not want to ruin an dining experience for others but I also want it to be comfortable for myself.

Thank you Pia, and I have to mention that you have an absolutly wonderful thread and posts for those who dream of long term cruises and want to experience it vicariously.

Please keep it up.

Also do you do the New York Sunday Times Crossword puzzle in ink and did I see you on Jeopardy a decade ago?

Aloha and Mahalo my Moku Pe'a Kupunawahine,

Wow, just caught up on your live - busy busy! We've sailed several times with Rich and really enjoyed him a lot - Frankie was his assistant on two of those - I'm sure if he was on this one, you would have said so - in any event - hi to Rich from us. We won a bunch of champagne from him for morning show trivias. He is also really good about booking local talent in ports - hopefully you will have some good 'folkloric' shows along the way.

Mom's been cleared to do our cruise in Oct. but will try and follow along on your adventures as well. Have a lovely time, dear friends - hugs to Mike.

I can do trivia, but no way can I make a martini.:D

You will just have to attend the next Martini demo and remember to volunteer to make one. Not only will you get to practise under the shrewd eyes of the expert bartender but you'll get a free martini to go!:D

Message on weather you may have to look forward to in New Zealand; but remember, it's improving every day because it's their spring now.

[I]"Hi, the weather is slowly starting to warm up though a warm jacket is advised. We have had a spell of terrible weather lately rain & wind as well as snow in the South Island but hopefully it will be better when you arrive. I’m sorry, but the weather we can’t do nothing about – unfortunately! Des"

[/I]

[quote name='Pia1913'][SIZE=3]Very interesting trivia today, given by our CD Richard Joseph. We had 27 questions; some one part, two parts and three parts. And, lots of prizes both during and at the end. Took a long time but worth it. Our team won a choice of caps or magnets. We took the magnets since we have lots of caps at home and magnets take up no space at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I just happened to pass by the shorex desk and there’s a bulletin board showing the sold out tours. Most, if not all of French Polynesia is already gone as are Pago Pago, Suva and Apia. We’ve been to all the FP ports previously and are squared away with private tours for the other three ports. There hasn’t yet been any presentation on those ports, but I guess people are not taking any chances and have booked early.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Internet reception for me remains a pain, inasmuch as reception in my cabin is very low. If I take it to the stairway it becomes “good.” Towards the back of the ship it’s excellent. I have no choice but to adapt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The sun never really did come out today and in fact it got cooler. When I checked it at 3:00 it had gone down to 67 and definitely windier. At least the stock market is up. :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I haven’t mentioned the Happy Hour drinks because there is no advertising on them. Two nights ago I asked in Explorer’s and the waiter gave me the LOOK. He then came back and said his manager told him it was no longer available. An hour later he came back and said yes, there is such a thing. Last night I deliberately looked for a menu and there was none. Very strange. I don’t want any of them, but it would be nice if I could tell you whether or not it exists. Will report back if I get any additional information. I do know that the drink of the day for the Elite/Suite/Plat. Lounge is $5.00. On the Ruby a few months ago those were $2.99. Inflation prevails![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]OK........it's after showtime and we did attend. Eh![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Just another little ditty to report. This is something I've never seen in print. On the front page of the Patter today they informed you of the standard dress for formal night. Then there was a statement that said: "Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining option in the Horizon Court." Very subtle; very succinct.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Toto and Bill: I will try to get the info.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thumper: Good for you. I can do trivia, but no way can I make a martini.:D[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Nite all.[/SIZE][/quote]

Pia;

Thanks for the report. Not good news hearing that the Power Hour $2.99 drink specials might be gone.....:(:(:(

Bob

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Saturday morning at sea; smooth and calm. Puffy clouds and again sun is peeking through. Don’t know exact temp, but feels 70ish. Gained an hour last night, so why am I still tired? Probably because I worked a lot harded on the treadmill this morning. I need to unload those extra calories before they think they can stay with me permanently. :D[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Lots of stuff being squeezed into today’s schedule. We start our day with the Kwik Quiz at 9:45, followed by the first trivia at 10:15. The movie Leap Year will be shown at 10 and at 3:00, but both times will conflict with other things. We will probably see it on our cabin tv tomorrow. A culinary demo is scheduled this morning as well as another oceanography lecture. Afternoon brings another Radio Days lecture and a new one on Galapagos: the Enchanted Isles. Besides all the spa offerings and supposed “freebies”, there are assorted games and also the sommelier’s expensive wine club. The wine tasting (free for Elites) will be on Sunday. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Entertainment tonight will be a repeat of Piano Man and a repeat of the ventriloquist. We expect to watch the movie Green Zone in our cabin. I recall that someone was interested in classes. So far no mention has been made nor any literature received as to anything other than ceramics[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I’m in Horizon Court now getting a good signal, so might as well post this while things are good. Anyhow, getting hungry. Oh yes, won the wake show prize this morning. :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='gmcwalker'][quote name='Pia1913'][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]From recent reports most Ships have Marg., P-coladas or LI teas for $2.99 after 8 pm in all bars.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Yes. But they haven't shown a menu for them yet.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]Also do you do the New York Sunday Times Crossword puzzle in ink and did I see you on Jeopardy a decade ago?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][COLOR=red]Yes to the puzzle no to Jeopardy. It was Wheel of Fortune and that was in 1988[/COLOR]. :D[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]Aloha and Mahalo [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]my Moku Pe'a Kupunawahine[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080],[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[B]Pia - you mentioned classes. I'm sure I'll be interested in taking more PhotoShop - when you have a spare minute - which obviously you don't have very often:cool: - could you check out who the Computers at Sea instructor is? They have discontinued these classes on a lot of the ships, and I'm hoping the Sapphire is not one of them. Thanks Didi[/B]

[B]Second request Pia - if you're following our thread you know I'm organizing a Southern Cross Chef's Table group and now have 12 people signed up. Could you check and see if one person can sign up the whole group. I could arrange for all of us to be interviewed together? Any idea this early in your cruise how many Chef's Tables they might do? Thanks! Didi[/B]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]I’m popping in to answer some questions; those that have been asked and others that will eventually be asked. Also, some other unimportant tidbits. ;)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]1. Sapphire drydock - January, 2012. To be added will be the International Café, Sanctuary and MUTS.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]2. The $2.99 drink menu has finally appeared. Saw it in Horizon Ct. and Rich even mentioned it on the Wake Show.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]3. The most travelled passenger has over 900 days and no, we are not in the top three.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]4. The most travelled luncheon will be held on Sept. 30th in Pacific Moon and the cutoff was 358 days.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][I]5. Surprise. Surprise. We got another complete setup for both the 3 day leg and this one. I am still going to buy my Pepsi in Honolulu.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]6. I have no clue regarding the Chef's Table, but they keep advertising it in the Patter. Will try to find out whether or not you can reserve for a group.[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]7. No photoshop classes. No classes; period.[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Hey Pia,

Do me a favor:) If you see these two in the pic below, they are onboard as well.....Lets FREAK them out:) Tell them oohhhhhhhh YOU must be Tim's parents..HAHAHAHA :) He said HI......Say hi for me:)

[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/skyking517/Cruise%20Pictures/Pics046.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the info about the drydock Pia. I tried to tell someone it was January 2012 before MUTS would be installed, but they wouldn't believe me. :p I figured if you asked onboard, maybe they would believe that, but I think they still believe what Princess CSR's are telling them.........which is incorrect and what the 2008 news release put out. lol

You are going to have to catch up to those with 900 days to make the top three, you had better book a few more cruises while onboard to make up those missing days. ;) Enjoy!

Hi Pia,
Great to hear you´re enjoying yourself and doing quite well in the trivia.
Have you had a chance yet to find out from the photography shop/staf, if the Free Princess Photo Journal offer is still available on this cruise ... my post no 128 refers
Thanks
Sandy in Spain

Archived