Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Would that be the correct blue for Fires?

Here's a link that I think is the same as the t-shirt I bought-- http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55405&vid=1&pid=771872&scid=771872122

Can you tell me if there are any other of the tees in our Fire colors?

Thanks for the tips

Kim

Hi Kim,

GREAT job with the blue t-shirt! That bright blue (color name: Bluest Eye) is PERFECT for Fire. If you are indeed Fire!! :D ;) Also great: Live Wire, Katies Kayak Blue, AND, surprise: Pink Stripe!

I am wearing the Pink Stripe long sleeve-T right now! I bought that as a welcome change of pace from typical solids. It is really, really difficult to find a stripe or print where all colors are ONE element, be it Fire, Ice, etc. In person, the Pink Stripe has a warm, soft oatmeal color between the bright stripes, so it works! The magenta stripe is Fire, the coral stripe is Fire, and the darkest stripe is kind of muted deeper fire with a touch of brown, if there is such a thing. I could make up a name like *cabernet* for it. So that deepest color is not perfect, but overall the Pink Stripe reads warm! And bright; brighter than it appears online.

Re: the other T-shirt colors. Online the Plum color looks like warm violet, but in person it didn't seem right. I pondered this color for a while, shopped at the men's side for my ICE husband, came back again, and it was just not 100% fire. Too much cool blue in it. Same deal with the Lush Green. It has definite cool green dominating, so I did not buy that either. I bought a yellow that is not shown online, and the Pink Stripe.

I bought this too!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60792&vid=1&pid=792305&scid=792305042 in Razzmatazz!! It is definitely bright warm in person. It blends perfectly with the warm violet Color Intervention cards from CJW. I had this sweater draped on my car's front passenger seat (dark charcoal gray) and this color looked on fire with warmth!

CJW has me wearing all kinds of *loud* colors!!!:D;)on792305-04vliv01.jpg

Actually, I "think" these are the colors I bought--

bluest eye

plantain

lush green

I also got this shirt in "red stripe" http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55404&vid=1&pid=792424&scid=792424032 LOOKS GREAT ONLINE!!

and I got this cardigan in "bright coral" http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=26519&vid=1&pid=771952&scid=771952042 LOOKS OK, but not perfect online. It looks like it Should be named: faded bright coral. Warm, but a little washed out. Not bad, though!!:p

Are these pretty close to our Fire colors?

Thanks for your help in getting my eye "trained" :)

You're welcome! I hope my opinion is helpful. Please let us all know how these colors work for you when you wear them..... dying to know!:p

Hi Kim,

GREAT job with the blue t-shirt! That bright blue (color name: Bluest Eye) is PERFECT for Fire. If you are indeed Fire!! :D ;) Also great: Live Wire, Katies Kayak Blue, AND, surprise: Pink Stripe.

I bought this too!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60792&vid=1&pid=792305&scid=792305042 in Razzmatazz!! It is definitely bright warm in person. It blends perfectly with the warm violet Color Intervention cards from CJW. I had this sweater draped on my car's front passenger seat (dark charcoal gray) and this color looked on fire with warmth!

Hi Terri,

Oh, dear Lord, have I actually hit the correct blue???? Can I use that blue as a control to match other blues in the Fire palette?

Thanks also for the "razzmatazz" color. If I can find it, it would be a good control color for the violet, correct?

I'm trying to find close to perfect color basics so that I can then use them as controls against colors I'm not sure of. Does that make sense?

It's a lot of fun getting these new bright Fire colors as I've mentioned before I was "diagnosed" as a Summer/Air 30 years ago and thought that's what I was until I started noticing as I've aged that my "Summer" colors didn't look so good on me and it made me start to wonder.

I then started reading the "what season are you" thread and it made me question even more. THEN, I contacted Curt and he "corrected" my colors as a sure fire "Fire" :eek:

It's so helpful when I can go to a store and see tha actual colors that others have identified as great matches to the Fire palette color cards :)

Thanks AGAIN for the tutoring! And, hopefully, I'm making progress.

Kim

Old Navy online seems to have colors that look the same but, have different names. Kind of confusing to a newbir "Fire" gal who's looking for "for sure" matches :)

I was curious when I looked online at Old Navy for the exact color names of the tees I got, so I put in the style numbers and this is what I found:

This is MUCH brighter in person: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771952022&userSearchText=771952022&searchCID=26519&vid=1

the green is called "clean green": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771878002&userSearchText=771878002&searchCID=26519&vid=1

the blue is called "bluest eye": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771878002&userSearchText=771878002&searchCID=26519&vid=1

the aqua is called "aquatic park": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771874142&userSearchText=771874142&searchCID=26519

the pale green is called "plantain" : http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=26519&vid=1&pid=771872&scid=771872302

I'm becoming obsessed I think, is this normal? :eek:

Obsession? Completely normal.

Just between us converted Air/Summer to Fire/Spring ladies, I think we get the most excited for a couple of reasons: (1) we go from cool to warm, big difference and (2) we go from muted to BRIGHT, bigger difference!!!! :D

And so we get to look good and feel good and we can see the difference from our past wardrobe to our newly acquired items... and we don't want to go back to wearing those muted pastels, at all, not even a little bit. So we don't want to work into our new wardrobe, we just want a complete do-over. Then common sense has to kick in.

The obsession lasts a little while. Then, you'll calm down and then you'll just start living life normal again.

The next thing that happens to ramp the excitement factor is your first packing for vacation. It's simply unbelievable how easy your suitcase will go together. Any trips planned soon?

Old Navy online seems to have colors that look the same but, have different names. Kind of confusing to a newbir "Fire" gal who's looking for "for sure" matches :)

I was curious when I looked online at Old Navy for the exact color names of the tees I got, so I put in the style numbers and this is what I found:

This is MUCH brighter in person: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771952022&userSearchText=771952022&searchCID=26519&vid=1 Online this looks like a perfect Earth color :D IF it is brighter IRL, then it's fire. Remember that color is a spectrum, and somewhere along the line, there is that changeover from muted to bright. There are "borderline" colors as you approach that crossing line... If this is one of those borderline colors, then it probably looks brighter when paired with your tried and true fire colors, but it probably could look less bright if I were to pair it with my earthy colors. There is nothing wrong with having items like this... one of the keys to understanding the whole color scheming is to understand HOW and WHEN you can bend the rules. This might be one of those type of items.

the green is called "clean green": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771878002&userSearchText=771878002&searchCID=26519&vid=1 I think this might be too cool for fire. I look at it and think it looks a bit frosty not firy... it's a bit blue... if IRL it has that granny apple green look? then it's a good fire green, BUT if it DOES have that blue undertone that I see online...then it is ice.

the blue is called "bluest eye": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771878002&userSearchText=771878002&searchCID=26519&vid=1 Already discussed...

the aqua is called "aquatic park": http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=771874142&userSearchText=771874142&searchCID=26519 This COULD be fire. If you look at IRL and think of the Carribean? Then it's fire. If it makes you think of walking on a glacier? or sherbet? Then it's ice.

the pale green is called "plantain" : http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=26519&vid=1&pid=771872&scid=771872302 This is NOT fire. It's hard to think that about yellow, but this yellow has a very green undertone to it, not the sunny kind of yellow that you need as a FIRE. Back on the season thread, Member123 and another FIRE were wearing a similar yellow and Curt explained more about yellow there...hmmm I think somewhere in the 60s pages?

I'm becoming obsessed I think, is this normal? :eek:

Like Member123 said...obsession is completely normal... I think that we all go through the phases of obsessing over all the color information, especially in the beginning when we all want to completely redo our wardrobes and want to train our eyes. I think that once you feel like you "get it", it isn't so much of an obsession (taking up so much of your time) as it is just a tool that you use regularly. If that makes sense.

I made comments on the way I see the colors above... Since Terri was actually in the store, her comments would probably be more relevant...

Obsession? Completely normal.

Just between us converted Air/Summer to Fire/Spring ladies, I think we get the most excited for a couple of reasons: (1) we go from cool to warm, big difference and (2) we go from muted to BRIGHT, bigger difference!!!! :D

And so we get to look good and feel good and we can see the difference from our past wardrobe to our newly acquired items... and we don't want to go back to wearing those muted pastels, at all, not even a little bit. So we don't want to work into our new wardrobe, we just want a complete do-over. Then common sense has to kick in.

The obsession lasts a little while. Then, you'll calm down and then you'll just start living life normal again.

The next thing that happens to ramp the excitement factor is your first packing for vacation. It's simply unbelievable how easy your suitcase will go together. Any trips planned soon?

Oh, my Lord, Pam, you've hit the nail on the head! That's just what I am thinking/doing.

We do have a cruise planned for January. It will be fun to try put my new Fire colors in my summer clothes :)

More later.

Kim

Like Member123 said...obsession is completely normal... I think that we all go through the phases of obsessing over all the color information, especially in the beginning when we all want to completely redo our wardrobes and want to train our eyes. I think that once you feel like you "get it", it isn't so much of an obsession (taking up so much of your time) as it is just a tool that you use regularly. If that makes sense.

I made comments on the way I see the colors above... Since Terri was actually in the store, her comments would probably be more relevant...

Thanks, Anita, for your comments.

The aqua color is possibly a little easier for me? It reminds me of the color of the water in Cozumel. We're divers and we've been to Cozumel numerous times. The water there is a variety of mesmerizing aqua blues. It's the most beautiful water I've ever seen!

I do have a question on the bright yellow. It appears to me here at home that it's a very pale bright green, not a yellow. Are there pale bright greens in the Fire palette? Or, is it just the Granny Smith apple green?

Am I driving everyone nuts with all of the questions????

Kim,

Nope. Talking about clothes and colors and vacations is FUN!!

Besides, when you ask questions, it just makes me think (which is a good thing). This isn't easy. It's kind of like weight loss; everyone wants it to be easy, but it isn't easy; it's hard work.

Shopping for your colors, sometimes, is so easy; other times, not so easy. There are some real fashion trends and seasonal changes that make shopping sort of difficult. Especially in certain areas; for instance, I just can't find a formal outfit that is a great Fire color. There are so many cocktail dresses and gowns that are ICE colors. And, what's up with all the black?!? Coco Chanel didn't us any favors in that department, did she?!? Anita knows for sure....

Terri had a great thread a while ago (months ago actually) where she let us into her Fire closet. That went on for a while and then sort of died away; it's always spirit lifting to have someone new come into the seasonal thread and start talking. Gives us all a boost...

I do have a question on the bright yellow. It appears to me here at home that it's a very pale bright green, not a yellow. Are there pale bright greens in the Fire palette? Or, is it just the Granny Smith apple green?

Am I driving everyone nuts with all of the questions????

The crazy thing about color is that technically, there could be a version of every single color that would be appropriate for every palette...

So if we want to talk about "pale green" (which just doesn't work AT ALL in concept when thinking about FIRE, but I understand that you are meaning a lighter color of green, or a green that is less saturated...), it exists, so long as it is warm and clear...

I can't help myself... I shop for my Mom whenever I shop for myself. Just because it can be so hard to find the right colors. A FIRE GREEN other than granny apple green is really hard to find. This particular color, called "plaintain", which is the name of a fruit related to bananas, which are generally yellow, is reading as a yellow color on my monitor, with a green undertone.

on771872-24p01v01.jpg

You would have to take a picture of this one, because as I said before, both my Mom and the other fire lady that wore greenish looking yellows were told they were wearing the wrong yellow... But the camera will not lie. I know you saw the recent pictures on the Season thread... the Fire lady is wearing that cold bright blue and it wrecked havoc on her skin tone... when in doubt... take a picture... know your store's return policy, or take a digital camera with you, or use your phone if applicable... take a picture of yourself in a known color in the store and compare that with a picture with the questionable color. The lighting will be consistent in the pictures so you can do a fair comparison on what happens to how you look with the two colors. If the questionable color makes you look the same in the photo as the known color, then it's a good color. If the camera tries to do some sort of weird compensation and the picture looks wacked, then it's a bad color...

You really need your pale green to read more like this does on my monitor...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR9pWys-epB4OECbbU01jpYg3-6aNyMvjoEneWLcr3EcDO8c0&t=1&h=167&w=223&usg=__kYmu2lNoahVYWOZ9fcJQJZUdzwQ=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqw4Gy4141wn85P9RJ65dZhFVqi6nH8BrfZ2lpS1Qig0pMV3E&t=1&usg=__8xkXuHl48JxSCkqWY5e0u8qYzlA=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXgrmU1WsxZTyfQ14BPXmyQY3Me1zDFv_IOGH8kgL98t2PRFs&t=1&usg=__mDrwqG7DCuiingfkc_y84M5chRs=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp1Q5s9ViXmBXXbeevY2xc7R8sjZyOeBtq00t2gT9zjrnu-oM&t=1&usg=__KWM4_hI4C2bOlH9vOIgaBB87I_A=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwQ-KkDWHeMxdvHUtmTZ7IshHPssAGWQPHUpeC-hgSLWoL__o&t=1&h=171&w=163&usg=__vwX9TkuaunUFNJDHrqgi0ZGYDt4=

The left on the left for the last picture. In a way, you could call all these colors a version of granny apple green... I think that the point is though, that if you are looking for a pale green, it needs to read like green with a yellow undertone and NOT yellow with a green undertone, which sounds ridiculous even as I type, but seems to be the truth...

I have found this to be true in general...

like blue... if it is a BLUE color and leaning toward the violet end of the spectrum, it looks cooler than if it approaches the green end of the spectrum...

green... if it is GREEN will look cooler the more it leans toward the blue end of the spectrum and warmer toward the yellow end...

yellow... if it is YELLOW will look cooler toward the green end of the spectrum and warmer toward the RED end...with most oranges being warm...

red... if it is RED will look cooler toward the blue/violet end of the spectrum and warmer toward the yellow/orange

violet... if it is VIOLET will look cooler toward the blue end of the spectrum and warmer toward the red...

Do you remember the blue-green crayons versus the green-blue crayons? red-violet versus violet-red? They were totally different colors with one being more warm or cool than the other. This is relating to the undertone of the color itself. If you remember seeing my post on green on the seasons thread, I made a collage out of all my different greens. When they were all together, they no longer looked green, they looked yellow, blue, gray... you look at the picture and you'd have a hard time saying, look at that green shirt... you HAVE to start differentiating the green... olive green, forest green, army green, avocado green, yellow green, gray green...etc.

Ever try to pick out a "tan" colored paint? You get all those paint chips home and they look pink, yellow, reddish, whatever... they certainly don't look "tan" any longer...

But this is the point of your skin as well... you are "flesh colored"... we all are... but you have a "warm undertone"... so you need to find the colors that have that "warm undertone" to match your skin... every color will work, so long as you find one with the same undertone you are.

The added element to that equation is the clear v. muted colors. Because of your skin type, you also need clear colors and that is what differentiates your warm undertoned skin from an earth person's skin. Wow. I talk a lot. I HTH!! I think this is all very interesting so I like to talk about it...please forgive me if I talk too much...

Anita dear, you do NOT talk too much. You are talking to a talker here :)

You have once again explained color in a way I can understand. I'm a very visual person--in Organic Chemistry I used to build molecule models with gum balls or jelly beans and toothpicks so that I could "see" what they looked like.

I find this discussion really interesting. PLUS, I love to shop but, as I've mentioned, I have champagne taste on a beer budget :) So, not a lot of money to waste on improper colors for my season.

Many thanks again!

Kim,

Nope. Talking about clothes and colors and vacations is FUN!!

Besides, when you ask questions, it just makes me think (which is a good thing). This isn't easy. It's kind of like weight loss; everyone wants it to be easy, but it isn't easy; it's hard work.

Shopping for your colors, sometimes, is so easy; other times, not so easy. There are some real fashion trends and seasonal changes that make shopping sort of difficult. Especially in certain areas; for instance, I just can't find a formal outfit that is a great Fire color. There are so many cocktail dresses and gowns that are ICE colors. And, what's up with all the black?!? Coco Chanel didn't us any favors in that department, did she?!? Anita knows for sure....

Terri had a great thread a while ago (months ago actually) where she let us into her Fire closet. That went on for a while and then sort of died away; it's always spirit lifting to have someone new come into the seasonal thread and start talking. Gives us all a boost...

Pam,

I do love to talk about those things too!

I have been looking fervently for a Fire dress (that is also cheap enough for me :) ) and having zero luck.

Did you mention that you've found some Fire denim? What and where if you don't mind my asking? Is it the denim that is kind of yellowed? Is this going to put me in a tail spin again like looking for and understanding Fire blue????

I loved looking at all of the clothing party pictures that were posted. It's really helpful to me.

Kim

Fire dresses:

I have these dresses: (Coldwater Creek, online outlet, very limited sizes left.) This is very bright and pretty in person, unfortunately I ordered my usual size and it is about one size too small: is it me or the dress? LOL ;-P

K02163_994_S.jpg

Closeup of the print:

K02163_994_D04.JPG

I also have this dress, again from Coldwater. It is indeed, a good Fire neutral that I wear with bright coral blazer, a brown blazer, a yellow cardigan or an orange fringe wrap.

K00492_015_S.JPG

I have this wrap and it works great with both dresses shown above. The color is Persimmon, and again from Coldwater (now available in the online Outlet):

H91830_249_S.JPG

Finally, I even have these shoes: Pretty, but NOT comfy. The azure is a great Fire aqua color if you don't like the idea of orange shoes!

K01918_404_S.JPG

K01918_466_S.JPG

Pam,

I do love to talk about those things too!

I have been looking fervently for a Fire dress (that is also cheap enough for me :) ) and having zero luck.

Did you mention that you've found some Fire denim? What and where if you don't mind my asking? Is it the denim that is kind of yellowed? Is this going to put me in a tail spin again like looking for and understanding Fire blue????

I loved looking at all of the clothing party pictures that were posted. It's really helpful to me.

Kim

HI, Kim,

Anita came for a visit and we had an absolute blast shopping. It's helpful that she's an Earth and I'm a Fire and we have the best time. Anyway, she's the one that helped me locate warm denim.

I should make a statement here that says denim isn't the BEST fabric for a Fire palette because it just isn't bright enough to carry the color that is truly needed to look very, very best. However, it's a fabulous anchor fabric, IMHO. For example, I bought a layered denim shirt to go with me on my next vacation. I love its versatility. My plan is to layer it under a camel jacket and also to layer it over an aqua cami. The denim looks fabulous with both the camel and the aqua and it just sits there as a great layering tool.

The key to the denim, as Anita showed me, is to look for the elements within the denim that make the warmth; i.e., just bypass the silver thread and go for the gold thread stitching. I got a great pair of jeans from Code Bleu that is a faded denim look, bronze stitching, antique gold buttons.

I'm a big Chico's shopper. Keep an eye on their sales and website specials because they've come out with some new colors in denim: antique brown, sand wash are just fabulous with our bright color tops and jackets. Also they have an item that they call Jeggings which are Jean Leggings and they are in a great deep chocolate brown.

The color party pictures were such a great idea and fun. I think my ICE party picture... the one where I got almost every single black and white piece that I had in my wardrobe... well, I don't think anyone saw the humor in that except for my DD. We were hysterical while we were posting those pictures! But that picture showed how far I'd strayed away from a wardrobe that would be flattering for me, personally.

Both you and Princess are such fun to talk with! It brings back all the giddy excitement that I felt when I started purchasing clothing that WORKED for ME :D. Wow, that was a good feeling. And let me tell you that it just keeps getting easier to see colors that are good for you versus those that aren't flattering. And it sure makes vacation planning easier... way easier.

Now, thanks to Terri, I have to go check out Coldwater Creek's outlet!....

Okay, I'm finally going to chime in here. This thread has been very instructive, but I still have questions!

Anita: Loved the purples you posted. I think I'm finding it easier to identify fire purples than fire blues. Many of the right shades are what I personally think of as "bright plum" or "bright violet" as opposed to true purple (which in my head translates as bluish/cool). I think we all probably have different ideas of what different color-words represent, but I think that for all of us, once we see a good example, it helps to think of them in terms of our own color vocabulary. (Another example: "light warm gray" means nothing to me; but "yellowish gray" is a way to think of it that I completely understand.)

When it comes to the blues, however, I'm still utterly lost.

On my monitor, the dresses with black have a very slight purple-ish tinge to them, which is the give-a-way for the ICE version of royal blue

This confuses me, because periwinkle is supposed to be a fire color, and periwinkle is nothing but slightly purplish blue. Is it that purplish tones are okay in lighter blues but not darker ones? I don't get it...

BTW, I'm due for a new peacoat - I have several coats that are long and dressy, but my one and only casual winter coat is a peacoat in a dark eggplant. Not only do I want to replace it with a fire color, but it's getting old anyway - and after vacation, I am DEFINITELY going to buy the green Old Navy coat that Curt posted here - I just love that color! :D (And my old, dark-and-muted addicted self never would have ventured to buy such a color.) I'm also going to check out some other stuff at Old Navy, as they do seem to have a lot of winter clothes in fire colors... which seems to be (unfortunately) rare. I'm not a big fan of that store anymore (quality has gone downhill in the last decade), but they do still have some nice things, and since it's cheap, I can get some fire-color "fillers" until I can afford to spend more money on higher quality things. Now that I see how important it is to wear the right colors, I'd rather wear a somewhat cheap-looking item in my palette than a designer item that's wrong for me... and I am all about quality when it comes to clothes, so that's quite a statement, coming from me.

Terri: I LOVE the violet color in that coat... I'm going to be scouring the racks for that shade!

And I have one more question. Can hot pink ever be a fire color? I have this super-bright pink cowlneck top, and I think of hot pink as a "cool" color, but this one really seems to be warm - it's not coral, and yet the undertone seems decidedly orange/yellow and not at all blue. It's sort of like if you took Curt's "clear bright warm pink" and made it a lot brighter and darker. I guess I'm answering my own question, but I really didn't think that hot pink could be warm (without crossing the line into coral).

Thanks for the patience, everyone!

HI, Kim,

Anita came for a visit and we had an absolute blast shopping. It's helpful that she's an Earth and I'm a Fire and we have the best time. Anyway, she's the one that helped me locate warm denim.

I should make a statement here that says denim isn't the BEST fabric for a Fire palette because it just isn't bright enough to carry the color that is truly needed to look very, very best. However, it's a fabulous anchor fabric, IMHO. For example, I bought a layered denim shirt to go with me on my next vacation. I love its versatility. My plan is to layer it under a camel jacket and also to layer it over an aqua cami. The denim looks fabulous with both the camel and the aqua and it just sits there as a great layering tool.

The key to the denim, as Anita showed me, is to look for the elements within the denim that make the warmth; i.e., just bypass the silver thread and go for the gold thread stitching. I got a great pair of jeans from Code Bleu that is a faded denim look, bronze stitching, antique gold buttons.

I'm a big Chico's shopper. Keep an eye on their sales and website specials because they've come out with some new colors in denim: antique brown, sand wash are just fabulous with our bright color tops and jackets. Also they have an item that they call Jeggings which are Jean Leggings and they are in a great deep chocolate brown.

The color party pictures were such a great idea and fun. I think my ICE party picture... the one where I got almost every single black and white piece that I had in my wardrobe... well, I don't think anyone saw the humor in that except for my DD. We were hysterical while we were posting those pictures! But that picture showed how far I'd strayed away from a wardrobe that would be flattering for me, personally.

Both you and Princess are such fun to talk with! It brings back all the giddy excitement that I felt when I started purchasing clothing that WORKED for ME :D. Wow, that was a good feeling. And let me tell you that it just keeps getting easier to see colors that are good for you versus those that aren't flattering. And it sure makes vacation planning easier... way easier.

Now, thanks to Terri, I have to go check out Coldwater Creek's outlet!....

Hi Pam,

I think we would LOVE to shop together too, don't you? It's wonderful that you and Anita have such a good relationship and have such fun shopping together.

If you find some "good" Fire stuff, will you let me know? I may or may not get it but, will at least use it to learn and compare correct Fire colors.

Here's a Coldwater Creek discount code that gets 40% off if you want to use it: NHP7513 I used it today :)

Thanks so much for you help. And, don't worry, I've got plenty more questions to come :)

I am soooo glad I'm not the only one!

You really need your pale green to read more like this does on my monitor...

... I think that the point is though, that if you are looking for a pale green, it needs to read like green with a yellow undertone and NOT yellow with a green undertone, which sounds ridiculous even as I type, but seems to be the truth...

I have found this to be true in general...

like blue... if it is a BLUE color and leaning toward the violet end of the spectrum, it looks cooler than if it approaches the green end of the spectrum...

green... if it is GREEN will look cooler the more it leans toward the blue end of the spectrum and warmer toward the yellow end...

yellow... if it is YELLOW will look cooler toward the green end of the spectrum and warmer toward the RED end...with most oranges being warm...

red... if it is RED will look cooler toward the blue/violet end of the spectrum and warmer toward the yellow/orange

violet... if it is VIOLET will look cooler toward the blue end of the spectrum and warmer toward the red...

Thank you, Anita! I know this was not for me but I found the whole post, and the quoted section in particular, very instructive. (I am still really confused with periwinkle, however.)

I also love how you get so many of your color examples (I'm thinking of the season thread as well) from nature... do you happen to teach biology or something? ;)

You have once again explained color in a way I can understand. I'm a very visual person--in Organic Chemistry I used to build molecule models with gum balls or jelly beans and toothpicks so that I could "see" what they looked like.

I am exactly the same way! (Except I would never, ever subject myself to organic chemistry... LOL) I am so glad you started this thread. :D

First off, Kim, I want to apologize - I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to hijack your thread - I just have a lot of questions on the same subject so it doesn't seem to make sense to start another one...

And I forgot to say last time - Terri: Love your style! I love everything that you posted above (and not just the colors)!

I have a couple of questions. These shoes are labeled "hot pink" but to me they look more like a warm violet, and a fire color. But I'm not sure, so... ?

782603_782604_fpx.tif?

And Bluefly won't let me copy the code for photos, so I have to use the link instead - what about this sweater in "blue jay"? I am having a lot of trouble with blues. I am going through my wish list and not having much luck finding cold-weather clothes in fire colors other than ivory, camel and warm brown. I want some color! Anyway, here is the sweater:

http://www.bluefly.com/Hayden-blue-jay-cable-cashmere-crewneck-sweater/COLOR_CROSS-SELL/303426303/detail.fly

And this one in "acid lime" I can't tell if it's really more of a yellow-green as the color describes (good) or a greenish-yellow (bad, courtesy of Anita ;))... "russe" looks good in the photo but I'm afraid it might be more of a fall color IRL... and what about "blue slate" (which is very inaptly named, since it's not grayish AT ALL - it may be warm or cool, I don't know, but it's certainly bright). http://www.bluefly.com/Hayden-acid-lime-cashmere-crewneck-sweater/COLOR_CROSS-SELL/307337212/detail.fly

Have no idea about this blue:

18871_BL6985.tif&tmp=prdDtIm

Or this one:

28764_BL8983.tif&tmp=prdDtIm

Finally, I love this dress, but I can't tell whether it's a cool fuschia or a warm violet... does that even make sense?

16691-1.jpg

Okay, I'll shut up for now. Too many questions, I know. I'll leave off with one that is neither cold-weather clothing nor a question, but just a great fire color dress that I fell in love with at ModCloth, only $47.99!

13036-1.jpg

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/The+Naturalist+Dress

Anita: Loved the purples you posted. I think I'm finding it easier to identify fire purples than fire blues. Many of the right shades are what I personally think of as "bright plum" or "bright violet" as opposed to true purple (which in my head translates as bluish/cool). I think we all probably have different ideas of what different color-words represent, but I think that for all of us, once we see a good example, it helps to think of them in terms of our own color vocabulary. (Another example: "light warm gray" means nothing to me; but "yellowish gray" is a way to think of it that I completely understand.)

When it comes to the blues, however, I'm still utterly lost.

Here is a picture Curt posted a long time ago. He had found all these FIRE shirts at Express for a rockin' deal. IIRC, he even bought multiples of these shirts for when they would wear out... His philosophy is to get it when you find it...especially in "the basics".

DressShirtsFire.jpg

I'm reposting this photo because the Season thread is so long, and you might have missed this post. Anyway... the blue in this photo totally "goes" with the other colors...notice that not one looks out of place or sticks out like it's "doing it's own thing." If you try to get too analytical with it, you might look at the blue and think because it is really BLUE and not aqua-ish that it looks cool... if you try to pick out the blue alone and analyze it... so don't do that LOL... this is the help of clustering and making color parties...

This confuses me, because periwinkle is supposed to be a fire color, and periwinkle is nothing but slightly purplish blue. Is it that purplish tones are okay in lighter blues but not darker ones? I don't get it...

"Periwinkle" is in every palatte...A while back, I tried to find the periwinkles for some of the different palattes...here is the post that I did...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24145490&postcount=2885

Here will be a very confusing statement... FIRE periwinkle is more of a purple color with a blue undertone, but the blue undertone is a "warm blue" ROFL

And I have one more question. Can hot pink ever be a fire color? I have this super-bright pink cowlneck top, and I think of hot pink as a "cool" color, but this one really seems to be warm - it's not coral, and yet the undertone seems decidedly orange/yellow and not at all blue. It's sort of like if you took Curt's "clear bright warm pink" and made it a lot brighter and darker. I guess I'm answering my own question, but I really didn't think that hot pink could be warm (without crossing the line into coral).

Thanks for the patience, everyone!

Mom and I have been in debates over whether or not "pink" can ever be a FIRE color. Because typically, that tone of color needs to have more of that orange in it. BUT when I think of pink... I KNOW that there are blue-pinks and more yellow-pinks, you know?

Now I remember the old school names of color in the big 64 box... and there was a color called "salmon" which was like a warm pink. It was more muted though... And I took my Mom's sweater that I could call salmon (it was muted, she shouldn't really wear it anymore...(tee hee))... and it looks great on me, even though it is more "pink" than coral...

My answer about "hot pink" is MAYBE, ...

Pink as a color is mixed in art by adding white paint to red paint... so if you add white to an orangy-red then you end up with a more coral-ly kind of version of "pink"... whereas if you start with a more blue-red and mix white, you get that blue pink. So, for all those reds in the middle what kind of pink results? Where does the line cross between the pinks as it does for the reds? And are any of the "warm pinks" NOT coral colored? Do these questions make sense to you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmGJpDEoi0fO0_Q2BQBDIzhX9MESzNWQthWzEJOcpTajdDIoo&t=1&usg=__-G9DQ9e8Dns29LciQHr75OixXNw=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcWCuKi7Afs2W3uFm2KablI51BXbrEH8LFbaTfI6fJDa1S-fY&t=1&usg=__1O9ZXXAjt2YNI2TvBhxd6x61Mns=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa_L2ZBAACCYeUveyXqxmmU6HO2A3uuEsuZI04E-zSvFmPd1k&t=1&usg=__0bpFWvAgXHbFAhMeic-vvaIsa0k=

These dresses are all labeled "hot pink". So the one on the far left is totally ICE. I hope you can see that on your monitor. And as the dresses go from left to right, they get more "warm" because they go further from the blue end of the spectrum, but the question is... do they ever get far enough away to be consider a "warm color"? The only way to truly answer this question is to put it on and see if it works on you. If you have a control picture of yourself (which you do now)... then you put on the questionable garment in the same "test" conditions... from comparing the two photos, you will see if the color is YOUR color or not...

Post a pic of you in that sweater on the Season thread and we will all chime in with our opinions... it's the next phase that happens after figuring out your palatte... now you go through your closet to see how much stuff you have that is IN your palatte!

Does that help? LOL.

Hi Pam,

I think we would LOVE to shop together too, don't you? It's wonderful that you and Anita have such a good relationship and have such fun shopping together.

Kim... Mom and I have a great time shopping together... It's fun to have Dad along too... between the three of us, we have FIRE, EARTH, and ICE covered... If the color doesn't look good on any of us, we say it's for Bonnie or QMadam! LOL...

It's just too bad that Mom and I are so far away that the shopping trips are only about once a year...boo hoo.:(

Here is a picture Curt posted a long time ago. He had found all these FIRE shirts at Express for a rockin' deal. IIRC, he even bought multiples of these shirts for when they would wear out... His philosophy is to get it when you find it...especially in "the basics".

DressShirtsFire.jpg

I'm reposting this photo because the Season thread is so long, and you might have missed this post. Anyway... the blue in this photo totally "goes" with the other colors...notice that not one looks out of place or sticks out like it's "doing it's own thing." If you try to get too analytical with it, you might look at the blue and think because it is really BLUE and not aqua-ish that it looks cool... if you try to pick out the blue alone and analyze it... so don't do that LOL... this is the help of clustering and making color parties...

Thank you, I STILL have not gotten through the whole season thread... and it's frustrating because some of the posts confuse me more than they help. (Not yours, of course, you are always perfectly clear. ;))

I see how the blue fits in... I'm confused, though, about the one on the bottom right. That looks like an ice color to me, even though it "goes" with the other fire colors in the photo... I don't get it. It looks the same as that ICE royal sweater that I took a horrid test photo in (or at least, the way that sweater looks IRL -it came out a bit different in the photo). I guess it's almost like a dark periwinkle, which leads into the next segment...

"Periwinkle" is in every palatte...A while back, I tried to find the periwinkles for some of the different palattes...here is the post that I did...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24145490&postcount=2885

Here will be a very confusing statement... FIRE periwinkle is more of a purple color with a blue undertone, but the blue undertone is a "warm blue" ROFL

Okay, so that post is helpful because I can see how the AIR periwinkle is more powdery and the EARTH one is muted, but there's no example of an ICE periwinkle. Although I don't see "periwinkle" on that chart, their royal blue and royal purple both look essentially like a dark periwinkle (and, incidentally, like the shirt on the bottom right in the above photo). So then my confusion I guess is mostly limited to the darker shades, and how do I tell if it's a dark FIRE periwinkle or an ICE royal blue/purple? (Without having to buy the item first and do a test photo!)

Pink as a color is mixed in art by adding white paint to red paint... so if you add white to an orangy-red then you end up with a more coral-ly kind of version of "pink"... whereas if you start with a more blue-red and mix white, you get that blue pink. So, for all those reds in the middle what kind of pink results? Where does the line cross between the pinks as it does for the reds? And are any of the "warm pinks" NOT coral colored? Do these questions make sense to you?

...Post a pic of you in that sweater on the Season thread and we will all chime in with our opinions... it's the next phase that happens after figuring out your palatte... now you go through your closet to see how much stuff you have that is IN your palatte!

Does that help? LOL.

Okay, as opposed to the periwinkle discussion, I actually really understand your explanation of hot pink. :D I would say that the color of my top is like if you mixed a bit of white AND orange with red... and yet it still looks more pink than coral-orange. (In terms of the photos, more orange that your middle picture, more pink than the gown on the right.) I will try it on and take a photo later, though, and present it to the judges. ;)

Anita, you are so helpful. You should really start charging for this, you could make a living off of it!

I've been web-window-shopping at Old Navy, and re-read through the posts about Old Navy clothes on this thread, and I don't think these colors were mentioned.

I am wondering about this sweater in Ireland and Seal the Teal (LOL): http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60790&vid=1&pid=770298&scid=770298032

I wish the green had a bit more yellow in it, and the aqua had more green in it, but I'm really not sure. I know the Ireland color was discussed in terms of a tee, but this looks warmer than that one (perhaps because of the fabric?)

This dress: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15292&vid=1&pid=789683&scid=789683032

In Marina Blue? Still having a lot of trouble with blues. (The same old warm-periwinkle versus cool-royal problem.)

Is this top in Goodnight Nora a "light clear navy"? I'm afraid it might be more of an ice royal, but compared to the "Crowning Achievement" shade it looks warmer: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55405&vid=1&pid=507719&scid=507719502

This was discussed in other colors (I want to get it in The Bluest Eye... it will be my first FIRE blue ever!) - but what about Gia Blue? Is that a bright fire periwinkle or a powdery air periwinkle? http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55405&vid=1&pid=771874&scid=771874032

I LOVE periwinkle and I have never worn it because I nearly always dressed in dark and/or muted colors (the few fire colors I DO have are mostly things that were gifts - maybe people were trying to tell me something!) - so I really want to get my periwinkle issues cleared up so I can start wearing it!

This one isn't a question. I LOVE the color "Red Aloud" - I wish they had more items in this shade: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55405&vid=1&pid=771875&scid=771875132 They have a few other items in the shade, but some of them are muted, and one even looks cool - I'm guessing the differences are due to the fabrics.

I wish Old Navy sold more office-appropriate clothing. I am going to need suits soon, and I have started looking, but have not found anything yet besides black, charcoal, light (cool) gray, and dark navy. I usually get my suits from Victoria's Secret (in seasonless stretch, the stretch cotton doesn't hold up well), Banana Republic or J.Crew, and NONE of them have any good options for a spring/fire. I am a size 0 so finding suits in my size is hard enough, most stores/brands (except expensive designers) don't go smaller than a 4, but if anyone happens to stumble upon good fire color suit available in a size 0, PLEASE let me know!

how do I tell if it's a dark FIRE periwinkle or an ICE royal blue/purple? (Without having to buy the item first and do a test photo!

Well now...that is the trick isn't it?

There are a couple of different things that you can do...

The first is to have a control that you keep with you when you are shopping. This is where you hear the talk of many of us that use Curt's color cards, or some other color swatch system from another supplier. Lighting can have such an effect on the way we perceive color. Ever buy something in the store that you think is one color, then you get it into the sunlight and you're like, what? This is the beauty of carrying a control. Regardless of what the colors end up looking like in the lighting of the store, you KNOW that the control colors are good. You use your control colors to make comparisons.

Another methodology along the same lines is to eventually use the clothing that you are wearing. Be sure that you wear great colors for you and then you can walk around seeing your beautiful self in the mirror with your fabulous elemental color on. Now hold up a questionable color to yourself in the mirror and compare what happens to what you look like in your own shirt. Do you look as good in the store shirt?

Do the same thing with your phone camera... take a picture of yourself in your current shirt with the current lighting conditions in the store... take a picture of yourself trying on your shirt in the same lighting conditions and compare the photos...

Start making a color party in the store. Use the clothes you are wearing...take them all off in the dressing room if necessary... Grab other KNOWN colors in the store... go into the dressing room and make a collage (kind of like I did on my shower door) and see if the color "goes" with your collage...

Try to accessorize the questionable item... My mom and I like this one especially for formal dresses... We like Gianni Bini at Dillards... I'll take that royal blue dress all over Dillards... down to the shoe department, grab gold, bronze, silver, pewter, black, brown, cream, whatever colored shoes to see what "goes" best with the dress... over to jewelry, handbags, etc... if the cool colored accessories are looking better...then it's a cool colored blue.. if the warm, golden accessories are looking better...then it's a warm colored blue...

It's really hard to wrap your mind around blue and purple being HOT colors. I volunteered in my son's art class. And the teacher was teaching that yellow, orange and red are the warm colors on the color wheel. Green, blue and purple were the cool colors. No if, ands, or buts about it.

I've found, on my screen anyway, a very cold, ICE royal purple kind of color for you to compare with that purple in Curt's photo...

DressShirtsFire.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhHoG5QeI53-gH55RbeCpQ5qY-qUBDddyPmoktIiVwIkG76M4&t=1&usg=__2W6_vZh-BX4i2rdm-ZHlINJF6P8=

Can you see in the "color party" that IF the color of the dress were the color of the shirt, it would be "doing it's own thing"? It just doesn't "go" at all. The fact that the purple on it's own may SEEM like it SHOULD be an ice color to you, but you can see how it GOES...you have to start trusting in your eye's ability to see the harmony and blending of colors...

Can you see in the "color party" that IF the color of the dress were the color of the shirt, it would be "doing it's own thing"? It just doesn't "go" at all. The fact that the purple on it's own may SEEM like it SHOULD be an ice color to you, but you can see how it GOES...you have to start trusting in your eye's ability to see the harmony and blending of colors...

Yes! I see it! :D

Thanks for all the great tips! I usually do about 90% of my shopping online... guess that's going to have to change! I mean, I could theoretically throw a "color party" on my computer screen, but I guess you can't always trust how colors look on the monitor as compared to real life, especially if it's borderline. (Of course, there are always returns...)