Cash

Ruste

We are doing the 16 day Asia cruise on the Diamond Princess. I am interested to hear how much cash I need in the local currencies. We have US$ but want to take just a small amount of cash for Nagasaki, Hong Kong and Singapore which we can use for taxi's etc, not shopping. As we don't know how much things cost we don't know how much to get.

We are doing the 16 day Asia cruise on the Diamond Princess. I am interested to hear how much cash I need in the local currencies. We have US$ but want to take just a small amount of cash for Nagasaki, Hong Kong and Singapore which we can use for taxi's etc, not shopping. As we don't know how much things cost we don't know how much to get.

US$ aren't widely accepted in Hong Kong, but your credit card is fine for most worthwhile shop purchases & proper restaurant meals. Local buses, trams, ferries & mass-transit rail are ridiculously cheap, HK$2 or 3 for most journeys and you will need cash in local currency - correct change in most cases, so obtain & hoard HK 50c, $1 & $2 coins. There are even senior rates. The Ho-ho bus has a very limited route & offers poor value.

Minor shop purchases, such as a beer or a snack, are best done in HK$.

Don't know whether markets accept cards, Stanley Market is mainly regular shops so shouldn't be a problem. The night market is mainly stalls, but they're very switched-on & many are used to tourists so possibly OK too. But you barter in the markets, and cash is a great bargaining tool

A taxi to the airport will cost about HK$300 - didn't need a c/card so can't comment. But if they do, & you need a taxi to the airport, you can change US$ to HK$300 plus, and pay the taxi with what you've got left & the balance by card. BTW, you'll be charged the metered cost plus bridge/tunnel tolls, its the norm. Taxis are cheap & plentiful, don't mess with a pre-arranged private transfer unless you are more than 2 plus luggage as the taxis are regular sedans & can't handle much luggage.

John Bull

You will need local currency in Nagasaki. USA dollars will not be accepted.

Usually, when we travel I will get local currency from the ATM machines. I find that the best way to go.

However, if we are talking about some very small purchases in three countries I just would go to a local money exchange store. Now it is very rare I recommend this because you pay more but here is what we've done in a similar circumstance. We figured out what we needed for the first country and if we ended up with too much money leftover we converted it (bills not coins) at the exchange store for the next country and then added any USA currency we needed to get what we needed for the next country.

Again, before anyone says anything about the extra charge I know very well that using the ATM is the best way to go but in the scheme of things if we are talking about very few purchases I would go this route.

In Sinapore they usually do take USA currency at many places. Hong Kong varies.

By the way in Singapore, consider using the Subway (you will need some local currency to purchase the fare card). The subways are wonderful, so easy to use and work out perfectly. There is a subway station in a building that is adjacent to the Singapore Cruise Ship Terminal and there are money exchange stores right at the first building at the cruise ship terminal.

Keith

Just take US $ and change what you need into local currency with on-shore Money Changers . In many Asian countries traders will even accept Aus $ and US $ but change will be given in the local currency .

The MTR station nearest to the Singapore Cruise Centre is called HARBOURFRONT .

Thanks for your replies they are helpful. We are to convert a small amount of NZ$ into the local currency and then use the ATM or card if we need more.

Just a word of caution. You will be OK finding ATM's in most parts of Asia except Japan where the only ATM's that work with foreign cards are at the Post Office, so for Nagasaski, I would cartry enough Yens to caver what you want to do there.

Archived