What items do you wear ONLY on a cruise?

2SeaWithMe

When we vacation where it is warm, I like to wear things I don't have much time to wear at home, during that one hot week in August.

Only on vacation do I get to wear tops that show off my tattoo (on the back of my shoulder), maxi dresses, and fashion jewellery that is a little glitzier than my daily wear.

• 2 weeks later...

On past cruises, I & my hubby have dressed up more, but this upcoming cruise will be more about comfort and relaxation! (Its also expensive to invest in formal clothes the kids will wear only once, then out grow it!)

We choose Carnival for a more fun and relaxed atmosphere. We are thinking of doing only 1 formal night this cruise - mostly for a nice family portrait - we need an update. Otherwise, for me - I live in scrubs for work, so ANYTHING else is dressing up! :p

Hi There

I believe that on the Clothing Optional Cruise on the

Constellation earlier this year, many of the passengers

were seen wearing the Emperors New Clothes, :D

Sigh. If I want to see fat, naked people who are overfed

and underexercised, I'll simply look in a mirror!:D

OP question: a Tuxedo, which I rent to save luggage space.

I usually pack items that are at the end of their useful life,

but have one or two more wearings left in them, and discard

during a cruise. They may include (but are not limited to)

undefrwear, socks, shirts, T's, jackets, shoes, etc.

That's the second time I saw someone talk about throwing away underwear, socks and the like. I wonder if you all are on to something.

I am copying NASA's Apollo program. When they left the earth on a 363 foot rocket for the moon, they had everything they needed for a week, and left things behind as they returned with only the bare minimum to survive and souveniers. If that isn't like a cruise, what is?:D

When I cruise I wear dresses that are probably too short, too tight and too young for me. But I don't have anywhere to wear them at home (supermarket?) It's the only time I'll wear a bathing suit in public, and I also have been known to walk out onto the balcony sans clothing. I always feel like I'm in my own space and therefore I'm invisible. That ended this cruise when I ran out to photograph the sunrise off our aft balcony and looked up and realized there were people above me. AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

That's the second time I saw someone talk about throwing away underwear, socks and the like. I wonder if you all are on to something.

Am I unusual because I don't like wearing underwear or socks that are worn out?

Underwear or socks are $1/pair to have laundered. If I don't have room to pack a full cruise's needs I'd rather take fewer pairs that are clean and nice and then have them laundered for, more or less, the price of a Martini. Maybe I'm too loose with my money but I can't see spending all that a cruise on an upscale cruise line costs with air transportation and everything else and then wear uncomfortable and bad looking throw away clothing just to save a few dollars on laundry.

I have a whole closet of cloths I only wear when we take a cruise. We try to take at least two and sometimes 3 cruises per year.

Also, except for one occassion each year I wear a tux on formal nights but change the tie and cumberbun colors.

Also, the only jewelry I normally wear at home is a watch. But, when I take a cruise I wear several different watches and coordinated rings.

It is fun to change your everyday way of dressing etc. when one is on a cruise. A cruise, to us, is an adventure and why not wear different jewelry and cloths you don't wear any other time.

Main thing is to have alot of fun and meet some new exciting people.:)

I think it might be a great way to get my husband to throw out his old underwear...oops, laundry lost them! LOL

What a second.. You're supposed to THROW them out? I thought you were supposed to hang onto them til they're threadbare, then provide them a place of honor in the back of the drawer, like putting a prized stud out to pasture!

Am I unusual because I don't like wearing underwear or socks that are worn out?

Underwear or socks are $1/pair to have laundered. If I don't have room to pack a full cruise's needs I'd rather take fewer pairs that are clean and nice and then have them laundered for, more or less, the price of a Martini. Maybe I'm too loose with my money but I can't see spending all that a cruise on an upscale cruise line costs with air transportation and everything else and then wear uncomfortable and bad looking throw away clothing just to save a few dollars on laundry.

Not quite. "I said one or two wears left in them". Often, they are more comfortable than new items. Certainly underwear is generally under other clothing (OK - so some cruises are more adventurous than others!:D), so it will not show. I don't walk around with clothing visibly torn, stained, etc., but merely at the end of it's design life. Note also, that this is not to "save laundry money", but PACKING WEIGHT & SPACE - we have to almost inevitably begin our cruise at an airport due to geographical location of our origin point (Calgary is a lousy cruise port - my packing strategy would vary wildly if I lived in Florida, for example).

What a second.. You're supposed to THROW them out? I thought you were supposed to hang onto them til they're threadbare, then provide them a place of honor in the back of the drawer, like putting a prized stud out to pasture!

Hey, hang them on the wall if you want to! :D

Archived