Baltic Cruise May 24th vs. Aug. 31st

bhealy

I am considering a Baltic cruise on the Emerald Princess next year. The cruise is 11 nights. The price is about the same and from everything I have read the weather will also be about the same. The differences I guess are that one is the beginning of the season and the other is the end. Also that the days in May will be longer. Any preference?

I am considering a Baltic cruise on the Emerald Princess next year. The cruise is 11 nights. The price is about the same and from everything I have read the weather will also be about the same. The differences I guess are that one is the beginning of the season and the other is the end. Also that the days in May will be longer. Any preference?

You have summarized things well on the beginning versus the end of the season. Much might depends on where you are traveling from and what type of "escape" you need and when. Tell us more on your personal timing interests/needs. Having longer days in late May might be a good tie-breaker.

I assume you are looking at the May 24, 2011, cruise from Copenhagen with stops in Oslo, Aarhus, Berlin (Warnemunde), Tallinn, two days in St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm (but only 7 AM-2 PM) and back to super wonderful Copenhagen. Love your stops and the variety of ports offered. The August 31 sailing does offer more net time in Stockholm and less in Oslo. Neither is a "bad" choice. Both can work well. If you're a big college football fan, then the spring might be better than missing the opening of that sporting season. Sailing from Copenhagen is also very time-efficient in this schedule. You will see lots in a short period of time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yes that is the cruise. We live in AZ, 40's, no kids. Our main interest is Russia. The other stops are just icing on the cake. The end of August is better work wise, but we can do either. I looked up sunset times and they seemed to be around seven. I don't think that would be an issue since we would already be on the ship for most of the ports. Does anyone know if it will be more crowded in Sept.?

I was in Moscow 2 weeks ago and it was not crowded. If August works better for you and the itinerary is good do it.

Lucky you. We can't wait to see Moscow. August is better for work, but I think May will be less crowded because most kids are still in school. I guess I am looking for something to sway my decision on way or another. I may have to throw a dart. :)

Lucky you. We can't wait to see Moscow. August is better for work, but I think May will be less crowded because most kids are still in school. I guess I am looking for something to sway my decision on way or another. I may have to throw a dart. :)

Yes that is the cruise. We live in AZ' date=' 40's, no kids. Our main interest is Russia. The other stops are just icing on the cake. The end of August is better work wise, but we can do either. I looked up sunset times and they seemed to be around seven. I don't think that would be an issue since we would already be on the ship for most of the ports. Does anyone know if it will be more crowded in Sept.? [/quote']

You mentioned your love of seeing Russia, including Moscow. YES! Russia is wonderful with its history, architecture, culture, gardens, etc. BUT, are you going to try to do BOTH Moscow and St. Petersburg during just these two days while in port? That becomes super challenging! Sorry to be so blunt. In 2008, we did both great and different cities, but we had three days in St. Petersburg. Plus, we had a private guide and driver for the four of us when doing St. Petersburg in those two days, making things more personal and time-efficient. Tell us more on your plan. How flexible is your budget? There are a number of cruise lines that offer three days in St. Petersburg, but those trips tend to be the more-costly, smaller luxury ships. Not with Princess. Reactions?

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

You mentioned your love of seeing Russia, including Moscow. YES! Russia is wonderful with its history, architecture, culture, gardens, etc. BUT, are you going to try to do BOTH Moscow and St. Petersburg during just these two days while in port? That becomes super challenging! Sorry to be so blunt. In 2008, we did both great and different cities, but we had three days in St. Petersburg. Plus, we had a private guide and driver for the four of us when doing St. Petersburg in those two days, making things more personal and time-efficient. Tell us more on your plan. How flexible is your budget? There are a number of cruise lines that offer three days in St. Petersburg, but those trips tend to be the more-costly, smaller luxury ships. Not with Princess. Reactions?

For us it is worth missing some of St. Petersburg to see Moscow. We thought about doing a land tour, but we prefer to cruise. Unfortunately the smaller ships that offer three days are not within our budget. The only one I found close is a Azamara seven day cruise. I will keep watching to see if any sales happen, but it seems that Baltic cruises only go up.

For us it is worth missing some of St. Petersburg to see Moscow. We thought about doing a land tour, but we prefer to cruise. Unfortunately the smaller ships that offer three days are not within our budget. The only one I found close is a Azamara seven day cruise. I will keep watching to see if any sales happen, but it seems that Baltic cruises only go up.

Understand the budget challenge. Keep looking at the cruise options and see if one of the three-day in Russia cruise options would open up. Your practical challenge is from doing the Moscow trip, you will be back late, late to the ship. Maybe midnight or 1 am before you are in your room and can get to sleep. Then to get up early the next day to start your limited time in St. Petersburg will be a challenge. What are your priorities in St. Petersburg? That is a large town and the logistics take some time. Are you going to focus in main, central St. Petersburg and skip either the Peterhof or Catherine's Palace? Are you going to be able to afford a private, custom tour to pack in more in such a limited time? What's your strategy?

We sailed on the Star Princess from Copenhagen on August 30. It was a fabulous cruise. As we expected, temperatures were mostly from the mid-50s to mid 60s. For most of the time, the weather was cloudy. Don't know if there's much of a difference in the weather in May. We did not feel that there was an issue with crowds at all.

Rich

Understand the budget challenge. Keep looking at the cruise options and see if one of the three-day in Russia cruise options would open up. Your practical challenge is from doing the Moscow trip, you will be back late, late to the ship. Maybe midnight or 1 am before you are in your room and can get to sleep. Then to get up early the next day to start your limited time in St. Petersburg will be a challenge. What are your priorities in St. Petersburg? That is a large town and the logistics take some time. Are you going to focus in main, central St. Petersburg and skip either the Peterhof or Catherine's Palace? Are you going to be able to afford a private, custom tour to pack in more in such a limited time? What's your strategy?

We are planning on using a private guide for St. Petersburg. Our priority is Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. I am not sure we will have time for anything else.

We sailed on the Star Princess from Copenhagen on August 30. It was a fabulous cruise. As we expected, temperatures were mostly from the mid-50s to mid 60s. For most of the time, the weather was cloudy. Don't know if there's much of a difference in the weather in May. We did not feel that there was an issue with crowds at all.

Rich

Thanks, that is good to know.

Did you happen to talk to anyone who did the ship tour "Overland By Train To Moscow"?

We are planning on using a private guide for St. Petersburg. Our priority is Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. I am not sure we will have time for anything else.

THANKS for the added info and background on your priorities! Since the opening hours are not that early in the morning, you might consider doing a drive-around much earlier in the morning to see and sample the main, heart of St. Petersburg before heading out to the main, famed palaces in the "suburbs". Peterhof's Fountains are typically in operation from April to October during the hours of 11am to 5pm. Catherine's Place is Wed-Mon 10am-6pm. In a hour, you can get a good sampling of those outside views of certain key buildings, churches, canals, bridges in St. Petersburg. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our priority is Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. I am not sure we will have time for anything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You'll be seeing wonderful things however you allocate the time. In case you don't get to as much of St P as you'd ideally want these might be of interest :

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

We sailed last year, mid to late August and just loved it. There was that little hint of autumn in the air, in that mornings was a bit chilly and sunny, but by noon, the jacket comes off and enjoy the nice weather. On the ship though, it could get a bit nippy while cruising, but we loved that aspect of it, as we figured it would be that way in the Baltic.

as far as school and kids, going in late august, most kids will be back in school already so that should not be any problem.

Just from waht I've hears, May tends to be a bit more 'wet' than august. On our 12 day crusie, we had magnificent weather for the entire cruise.

I would vote for the august departure.

here are a few more pix of what you can expect in St Petersburg, since you mentioned Peterhoff and Catherine's Palace

Entering Catherine's palace, you are serenaded by a Russian band

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe671.jpg

Some of the magnificent gardens outside the Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster712.jpg

Inside, the rooms are just inspiring

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe693.jpg

At Peterhoff, some of the other buildings that make up the entire Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe718.jpg

Up on the first level, looking out towards the Sea of Finland

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Looking up at the Palace in all it's splendor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

You will have a ball there

Cheers

Len

We sailed last year, mid to late August and just loved it. There was that little hint of autumn in the air, in that mornings was a bit chilly and sunny, but by noon, the jacket comes off and enjoy the nice weather. On the ship though, it could get a bit nippy while cruising, but we loved that aspect of it, as we figured it would be that way in the Baltic.

as far as school and kids, going in late august, most kids will be back in school already so that should not be any problem.

Just from waht I've hears, May tends to be a bit more 'wet' than august. On our 12 day crusie, we had magnificent weather for the entire cruise.

I would vote for the august departure.

here are a few more pix of what you can expect in St Petersburg, since you mentioned Peterhoff and Catherine's Palace

Entering Catherine's palace, you are serenaded by a Russian band

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe671.jpg

Some of the magnificent gardens outside the Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster712.jpg

Inside, the rooms are just inspiring

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe693.jpg

At Peterhoff, some of the other buildings that make up the entire Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe718.jpg

Up on the first level, looking out towards the Sea of Finland

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Looking up at the Palace in all it's splendor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

You will have a ball there

Cheers

Len

Fantastic photos Len.

Thanks, that is good to know.

Did you happen to talk to anyone who did the ship tour "Overland By Train To Moscow"?

Everybody that we talked to was sticking to SPB. There's just so much to see. Personally, I was so focused upon getting the most out of our limited time there that I didn't even consider the option of a trip to Moscow. I did not hear about anybody who did that trip.

Rich

thanks ,and right back at ya for the terrific videos. Watching them brings back many memories. You sure put a lot of work into them. Keep it up.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len. This particular set did take a bit of effort, my next trip will be somewhere that doesn't result in 13 videos ! Anyway looking at your shots of Peterhof and in a particular those ones of the Samson Fountain, not only did you have glorious weather but the amount of water around that big fountain was much greater than when was there (June 3). I suppose it could be related to recent rainfall but I wish I'd thought to ask our guide at the time. The fountain pressures seemed good throughout so they were still terrific to see, but I imagine that some degree of water management is sometimes necessary to allow us tourists to see and hear the fountains and cascades. When were you there ?

Our main interest is Russia. The other stops are just icing on the cake. /quote]

In that case, consider a river cruise from StPetersburg to Moscow or viceversa. They start and end with 2 or three days in each city. You will see amazing places, like Kizhi Island, which are otherwise inaccesible. There is some real "icing on the cake" in a Russian river cruise. Look at Viking River Cruises, AMA, Uniworld, etc. You can also add a post- or pre-cruise to Helsinki or other cities.

we are going on the august sailing. I do not think there will be that many kids because they have to be back in school before the cruise ends. I also picked august as all summer we have something to look forward to. In may you still have the summer ahead and this year it was a hot summer.

Our main interest is Russia. The other stops are just icing on the cake. /quote]

In that case, consider a river cruise from StPetersburg to Moscow or viceversa. They start and end with 2 or three days in each city. You will see amazing places, like Kizhi Island, which are otherwise inaccesible. There is some real "icing on the cake" in a Russian river cruise. Look at Viking River Cruises, AMA, Uniworld, etc. You can also add a post- or pre-cruise to Helsinki or other cities.

Seeing Moscow is wonderful!!! It puts St. Petersburg in more "context" and allows a better "filling out" on the rest of the fascinating Russian history over the last five hundred years. The river cruise could work well or spend a little more to do a cruise line that provides three days docked in St. Petersburg. With three days in STP that some cruise lines offer, you can reasonably combine one day in Moscow with two days on a private tour to see the best of the best there. On our 2008 cruise, here was the one day in Moscow schedule, plus a few visual samples from there. Lots to see in Moscow!!!

It’s Moscow with its unique sights and sites, from Ivan the Terrible up through Lenin, Stalin and the new Russian leaders of today. After a stop at a new hotel for coffee/tea/break, we ride the Moscow subway and see a couple of their very unique and artistic stations. This subway ride offers a good sampling of real life for people who live and work in Moscow. You will see more key places enroute, including the home of the Bolshoy Ballet, KGB Headquarters, various Stalin era buildings, etc. Then we go to the Kremlin with its 19 historic towers. WOW, you’re really there!

Inside the Kremlin are three key “super stars”. First, was the State Armoury with its spectacular Faberge Eggs, plus so many carriages, crowns, gowns, jewels, etc. Second are the various historic Cathedrals within the Kremlin Walls, plus the Tower Bells, Icon art, etc. Third is the Great Kremlin Palace with its spectacular reception halls, inlaid wood floors, gold and more gold, fancy ceilings, etc. The Czars were crowned here, plus the current heads of the Russian government, etc. The size and scale of these areas are hard to describe in words, let alone reflect and capture the history that has happened in some of these rooms dating back to the late 1400’s. We’ve seen lots all over Europe, but this is something else for eyes, heart and brain.

Then, it’s outside of the Kremlin Walls and walking next door to Red Square and St. Basil’s and the re-done Gum Department Store. Red Square is so historic, especially having grown up seeing the military May Day parades there, visuals of Lenin’s Tomb, etc. Have the words “spectacular” and historic been used too much? Maybe, but it fits for many of these unique places. To be able to “CONTRAST” and compare Moscow and St. Petersburg during these three short days adds to the benefits of seeing both of these great Russian capital cities. Each is a very different and special city.

Is one day too short and limited? YES! You can, however, do and see lots in only that one short day. You get a small sampling above. How often do you get to Russia?

St. Basil's sits on Red Square and dates back to the 1500's/Ivan the Terrible:

1A-Moscow-St.jpg

The domes of the historic church inside the walls of the Kremlin:

1A-Moscow-KremChurDomes.jpg

The interior for Moscow's most historic church inside the Kremlin walls:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchInterior.jpg

Kremlin Treasures: Eggs & Jewels:

1A-Moscow-KremJewels-Eggs.jpg

The famed KGB Headquarters in Moscow where many entered and did not exit (alive) during the 1950’s and 1960’s:

1A-Moscow-KGBHdqBldg.jpg

Walking on the famed Red Square of Moscow:

1A-Moscow-RedSq.jpg

Archived