Our Baltic Cruise pictures

nancy_s_leong

Dear All,

Thanks all cruisecriit members who share your experiences and advices on the Baltic cruise, it had been very helpful for our planning before our Baltic cruise (5/29 to 6/5/01).

My husband and I went to the Baltic cruise in late May, early June, enjoyed visiting some Northern places like Oslo in Norway, Copenhagen in Denmark, Tallinn in Estonia, and St. Petersburg in Russia.

We tour them all on our own except we had a private active local tour in St. Petersburg. Oslo, Copenhagan, and Tallinn have excellent public transportation which was super convenient via: tram, bus, ferry, or underground. We traveled to attractions and museums by local mass transit. We bought the city passes which including free unlimited public transit (tram, metro, bus, and ferry) and entry to most museums. I highly recommand people to do it your own, more flexible and less expensive.

We met some very nice and friendly people during our cruise, even though the weather wasn't the best, rained in St. Petersburg, Copenhagan, and very cold in Oslo pre-cruise, like in the 40th F, and was super hot post cruise around 80th. We had some adventures, good or bad and make it our trip more memoriable.

Here is the link to the SHORT summary pictures:

If you have time, click on the link below to view 2000+ pictures of our connections with 11 Albums below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_s_leong/collections/72157624486541238/

Cheers,

Nancy

It was working when we were there in July. We were told by Seamus (who ran the Segway tour) that the idea was to show a live feed of the people in Shanghai looking at the Little Mermaid. However, due to the time difference, often no one was looking at it, so you in fact are looking at a video of a live feed! Seems a bit of a waste of time to me. I was also amused to see all the tour and HOHO buses stop so the passengers could take photos of the video of the live feed on a TV screen! Is it me?!:D

Simon

Dear Cornishpastyman1,

live webcam feed of the Little Mermaid was not working well since screen showed "Video stopped" when we were in Denmark.

See picture link below:

IMG_7308- Little Mermaid, Copenhagen Denmark

Thanks for brining it up, I did zoom in my photo again, it showed a long waiting line for seeing Little Mermaind. We took the picture in front of the webcam anyway. It was raining and cold, only couple yong guys passed by during our ten minutes staying. But we were glad that we did dropped by there. We were told that my husband and I were the last couple back on the ship on that day, they closed the entrance door after we got in.

It's nice that Simon got a chance to experience that "live" webcam, it's the event doesn't happen often, we may talk about it many years later :)

cheers,

nancy

Could it be that the webcam only shows where the statue normally is?

Could it be that she is on tour like so many other selebrities?

The following was a news item I happen to see:

"Denmark's famed Little Mermaid statue left her perch in the Copenhagen harbor for the first time in nearly 100 years Thursday and started a journey to the World Expo in Shanghai, where she will be the centerpiece of the Danish pavilion."

THANKS, Nancy, for sharing! The visuals really help you to size-up whether certain locations and options are of interest in planning your trip. I strongly suggest grabbing, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived